Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingDiet AdviceSplit Advice

Optimal bodyfat range for build muscle?17702

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
What's up guys!

I wanted to know if there is an optimal bodyfat range for building muscle? Will having a higher bf% make it harder to build muscle vs someone who is on the lower side?

I been lifting for 6-8 months and I am around 23%bodyfat and I'm not sure if I should keep bulking or start cutting. I am 6ft 2, I weigh 190lbs. And my lifts are very weak.
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard it's between 8 and 13% but I'm also 21 who is taking a 101 nutrition class and will forever be small
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hmmm, maybe this is why in the past even after being consistent in many of my lifts i gained a lot of fat and barely any muscle, bulking around 20-23%bf.
Post 3 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
I've heard it's between 8 and 13% but I'm also 21 who is taking a 101 nutrition class and will forever be small
😂😂😂

So what you're saying is, I do need to cut a bit and resume bulking thereafter...

I'm pretty sure I was around 12 when I started, but I have to be upwards of 15 now.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
get lean.... i wouldnt recommend getting to lean as a natural lifter as you will love muscle and also have big cravings and due to this will gain fat easier.

but i say get do like 11% bodyfat... bulking hard sucks. your appetite is hindered due to being highbodyfat( body doesnt want you to gain any more fat and also u have potential to get even fatter and create more fat cells)
Post 5 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelet
i wouldnt recommend getting to lean as a natural lifter as you will love muscle and also have big cravings
Wait wait wait, if I get too lean, I will crave the love muscle?
Post 6 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@Jelet wooohhhh, the ghost passes through! What's up dude?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelet
get lean.... i wouldnt recommend getting to lean as a natural lifter as you will love muscle and also have big cravings and due to this will gain fat easier.

but i say get do like 11% bodyfat... bulking hard sucks. your appetite is hindered due to being highbodyfat( body doesnt want you to gain any more fat and also u have potential to get even fatter and create more fat cells)

Bro do you think it is harder to put on muscle when your bulking at 20%bf and up? I am a somewhat beginner, do you also Recommend me getting down to around 12% before trying to build muscle? I am around 23-25% bf and I am finding I am putting on way more fat and hardly and muscle? Thanks!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@forgottenpass you say all your lifts are very weak. I think you should eat at maintenance and focus on strength for at least six months. It's strange to me that you've been bulking for 6-8 months and you're still very weak. You need to get stronger. That way you can move more weight over time and get bigger.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@forgottenpass you say all your lifts are very weak. I think you should eat at maintenance and focus on strength for at least six months. It's strange to me that you've been bulking for 6-8 months and you're still very weak. You need to get stronger. That way you can move more weight over time and get bigger.

But in order to get stronger and bigger i need to be in a caloric surplus right? which means ill be gaining even more fat. Even though i'm around 20-23%bf all the fat seems to only be in my midsection and love handles.

I was thinking of being in a deficit and getting stronger and once i reach around 12%bf i up my cals to start building muscle. But do you think i Will be able to reach intermediate strength on my lifts if i am in a 200-500 caloric deficit?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Take your time. Start off at maintenance. Get on a good strength routine and stick with it. After a few weeks or so you can start slowly going into deficit. As you get stronger and drop bf, you'll "look" bigger as body composition changes.

Some guys do claim to gain strength in a deficit. Personally, I struggle with that. That's why I said at least start off at maintenance.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Take your time. Start off at maintenance. Get on a good strength routine and stick with it. After a few weeks or so you can start slowly going into deficit. As you get stronger and drop bf, you'll "look" bigger as body composition changes.

Some guys do claim to gain strength in a deficit. Personally, I struggle with that. That's why I said at least start off at maintenance.

Sounds good man! I'm thinking of staying at maintenance and dropping cals once my lifts become stronger.

LOL, this might be a dumb ass question but, Do you think as a beginner after staying in maintenance and doing a cut down to 12%bf ill be able to build as much muscle after as same as if i would have if i just straight bulked instead on cutting? i feel like me cutting is gonna make me lose out of muscle growing because of the deficit and cause i'm a beginner?
Post 12 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Sub 15% works best for me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Should have stopped bulking at 15%, dammit!
Post 14 IP   flag post
340624 14 14
destitute