Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

Bro Science - Rep Range17611

nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all,

So I've been doing research lately about different rep range. Seems like there is a lot of bro-science out there on this lol I know there's been studies posted around here & wanted to see what you guys think about rep ranges & goals specifically for muscle growth.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
From my understanding it's total volume which contributes to muscle growth. If you have checked out prilepin's table most of the strength programs are based off that table. I think it's not total bro science 10-12 reps does elicit muscle growth.
Post 2 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
I lift however the fuck I want.

Some days more reps than others. Or just the opposite.
Post 3 IP   flag post
LoxtonAxiosFoods private msg quote post Address this user
So muscle hypertrophy occurs across three types of muscle fiber, Type I, Type IIa, and Type IIb.
The primary kinds of muscular hypertrophy is sarcomere and myofibril.
Now to be clear, neither of them are entirely separate from the other. Sarcomere training will induce a little myofibril, and the same the other way around.
Type I fibers are known as slow twitch, and are the least likely to grow, but they excel at endurance exercises.

Type IIa and b are known as fast twitch fibers, which are the ones that produce the most force and are the normal point of focus.
Using around 85% 1RM for 4-6 will use Type IIb and 8-12 reps hits Type IIa.
The lines between those two types of muscle fiber and what kinds of rep ranges use them most can blur a little from one person to another.

Performing these rep ranges at 80-85% 1RM with proper diet and rest will begin myofibril hypertrophy, which is an increase in size of your muscle fibers. This is due to because of greater strain and contraction on the muscle there is more damage thus more hormone release.

Performing reps 12+ will cause sarcomere hypertrophy, which is an increase of fluids held in your muscle cells, water, glycogen, and minerals, which does have a place in assisting muscular health and development.

But the keys to growing the most is doing heavy compound exercises between 4-10 reps (my preference for myofibril growth) with around 4 or 7 compound exercises and 3-8 sets of each with at least 90 seconds rest between each set.

Two short sessions a day can be awesome if you're an advanced trainer.
For example.
But you can just as easily merge these but try to keep the session under 60 mins.
Session 1: Back squat - 3-4 sets, 6-8 reps
Good Mornings - 3-4 sets, 6-8 reps
DB Lunges - 3-4 sets, 6-8 reps

Session 2 (6 hours later or more): Leg extensions - 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Calf press - 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Hamstring curl - 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/6479274_The_Influence_of_Frequency_Intensity_Volume_and_Mode_of_Strength_Training_on_Whole_Muscle_Cross-Sectional_Area_in_Humans

Someone posted this a few months ago, can't remember who. It involves more than just reps ranges, but it's a pretty good read.
Post 5 IP   flag post
340768 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute