Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BackChestLegsPush Pull LegsSplit Advice

push pull legs17577

HardBody private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone seen great results from the push pull legs split? How many times a week did you train on this split?
Post 1 IP   flag post
HezY private msg quote post Address this user
Three Times a week mate great results.
Post 2 IP   flag post
How many exercises did u hit for chest and shoulders
Post 3 IP   flag post
dumbbell fly's
Bench standard
Dumbbell fly's second split
Incline Bench
Dumbbell Press
Cable Fly's

shoulders was pretty straight forward
Post 4 IP   flag post
What did u notice that was different from every other split you've ever tried
Post 5 IP   flag post
honestly came in just as lean not more then usual but thicker loved it
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, and i've been running it for 4+ years 5 times a week.
Post 7 IP   flag post
How is you push day setup
Post 8 IP   flag post
Cross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBody

just use compound movements on all days
you dont need flys and shit to build muscle,focus on bench,rows,deads,squats,military press,dips and pull ups/chin ups
that is all you need
you can throw some accessory but your main focus should be on those big comppunds
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^ I'd say that's pretty inaccurate. Compounds are great, but without even putting any thought into it, I can tell you that an all-compound routine isn't going to effectively hit either triceps or hamstrings properly. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Cross private msg quote post Address this user
Yea i know that is what accessory lifts are for
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:

A
Db bench press: 3x6-8/3' + Pause (1s): 1x10/2' (-10 kg of last main set)
Seated cable fly: 2x10-15/1.5'
Unilateral shoulder press: 3x8-10/2'
Cable lateral raise: 2x10-15/1.5'
Lying tricepsextension: 2x8-10/1.5' + 2x10-12/1'

B
Db bench press: 3x3-5/3' + Pause (1s): 1x10/2' (-10 kg of last main set)
Unilateral shoulder press: 3x6-8/2'

The pause set is not an "all out set", with -10 kg i can hit 10 reps with ~2 reps left in the tank.
And the tricepsextension is performed with a full range of motion (going behind head) to effectively train triceps long head.

Also, /3', /2' etc = rest between sets, and below is an example on how i progress in my "main" exercises/sets (db bench, ohp and first 2 sets of tricepsextension), in the flyes and lateral raises i go more on feel (1-2 from fail, sometimes fail) and the last 2 sets of tricepsextension is only "pump" sets where i use a weight that allows me to hit 12 reps in both sets.

Workout 1 (db bench)
50 kg x 8, 8, 8, hit 8 in all 3 so i up the weight in the first set.

Workout 2
52.5 kg x 8
50 kg x 8, 6

Workout 3
52.5 kg x 8
50 kg x 8, 8, hit 8 in the last set again, so the next workout i would up the weight in the second set to 52.5 kg, and when i hit 8 reps in the last set again i'll do all sets with 52.5 kg.

I do not up the weight if the last rep in the last set is ugly, it should be a "grind" rep (~1 from fail), but with good form.

PS, what the split looks like (a cycle) ->

Day 1 - Push A
Day 2 - Legs A
Day 3 - Pull B
Day 4
Day 5 - Push A
Day 6 - Legs B
Day 7
Day 8 - Pull A
Day 9 - Push B
Day 10
Day 11 - Legs A
Day 12 - Pull A
Day 13
Post 12 IP   flag post
Fly's will give you better chest growth , but yes all compound lifts are a must mate i agree. alot of people tend to leave them behind now
Post 13 IP   flag post
fuark
Post 14 IP   flag post
How is only 3 days a week gonna help me produce good reaults? I see people on YouTube with crazy amount of followers doing it 5 or 6 times a week and they have crazy results. Shredding and Lean muscle mass like a mothafucka. Some say I should train a push pull leg on a 5 day split. But it a hard for me to hit the gym t days a week. But I need to bring my Chest n Back up majorly. I want to have a classic physique.
Post 15 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
Yes, and i've been running it for 4+ years 5 times a week.

Notice the consistency and longevity here. THAT leads to results.
Post 16 IP   flag post
NicholasIsAnAsian private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawsteel
Quote:

A
Db bench press: 3x6-8/3' + Pause (1s): 1x10/2' (-10 kg of last main set)
Unilateral shoulder press: 3x8-10/2'

B
Db bench press: 3x3-5/3' + Pause (1s): 1x10/2' (-10 kg of last main set)
Unilateral shoulder press: 3x6-8/2'

The pause set is not an "all out set", with -10 kg i can hit 10 reps with ~2 reps left in the tank.
And the tricepsextension is performed with a full range of motion (going behind head) to effectively train triceps long head.

Also, /3', /2' etc = rest between sets, and below is an example on how i progress in my "main" exercises/sets (db bench, ohp and first 2 sets of tricepsextension), in the flyes and lateral raises i go more on feel (1-2 from fail, sometimes fail) and the last 2 sets of tricepsextension is only "pump" sets where i use a weight that allows me to hit 12 reps in both sets.

Workout 1 (db bench)
50 kg x 8, 8, 8, hit 8 in all 3 so i up the weight in the first set.

Workout 2
52.5 kg x 8
50 kg x 8, 6

Workout 3
52.5 kg x 8
50 kg x 8, 8, hit 8 in the last set again, so the next workout i would up the weight in the second set to 52.5 kg, and when i hit 8 reps in the last set again i'll do all sets with 52.5 kg.

I do not up the weight if the last rep in the last set is ugly, it should be a "grind" rep (~1 from fail), but with good form.

PS, what the split looks like (a cycle) ->

Day 1 - Push A
Day 2 - Legs A
Day 3 - Pull B
Day 4
Day 5 - Push A
Day 6 - Legs B
Day 7
Day 8 - Pull A
Day 9 - Push B
Day 10
Day 11 - Legs A
Day 12 - Pull A
Day 13

@Rawsteel , These p/p/l workouts are good. But I have a question. For the push (chest), you have a total of 6 sets per workout session. Therefore, there are 12 sets of chest workout per week. On the other hand, based on Routine Design For Dummies Stickies, @eknight stated that 10 sets for 'push' per workout session. My body is considering at beginner level, can my muscle mass grow or suitable if I am having 12 sets of chest per week?
Thank you for spending some time to read my question and have a nice day. =)
Post 17 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@NicholasIsAnAsian dude. You're asking about two sets a week. Who the fuck cares. Go pick shit up and set it down. One was an example of a routine, the other was a guideline.

If you're going to over think two sets on chest. You're thinking too hard. Results come from working out and eating, Not from over thinking shit
Post 18 IP   flag post
@NorIda Dude, thank you for your reply. Because I would love to gain confirmation from both of eknight and rawsteel as I am looking up on them. I know that there are routine and guideline respectively. Of course results are oriented from working out and proper diet but, if I have a question, I think I should ask and learn. If you are going to rage over my questions, it would be nice if you don't answer them. You may correct me but raging over a question isn't a solution. Due all my respect and friendly reminder, this is just a question and I am learning. Have a nice day, brah. =)
Post 19 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
YEAH BRAH! Silly bearded man.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@NicholasIsAnAsian if those few words hurt your feelings, because you thought I was "raging" on you, you're in for a rude awakening In life.

It was a legitimate reply. The difference in two sets a week is going to be pretty negligible IMO.

You will be better off, as in gaining both strength and mass, by focusing on creating a well rounded, solid diet than worrying about two sets of an exercise.

The greatest thing you can do for yourself, as a self proclaimed beginner, is to get your diet in check and focus on progressive overload on your exercises. Don't waste your time in the gym doing a million sets/reps/exercises if you aren't providing your body with the necessary building blocks.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotEars
YEAH BRAH! Silly bearded man.

You forgot to say "sikk aesthetic strong" before silly bearded man.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
@NicholasIsAnAsian if those few words hurt your feelings, because you thought I was "raging" on you, you're in for a rude awakening In life.

It was a legitimate reply. The difference in two sets a week is going to be pretty negligible IMO.

You will be better off, as in gaining both strength and mass, by focusing on creating a well rounded, solid diet than worrying about two sets of an exercise.

The greatest thing you can do for yourself, as a self proclaimed beginner, is to get your diet in check and focus on progressive overload on your exercises. Don't waste your time in the gym doing a million sets/reps/exercises if you aren't providing your body with the necessary building blocks.

@NorIda Thank you so much for your prompt reply. This is the answer which I am looking for. It would be pretty legitimate if such remarks were made in the first thread rather than sparking any misunderstanding issues. And Nope, you aren't hurting my feelings and if you do, I would be raging and replying brutally. Since clarifications were made, why not just enjoy the rest of the day, right? Take care, brah. =)
Post 23 IP   flag post
@NicholasIsAnAsian Bye Felicia!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasIsAnAsian
My body is considering at beginner level, can my muscle mass grow or suitable if I am having 12 sets of chest per week?
Thank you for spending some time to read my question and have a nice day. =)

If you're a beginner then i would recommend that you run a full body program instead (3 workouts a week).
And yes, it will grow as long as you manage to progressively overload and eat enough.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel Thank you so much and greatly appreciated for your reply. I will bear in mind. Have a nice day ! =)
Post 26 IP   flag post
340770 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute