Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieSplit Advice

could use some advice17686

max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
so i have been doing strong lifts for a few weeks and full body before that for a 4-5 months. i am just burnt out on full body and i am finding stronglifts really boring. i hope i dont get yelled at for this lol, but could i do something like this routine instead and be ok for my goals. i just want lifting to be fun.

MONDAY-PULL
LAT PULLDOWNS 3X5-8
ROWS 2X8-10
CLOSE PULLDOWNS 3X10-12
BARBELL CURLS 2X10
HAMMER CURLS 2X10


WEDNESDAY-PUSH
FLAT BENCH 3X5
INCLINE BENCH 2X8-10
MILITARY 3X6-10
SKULLS 2X10
TRI PUSHDOWNS 2X15
FLYS 1X15-20


FRIDAY-LEGS
SQUATS 3X5-8
DEADLIFTS 3X6
LUNGES 3x10
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
How long will you run this routine for? I would get bored after about 1-2 weeks lol but that's just me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
as loQuote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
How long will you run this routine for? I would get bored after about 1-2 weeks lol but that's just me.


as long as i can. i just want something different than the normal full body or stronglifts type of setup. But i am still in a way getting back into weightlifting after a few years so i dont want anything too crazy or high in volume and i like the 3 days
Post 3 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by max12480
MONDAY-PULL
ROWS 4X8-10
LAT PULLDOWNS 3X5-8

CLOSE PULLDOWNS 3X10-12
BARBELL CURLS 2X10
HAMMER CURLS 2X10


WEDNESDAY-PUSH
FLAT BENCH 3X5
WEIGHTED DIPS 2X8-10
MILITARY 3X6-10
SKULLS 2X10
TRI PUSHDOWNS 2X15
REAR DELTFLYS 2X15-20


FRIDAY-LEGS
SQUATS 3X5-8
DEADLIFTS 3X6
LUNGES 3x10
HAMSTRING CURLS 3x10
DONKEY CALF RAISE 2x15


Also do abs every other day of lifting. Thats not a perfect routine, I'm sure its unbalanced as hell, but its better than it was before.
Post 4 IP   flag post
max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by max12480
MONDAY-PULL
ROWS 4X8-10
LAT PULLDOWNS 3X5-8

CLOSE PULLDOWNS 3X10-12
BARBELL CURLS 2X10
HAMMER CURLS 2X10


WEDNESDAY-PUSH
FLAT BENCH 3X5
WEIGHTED DIPS 2X8-10
MILITARY 3X6-10
SKULLS 2X10
TRI PUSHDOWNS 2X15
REAR DELTFLYS 2X15-20


FRIDAY-LEGS
SQUATS 3X5-8
DEADLIFTS 3X6
LUNGES 3x10
HAMSTRING CURLS 3x10
DONKEY CALF RAISE 2x15


Also do abs every other day of lifting. Thats not a perfect routine, I'm sure its unbalanced as hell, but its better than it was before.



ok thanks if there is something better i am open to suggestions. the 3 day works good because of my limited time. or do you think this one you changed a little bit will be good?
Post 5 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Stick to what solarplex wrote out. It's solid For a 3 day split.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Were the weights going up though? If my lifts were increasing every week doing Stronglifts i'd keep doing it. Was your diet and sleep good?
Post 7 IP   flag post
max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsn3004
Were the weights going up though? If my lifts were increasing every week doing Stronglifts i'd keep doing it. Was your diet and sleep good?


ya my diet and sleep is good, i just found it really boring and starting to have trouble adding weight to the bar
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Idk how you would be stalling on Strong Lifts when you started it less than 3 weeks ago. Maybe you started with too much weight. For a beginner, a program like Strong Lifts should be giving you consistent progress since your diet and sleep is good. I'd find the workout less boring if you are consistently getting stronger. Just my two cents.
Post 9 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
A key part of strong lifts is teaching you how to break a through a plateau. Don't jump ship. You reduce the weight and work back through it. swapping programs every time you have trouble doing what is asked is exactly why people go nowhere.

Ive seen so many people across forums say PHAT is complete bullshit and they hated it because it didn't work. Then they mention that they weren't following the rep scheme, the order of exercises and were cutting. At that point they weren't even doing PHAT and didn't have optimal nutrition for growing.

Get back on strong lifts and lower the weight and make every rep count. Even if its 'easy' that doesn't mean its worthless.
Correct your form, correct your rhythm, bar speed, rest times.

I bet any of the regulars on here could take just a plain old barbell with no weights and get some kind of workout in. Its not about the weight being used, but how you use it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
I think one of the worst things I did when I first started was giving up on a good routine and switching it up because I thought something else was better. Stay consistent.
Post 11 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
There's no instant gratification in this its all time and the effort you put in.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickFromOmaha
I think one of the worst things I did when I first started was giving up on a good routine and switching it up because I thought something else was better. Stay consistent.


Agreed. If one program was truly the best for gaining size and muscle, then everybody would be doing that one program.
Post 13 IP   flag post
max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
A key part of strong lifts is teaching you how to break a through a plateau. Don't jump ship. You reduce the weight and work back through it. swapping programs every time you have trouble doing what is asked is exactly why people go nowhere.

Ive seen so many people across forums say PHAT is complete bullshit and they hated it because it didn't work. Then they mention that they weren't following the rep scheme, the order of exercises and were cutting. At that point they weren't even doing PHAT and didn't have optimal nutrition for growing.

Get back on strong lifts and lower the weight and make every rep count. Even if its 'easy' that doesn't mean its worthless.
Correct your form, correct your rhythm, bar speed, rest times.

I bet any of the regulars on here could take just a plain old barbell with no weights and get some kind of workout in. Its not about the weight being used, but how you use it.



A couple years ago I did a five day split and made good gains. I been doing fullbody for around 6 months. Does that mean the more frequency doesn't work for me and I am better of 1x a week per muscle? I seem to put forth more effort when I know I only squat once a week compared to three times?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone will get noob gains in the beginning when they start lifting faster than they ever will. even if they are only hitting each muscle once a week. But it is not optimal, especially as you become more advanced and need to be hitting each bodypart 2-3 times a week.

You should always be putting in effort when you are in the gym. I'd do what @SOLARSUPLEX said. Don't jump ship, lower the weights, and make every rep count.
Post 15 IP   flag post
max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
ok that sounds like a plan, i will stick with it and see what happens. thank guys for all your help. i will check back again and let you know how its going
Post 16 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@max12480 Start a log and post your 5x5's and weights. Write a little blurb about what you ate that day and how training felt. Even if you end up talking to yourself its beneficial to read your own analysis of a workout. You might end up finding out that your workouts drag if you eat 1000 calories within an hour before lifting, or maybe they are epic if you eat 1000 right before lifting.
Post 17 IP   flag post
max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
@max12480 Start a log and post your 5x5's and weights. Write a little blurb about what you ate that day and how training felt. Even if you end up talking to yourself its beneficial to read your own analysis of a workout. You might end up finding out that your workouts drag if you eat 1000 calories within an hour before lifting, or maybe they are epic if you eat 1000 right before lifting.


i will do that thank you, so your confident this program will give me good muscle growth, as long as my diet is in check, compared to more of a split?
Post 18 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I'll just say, there is a reason it's a beginner program.
Post 19 IP   flag post
max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
I'll just say, there is a reason it's a beginner program.


What you mean?
Post 20 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Because it's not crazy difficult and confusing you're just making it that way. It's laid out for you already just do it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
340762 21 21
destitute