Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressSplit Advice

Bench press increase for 10 reps?17585

SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I've had a personal goal to be able to hit a set of flat bench at 225lb for 10 reps.

I'm currently able to do 205 for 10 and 225 for about 6.

How would you guys program to get me to where I'm at.

My timeline is to attempt the lift on the last day of February.

I'm currently running PPL with 2 or 3 rest days a week and eating in a pretty hefty surplus.

How should I maximize my training for my goal. Thanks guys
Post 1 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
testosterone
Post 2 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
testosterone

😬😬😬😬😬😬
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Bucky I'll hit up gnc and buy some t booster for sure. 🤓
Post 4 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX I would bench 2x per week and focus on low reps (to get stronger which will improve your 10 rep max).

For simplicity, I would base your Power days on 531 which is based off 90% of your 1RM.

For the dynamic day I would rotate each week: 3x8@60%, 3x7@65%, 3x6@70, deload... (for these sets the % would be based off 100% of your 1RM

Accessories... best accessories imo are floor press and rolling DB extensions. But the main thing is to bench. A lot.

Final thoughts...

- Make sure your form is dialed in. Tight tight tight, squeeze bar, arch, etc.

- Work with a spotter

- Calorie surplus

- t booster (j/k)
Post 5 IP   flag post
@mikew I'm sure my form could improve but it's pretty decent in my opinion.

I'll do some mathing with percentages based off my 1rm and see what comes up. Perhaps I'm already training near Those numbers.

Thanks for the answer bud!

Test booster is in the mail btw. 12000mg of test e
Post 6 IP   flag post
bslo private msg quote post Address this user
My favorite bench accessoris are pin presses and floor presses.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
@bslo agreed, pin pressing testosterone is my favorite
Post 8 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX juggernaut
Post 9 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnersNeverQuit
@SOLARSUPLEX juggernaut

This, got my bench up 20+kg, in about 6 months.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
@bslo I've never tried pin presses, but I am a firm believer in Floor Presses. Relatively new to them, but think they work wonders.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Although accessory work can really help, You can record yourself to see if you are doing everything correct (Set up, feet, elbow flare). You'd be surprised how a minor tweak can help.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
Why dont you increase bench frequency do some daily undulating strength,power and hypertrophy.
Post 13 IP   flag post
silverisshredded private msg quote post Address this user
Not trying to be spammy, but my article could definitely can help here - http://stanimirmihov.com/x-best-tips-to-improve-lagging-body-parts/
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm going to start up of build a program very soon here. May be having some help from rude with the programming. I'm definitely going to incorporate floor presses as I have heard great things about them.

In terms of hitting delts, I hit them on the same day as benching. Should I not be doing any direct front delt work because of how much pressing I'm about to be doing?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@SOLARSUPLEX I hit them too on the same day as benching. Usually an overhead press movement and the occasional lateral raises is sufficient for me.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Jsn3004 hoping you hit rear delts on your pull/back/deadlift day?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I think i'll use this as a bit of a log considering the majority of you enjoy following a good PR train.

I did a little check the other day and i hit 210 for 8 reps. Was really hoping for a full 10. To my defense, diet was pretty shite and I thought I was getting sick.

Will update with future push days and progress.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Hit push yesterday.

Worked up to 225 and hit 5 triples with a 2 times hitting 4. Then I repped a few sets at 135.

Did some other chest BB style stuff and then did smith floor presses with 245.

There was no good place to do db floor press since I was in the gym at prime time.

Hit a new PR on weighted dips. Set of 10 with a 45 attached.

Trying to eat a ton. I have mfp set at 4000 calories...
Post 19 IP   flag post
Went on vacation and had a fuckin blast in disneyland and CA for a week. Lifted twice and just did a ton of lateral raises because their DB only went up to 20lb.

Then got back and got sick. have had a nasty cold and upset stomach for about 4 days now. Finally got my self together and got in the gym yesterday. Did a little full body thing to get some blood moving around the muscles.

Today hit most of push.

Important to note that i am training with my GF and she does not have nearly the same amount of stamina i do when it comes to volume and she gets pretty burned out after around 16 sets.
5min cardio
5min shoulder warm up with bands and DB's
Flat bench
12 x 95lb
10 x 135lb
10 x 205b with spot on last 2
3 x 225
3 x 230
3 x 230

I need to hit more triples and i think i kinda killed some energy with that set of 205. Rest times were actually within 1-2minutes for every set.

Then did machine press work for mostly 3 sets of 8-15 reps on 3 machines.

Weighted dibs 2 x 10 @ bw+45lb
tricep press down 3 x 10 @ 65 (triangle handle)
1 arm tricep press down 4 x 20,15,15,10 @ 10b ( no handle)

Hit some abs and left.

Im currently doing PPL but i think i really want to start hitting legs more to help them grow. Thinking i may do:
Upper Hyper
Lower Heavy
Rest
Upper Heavy
Lower Hyper
Rest
Repeat

On my Upper heavy days ill just do triples on flat bench for a ton of sets and then do a more traditional pyramid style training on those other days.

Finally able to get more food in me and I'm just filling out like mad today. Need to get a lot more liquids in me and get better sleep.

Hope everybody is doing well, any help/tips/criticism is greatly appreciated. Even if you tell me I'm doing everything wrong and should go back to square 1.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
@SOLARSUPLEX

Are you doing linear periodizatio? IMO it will be wise to up the intensity and decrease volume as weeks go on. Greg Nuckols posted simple progression for intermediate lifters it worked really well for me and it increase my total by 80lbs in calorie surplus.
This is how it is setup.

Week 1
75% 5x8
Week 2
80% 1x5
75% 4x8
Week 3
80% 2x5
75% 3x8
Week 4
80% 3x5
75% 2x8
Week 5
80% 4x5
75% 1x8
Week 6
Retest 1rm, no other volume for your main lift, and volume reduced by about 50% for your accessories. This week and week 12 essentially function as deloads
Week 7
80% 5x5
Week 8
85% 1x3
80% 4x5
Week 9
85% 2x3
80% 3x5
Week 10
85% 3x3
80% 2x5
Week 11
85% 4x3
80% 1x5
Week 12
Retest
Week 13
85% 5x3
Week 14
90% 1x2
85% 4x3
Week 15
90% 2x2
85% 3x3
Week 16
90% 3x2
85% 2x3
Week 17
95% 2x1
Week 18
85% 3x1 if peaking for a meet (competition at the end of week 19) or retest if normal training

If you are training twice a week then your other workout should either be of same movement with higher reps or varition of your main lift with higher reps.
Post 21 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
Black that is some hectic shit my dude. 5/3/1 is the first calculated periodization I've run and from looking back at my training logs, just prior to starting it (29 days ago) I hit 225x5. Last week (w3 of the program) I cranked out 10 for the first time ever. Of course I've been keeping a boss daddy surplus all the while, but the program is definitely helping me add reps to a range of heavy weights for me.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Blackbasara I am not following a specific periodization as you posted.
I am also somewhat surprised that you mention to up the intensity and decrease volume. I have always heard longer rest times which somewhat leads to less intensity.

@RobotEars turns out I have 29 days from today til I test my 225x10. Do you happen to have the numbers you used for the 5/3/1 that you performed? How often did you train with or above 225 on the bar.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Yeah dude, it's all in my log. I'll pull the numbers over.

All my chest work in between the 225x5 and 225x10

Week 0:
Upper Power
Bench 135x8, 185x6, 225x5, 230x3, 235x3, 245x2, 255x1

Week 1:
Bench 5(Mon)
Warm up-95,120,140
Working-150,175,200(8)
Bro day (Sat)
Inc DB 100x8x8x7
Weighted dips 45x12, 90x6x5
Pec deck 160,165,170x12

Week 2:
Bench 3
Warm up-95, 120, 140,
Working-165, 190, 210(8)
Bro day
DB flat 95x10, 105x8, 110x3
Weighted dips 45x12, 90x8x2
Pec deck 165,170,175x12

Week 3:
Bench 5/3/1
Bench: Warm up-95, 120, 140,
Working-175, 200, 225(10)

Shit man, from looking at the numbers... I didn't train above 225 and it's honestly a little bewildering going from 210x8 to 225x10 but I remember that day distinctly.. reps were clean af bar to chest, racked that baby and jumped up like a boss, cause that was the first time I'd ever cleared 10. Went for 11, but spotter grabbed it half way.

I do also recall though, that day was the first time I tried to get my powerlifting swag on and really dug my feet in and arched my back. Maybe that made a huge difference.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@RobotEars Guess it would have benefitted me to actually look around before i asked. Thanks

Jeez, what number were you using as your max to base those numbers off? Seems like that last day of 10 reps came out of nowhere and you killed it. Congrats my man.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Thanks man, yeah that's what I was thinking too after reviewing the numbers... It seemed pretty random! Since 5/3/1 uses 90% of 1RM, I based everything on 235 which was my 90% of 260 actual 1RM.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@RobotEars super weird. Have you tested your 1RM now since the block of 5/3/1? I have the same 1RM as you and that was at about 6-8lb less than i weigh now.

I remember you had been doing low carb dieting? I bet you were actually stronger than you knew because you had been training on no energy. Now that you're on a proper diet things are coming together nicely. Keep it up!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Dude I was doing like everything possible to sabotage my gains... Super low carb, prolonged deficit, probably not even enough fats... I was a mess. My diets been right for almost 2 months now and it's a world of difference.

I haven't tested my max yet, I think I will on the next 5/3/1 week, so in about a month... Give myself ample time to hopefully see a nice jump!

I think that 225x10 is within your reach within a month. I haven't ran anything like 5/3/1 so I don't have much to compare it to, but I definitely endorse it for strength gains even after one block.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Super short push session today

Flat bench
95x12
135x8
185x6
225x5
225x3
225x4
135x10

Incline smith (i do what i want)