Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
AbsNewbieSplit Advice

Ab and oblique exercises17672

max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
What are the best exercises worth doing for abs and obliques
Post 1 IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Squat,Deadlift,OHP,BB Row...If that's still not enough,then cable crunches.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
Abs: planks, ab roller, cable crunches
Obliques: palloff press, one arm db farmer walks, side planks, woodchops.
Post 3 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Roll outs, Leg raises, planks, weighted planks, Weighted Bracing - Done.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
A very underrated exercise for obliques, and I think the most beneficial would be Pallof Presses
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenpass
Squat,Deadlift,OHP,BB Row...If that's still not enough,then cable crunches.

Despite bodybuilding lore, those compound exercises do not adequately train the musculature of the abs and core. Direct flexion/extension/rotation exercises as well as plank-type movements are necessary. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Don't know what they are called. But hold a weight in one hand and let it bend your torso sideways, then try to touch your heel with your other hand which forces you to rock back and forth. Keep the hips in one location so just the upper body is moving.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Side bends.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
If you value your back health, primarily stick to ab exercises where you don't flex your spine, i.e. isometric exercises like roll outs, ball pikes, stir the pot, planks etc.
The last thing you want to do is crunches and sit-ups, especially with a twist (rotation).
Why? Because according to Stuart Mcgills research, a crunch or sit-up generates at least 3,350 newtons (equivalent of 340 kg) of compressive force on the spine, and according to NIOSH anything above 3,300 newtons is unsafe.

And remember to keep your back neutral in isometric exercises, almost every time i'm at the gym i see someone doing an ab roll-out with a range of motion that they yet don't have the strength for, so when they're halfway down they end up hyperextending their lower back.
Same thing with ball pikes, but here they end up flexing it instead.

PS, my personal favorites are ball pikes and swiss ball roll outs, 3 sets of as many quality reps as possible (starting with pikes) two times a week.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340738 9 9
destitute