Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
My dad is pushing 60 and wants to get back in shape again. I wouldn't say he is overweight but he wants to get his body back into shape. I started strong lifts and love it by the way, could he start that with me
Post 1 IP   flag post
Red97 private msg quote post Address this user
@max12480 i would suggest he starts off with a simple routine for a couple of months just so he can adapt to the frequency of lifting weights assuming he didnt workout for a long time. Upon finished then he could increase the intensity and move on to more complex routines such as the stronglifts.
Post 2 IP   flag post
DiyanYonkov private msg quote post Address this user
If he really didnt worked out for a long time he should not be pushing his body to the limits because he might get injuried.Like Red97 said he should start doing simple routine so he can adapt and start doing it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Is there a simple routine I can find somewhere?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red97
@max12480 i would suggest he starts off with a simple routine for a couple of months just so he can adapt to the frequency of lifting weights assuming he didnt workout for a long time. Upon finished then he could increase the intensity and move on to more complex routines such as the stronglifts.

What would be a good routine to start him on
Post 5 IP   flag post
@max12480 full body circuit workout 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps per exercise. let him do it for a month, then he can move on to stronglifts' ps: make sure he does one exercise per body part, never neglecting any muscle and focusing on good form instead of heavy weights. remember this is just for preparing his joints.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red97
@max12480 full body circuit workout 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps per exercise. let him do it for a month, then he can move on to stronglifts' ps: make sure he does one exercise per body part, never neglecting any muscle and focusing on good form instead of heavy weights. remember this is just for preparing his joints.

About how many exercises should I include
Post 7 IP   flag post
@max12480 compound exercises, about 6 or 7
Post 8 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@max12480 a lot of overweight people are such due to metallic damage and inactivity...
So I generally get them to track what they eat for the week and track their steps... Then I can see what their eating and how much they move.
From here u have 2 very important variables to manipulate !!
If under eating start with getting more food in, some skip breakfast quite often, start there.
Then get them to increase steps daily or simply taking 2x 45-1hr long walks daily.
If he actually wants to go to the gym start with full body program with higher rep ranges to get them used to the movements and learn the patterns before a stronglifts program.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340735 9 9
destitute