Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingDiet AdviceFemale FitnessIntroductionTraining Programs

I feel like I'm stuck17607

emmyweird84 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi! I'm new here. Was into bodybuiling.com for awhile, and their not a bad site. Just sometimes feel they're not consistent. But anyways, I've lost 100lbs and have become very much into weight lifting. Have actually started to see some awesome results. I'm 5'4 and weigh 150lbs. I would like to weigh less and of course get stronger.
But my biggest thing, I get bored easily and doing the same routine just seems repetitive. I've changed routines up a couple times, and know this is a big "no,no" because muscles don't have brains.
So my dilemma, I'd like to get stronger(toned), lose some more weight and actually stick to a routine. Does anyone have any suggestions?
And I'm pretty sure I'm not intaking enough protein. I notice the some of the plans on this website, women eat 6-7 meals a day. Is this necessary?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
welcome, you've found one of, if not, the best forum around. congrats on the weight loss and your pursuit of more knowledge. 4 steps for success:
1. read the stickies
2. re-read the stickies
3. repeat as needed
4. apply what you read
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
The number of meals you eat doesn't matter. Just do what best fits your lifestyle and preference.

If you're getting bored with routines, try setting goals for yourself. You say you want to get stronger, so decide how much you want to lift on each exercise, and don't quit on a routine until you reach it.

Like @Salokin said, read the stickies, they have lots of good info that will help answer some questions.

Nice job on the weight loss!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks @Salokin and @Beans!!
I'll definitely have to read the stickies. And as far as weight goals, I'll have to start that as well.

Does anyone know if the training guide, titled Ultimate Female Training guide is a good program to follow?
Post 4 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyweird84
So my dilemma, I'd like to get stronger(toned), lose some more weight and actually stick to a routine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As described in the stickies your goals (get stronger/lose weight) conflict with one another so choose a direction and stick with it.

It's important to choose a routine designed by a professional. But some routines are more fun than others so find one that appeals to you. It's a good idea to get in the mindset of embracing the compound exercises because those will help you get the strongest the fastest.

Finally, this article on t-nation is worth a read:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/steps-to-getting-your-girl-to-train
Post 5 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats that's an amazing weight loss achievement !!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Parrothead private msg quote post Address this user
Good job on the weightless! I've just started this journey so take what I say with a grain of salt. If boredom was an issue for me, I'd get on one of the lifting websites and find lists of exercises for each part. Assign parts to each workout day. Mine currently looks like this:

M-biceps and back, abs
T-triceps and chest
W-shoulders and abs
Th-Legs
F-biceps, triceps, abs

Then find the exercises for each part and rotate them for a period of four weeks. So like on Mondays, I'd find 20 different bicep exercises and do three or four favorites each Monday. You are still working the same muscles for your routine, but your routine is longer than a week at a time. Does that make sense?

Look at my routine. I have abs three days a week, but have 9 different exercise split three ways.

Eggs - hardball them and keep them as snacks (if you like the). Eggs are like perfect protein and relatively low cal.

It is difficult to cut and shred at the same time. I'm still 19 pounds from my ultimate goal. (I've lost 70 in a year's time.) But now I'm starting to work on building muscle. With more muscle, the more calories one burns. I'm hoping eventually the muscle will displace the fat that is left and make it go away.

Good luck!

Peace,
Chuck
Post 7 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead
It is difficult to cut and shred at the same time

Cut and shred are synonymous.
Post 8 IP   flag post
LoxtonAxiosFoods private msg quote post Address this user
Being unable to cut whilst gain strength depends entirely on nutrition/rest and training technique.

Well enough counted macro-nutrients + timing them into your day around your goals whilst training in the correct manner for strength which is practically synonymous with muscular gain is perfectly doable.

Don't waste your time doing isolated exercises. Only aim at bigger compound movements. It'll recruit more muscle fiber, release more hormone, allow for heavier reps and as such greater muscular damage for more growth, which also ties into neuromuscular conditioning.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Gonna make a rough estimate here and say that 85% of that ^ is nonsensical BS, as in bro science. But I'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoxtonAxiosFoods
Only aim at bigger compound movements. It'll release more hormone

Please provide some literature that corroborates this.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Link to explaining the role of IGF1 hormone, and the various linking hormones and how it leads to somatotropin.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3143906/
But to simplify, as my original post was simplified for easier digestion.
Greater muscular recruitment+stress (better achieved in heavy compound actions) assists/leads to release of IGF1.
Mind you, it is a complex process and there are a great many points to it that affect overall function.
Age, health, bone density, nutrition so on...
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
The latest research suggests that exercise-induced increases in hormones are transient and not causative of increased growth. In fact, greater gains were associated with increases in cortisol than test or GH/IGF-1. -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
@eknight I mean this in a good way so it's not misread as argumentative, but do you know who did that study? I'd love to read up on it??
I love to keep up with all the most recent studies, but admittedly haven't had much time the past year to be as active as I used to be.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@eknight Nevermind! Just found a study along the lines of what you mentioned!
When was the one you were referring to done?
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
It wasn't a singular study, I don't think. If I recall Stuart Phillips had 5 or 6 peer reviewed pieces. Here's one of them, but if you do a google scholar search with the author's name and some of the key words, you should find the others. Layne Norton linked them in his Twitter, but that was a while ago.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371329/pdf/421_2011_Article_2246.pdf

-3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
The research has been around since 2009. Here's a link discussing two of the papers: http://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/html/opr/media/main/NewsReleases/Researchdebunksbodybuildingmythgrowthpromotinghormonesdontpromotegrowthorstrength.htm -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ahh that first one is what I just found!
Interesting stuff! I'll have fun absorbing this.

But as I understand it, Cortisol induced from exercise (haven't read that full study yet, but will do shortly) still has the greatest release from the maximum strain placed upon a lot of muscular fiber at once?
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Absolutely. But the subsequent hypertrophy is not because of increases in IGF-1 as you proposed. This also dispenses with the idea that workouts longer than an hour are not beneficial because of the cortisol boogie man. -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm coming to understand that more now(about IGF-1/cortisol). Fantastic study this is!
It goes against a lot of commonly accepted information and is shocking that this new updated information isn't included in many educational points.

But my point with my last reply, in method, despite my info about IGF-1 being outdated, so just in method, and as explained by this new information, my point regarding maximum muscle recruitment (through compound actions) was correct?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Somewhere among all of this I'm realizing my body chemistry knowledge is null.
But nonetheless, it is all great advice. Looks I have some reading to do today during my lunch break.
Thanks everyone!!
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoxtonAxiosFoods
I'm coming to understand that more now(about IGF-1/cortisol). Fantastic study this is!
It goes against a lot of commonly accepted information and is shocking that this new updated information isn't included in many educational points.

But my point with my last reply, in method, despite my info about IGF-1 being outdated, so just in method, and as explained by this new information, my point regarding maximum muscle recruitment (through compound actions) was correct?

Not always. Compound movements are fantastic, but there are no compound movements that will effectively work some musculature the way isolations will. For example, deadlifts are fantastic exercises in any variation, but they're not appropriate as the only hamstring movement and shouldn't be used as such; they're best suited in conjunction with an isolation knee flexion movement (i.e., leg curl). -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
I should have said I meant that in a basic sense.
That is what my original post was pointing out. About employing as many compounds as possible. So then of course applying the intra-connected isolated exercise around them.
I should have elaborated that.
Thank you for the new sources as well @eknight
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyweird84
Somewhere among all of this I'm realizing my body chemistry knowledge is null.
But nonetheless, it is all great advice. Looks I have some reading to do today during my lunch break.
Thanks everyone!!

Seeking to know more is always beneficial!
As my original advice went, lots of compound actions with connected isolations at high intensity will do you wonders with consistency.(progressive overload)
So to the somewhat needlessly derisive comment from RobotEars, nothing I said was remotely BroScience, and was based off real scientific study which was merely out of date, but in action still completely applicable to recent studies results.
Post 23 IP   flag post
So note to self...don't say BroScience to you.
But on another note, I do compound with isolated exercises already. Though I will have to do more high intensity with consistency. Plus consuming more macro-nutrients.
Post 24 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@LoxtonAxiosFoods u handled ur marked well in this thread dude.. Not many will accept contrasts to their own CURRENT beliefs so well.. Most cry and get defensive and aggressive.
It's hard to keep up with the @ek monster but u did well. 😁
Post 25 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi haha thanks I guess 😅
knowledge is an awesome tool if you know how to use it,so if anyone can fill me in on new or lacking information then I'll be a sponge to that 😊
Post 26 IP   flag post
@LoxtonAxiosFoods Derisive… looks like we all learned something today. I was severely victimized by BS, and as result am quite sensitive to misinformation. This forum has been my salvation, and I now use it to filter everything I hear/read BB related. I wasn’t trying to come at you sideways—or should I say derisively—but rather ensure the information flow is accurate. I won’t pretend that I can hold a candle to the knowledge and experience of dudes around here, and if you’re another contributor, great. Reps for being Aussie and call it even...I’m currently deployed with some of your Air Force guys and they crack me up on the daily.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'm feeling slightly responsible now.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@emmyweird84 For what? You came to learn, and found a very good place to do just that. The whole idea of a forum is to share information. Sometimes people disagree and/or interpret things differently, no fault there. Look at the result--you probably learned more than you ever bargained for . No harm; no foul.
Post 29 IP   flag post
You know you're absolutely correct about learning more than I bargained for lol.
But I'm kinda enjoying it.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340618 30 30
destitute