Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressBulkingChestSplit AdviceTeen

How to Prioritize a Body Section17705

CaptainKanter private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys so I have been lifting for almost a year now and have put on about 18lbs. I have significantly grown in every area especially my legs, however what I have really notices is that my chest is not as big as I would like it in proportion to the rest of my body. I was wondering how I should train to make my chest grow faster. Currently I am working out about 5x a week doing (back, chest, rest, shoulders, legs, rest, repeat).

My current one rep maxes for compound exercises are:

Barbell Squat - 235lbs
Dumbbell Row - 133lbs
Shoulder Press - 120lbs
Barbell Bench Press - 100lbs

So as you can see chest is an area of concern and I would like to make it bigger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Well, your bench is weak so I'd start by focusing more on that. I don't know anyone who can shoulder press more than they can bench.

What's your routine like? Are you eating a surplus? Check out the two stickie threads at the top of the main forum page. Lots of great info there.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CaptainKanter private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah it is unusual. My routine for chest is

Barbell Bench x4 reps with Rest pause at end
Incline Barbell x3 with Rest Pause at end
Incline Dumbell Flies x3 With RP at end
Cable Crossover x3 with RP at end

Then I do a tricep workout. What I was asking was how should I work out more chest without losing the gains I have made in the rest of my body

I am eating about 3300 calories and weight about 148.5lbs (about 13% bf I would guess)
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
What does that mean "Barbell Bench x4 reps"? 4 sets or 4 reps?

Not just chest work, but what is your overall split like?

Read those stickies.

There are some guys here that have a lot of great advice to offer, but you're going to have to try to educate yourself a bit before you get any real help. You need consistency, volume, and frequency to put on size.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I would get on a 5x5 program and run that for minimum 3 months and I'm sure all your lifts will increase by 30+ lb if you are eating enough. OHP form must have been horrendous if you can do 120 but can only do 100 on bench
Post 5 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
No 1 rep max for DL?
Post 7 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKanter

Barbell Bench x4 reps with Rest pause at end
Incline Barbell x3 with Rest Pause at end
Incline Dumbell Flies x3 With RP at end
Cable Crossover x3 with RP at end

I would nix incline BB, incline DB, and cable crossover. These are not the most effective exercises to build size or strength.

Instead: flat bench 5x5 twice per week and close grip bench press 4x8 twice per week. That gives you 18 sets and 114 reps per week. No need to start heavy... maybe start with 60 lbs for barbell bench and just the bar for the close grip bench. Add 5 lbs per week.

For size - big lats make your chest look big so I would add rows and wide grip chin ups... that sort of thing.

Finally, get rid of the bro split... there are more effective full body options in the FAQ. You could customize by adding a second chest day since that's where you want to improve the most.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340735 8 8
destitute