Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Full Body Workouts?17570

Mr_Muscle2016 private msg quote post Address this user
First of all Happy New Year to all of you.

I have been lifting for about a year already, not consistenly i'll be honest. So i consider myself a beginner even more now that i was away from the gym for 5 weeks.

So i want to give a 3x a week full body workout a try for at least 12 weeks, this i suppose to gain strenght and maybe build some muscle. So what do you guys think of full body workouts?

I plan on doing them MWF and some HIIT on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

One of those full body workouts if not all of them would look like this:

-squats
-bench press
-deadlifts
-military press
-bent over rows
-barbell shrugs
-bicep curls
-dips
-wrist curls
-one or two abs exercises

How many sets and reps would you advice me to do? I plan on 3 sets of each 6-8 reps.

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I would make 3 different 'full body' days with an emphasis on different parts.

Day 1- leg dominant with a few sets of back lifts

Day 2- Back dominant with a few sets of push movements

Day 3- Push dominant with some leg movements.

Still hitting everything twice a week, just helping you not be burned out after busting ass on squats, bench, deads, hop, and rows and then trying to do accessory work.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@SOLARSUPLEX thanks, yeah i'm planning on every day doing different exercises so my body doesn't get used to the same exercise every other day. For example, day 1 squats, day 2 leg press and day 3 lunges, same with all body parts.
Post 3 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@Mr_Muscle2016 lol. Your body doesn't "get used to exercises" you can't shock or surprise your body.

Look into a real routine like strong lifts or any other credible program.

If you want real results, follow a real program created by qualified people, don't try to make your own.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Worst idea ever. You want to gain strength and size, you do it by recruiting as many fibers as possible. The first few weeks of doing an exercise are mostly neurological adaptations, so any real, lasting hypertrophy is going to take ~6 weeks of the same movement patterns (i.e., exercises) to begin recruitment of those deeper fibers. There is no "confusing" the body. No ways to "keep it guessing." -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
@NorIda so by looking at my routine you are 100% sure it won't work? Even thought i'm planning on doing many compound exercises and working out all my body parts 3 times a week? Just asking, i respect your physique.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@eknight so you think this routine is wrong? Any advice? Exercises? Programs?
Post 7 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@Mr_Muscle2016 I guarantee you will have suboptimal shitty results, yes. There is a reason @ek and I echoed the same opinion.

Again if you want results, follow a legitimate routine like strong lifts.

Look in he stickied FAQ thread, I believe there are routines in there as well.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Will it work? Sure. Will it be optimal? No chance. Do you want results or do you want the BEST results? Pick a routine and run it without changing exercises until you no longer make gains with it. Deload, revisit your diet, and run it for another 6 weeks after that.

I once ran Westside Barbell for 12 years. I didn't try to confuse my muscles. I didn't worry about keeping them guessing. I mostly laughed at the guys two weight classes ahead of me who were doing those things and benching less than I was. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
@NorIda for hiw long should i stick with stronglifts?
Post 10 IP   flag post
340630 10 10
destitute