Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Female FitnessNewbieTraining Programs

12 week female fitness program - what's next17578

l0nepinemall private msg quote post Address this user
I just completed the 12 week female fitness program through this site. Here is the link for anyone who wants to take a look at it:
http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

My question is this: what do I do now? I am at a loss as to what program I should move to. Should I continue with the same program? I have been pondering this for long enough that I have completed an additional 4 weeks of the program (based off the last 4 weeks of reps/sets). My boyfriend is encouraging me to mix things up. He says I should not continue to do the same stuff and that now that I have more strength, I can continue to progress with other, harder programs. But what should I do? I really like to have a program that I follow - makes it much easier for me to continue motivation and know what I'm doing in the gym. I could really use suggestions with help for which direction to go. I've only been lifting heavy for 4 months now, so I am really confused at where to go next.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Your boyfriend is incorrect. Program hopping has become en vogue with people constantly trying to find something better than whatever they're on. The truth is, though, if you're still making gains with a program, it's not only unnecessary to change it, but it's actually going to cause you to take a step back because the first 6 weeks or so of any weight training routine is mostly neurological adaptation with very little hypertrophy. So every time you change a routine, you're hitting a "reset" button on that. You also can't confuse or trick your muscles into faster growth or better gains. Doesn't work that way. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
l0nepinemall private msg quote post Address this user
That's what I tried to tell him my concerns were - that it would set me back. He tried to tell me that I have to switch up my 'muscle memory' by changing programs and that eventually my body will get used to my workouts and stop producing results. He suggested ideas like Crossfit or Crossfit Football, since they have different routines every day. A lot of those programs have moves I have not even performed before, so I definitely have concerns about losing the gains I have made while trying to learn something new.

I am still making gains with the current program. They are much less than before, but I am still making them. Clearly it sounds as though I should continue until I am no longer making gains, if I am understanding you correctly? What happens when I am no longer gaining? Is that when I switch things up?
Post 3 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
This might sound cliche, but... Does he even lift? I say this with no knowledge of what it is, but 'crossfit football' sounds like a huge waste of time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
In order to try and recommend your next course of action, the following information would be helpful:
1. Height
2. Weight
3. Estimates bodyfat
4. Current and passed 3 months of calorie intake
5. Short term goals (1-8 months)
6. Long term goals (anything after 8 months)

A few current photos of how you currently look wouldn't hurt either.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Not sure what to tell you, OP. Your boyfriend seems to mean well, but he's just not correct. There's no benefit whatsoever to constantly routine-hopping. You can't confuse your muscles- they don't have a brain. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
You can't confuse your muscles- they don't have a brain.

A+++
Post 7 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
There is no reason to switch things up. If you still like the routine I would start it over from the beginning. You are stronger now so just make sure you are increasing the weight to keep it challenging.

...your boyfriend is speaking pure bros science aka BS
Post 8 IP   flag post
emmyweird84 private msg quote post Address this user
@IONE...with that program did you incorporate any HITT with the weight training? I know that guide suggests doing the stubborn fat cardio in the AM, but my schedule makes AM impossible. I really enjoy HITT and have been successful with it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
HIIT after a training session is actually better than fasted AM cardio for natural athletes. Stay the course you're on! -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
340762 10 10
destitute