Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressSplit Advice

Wrists gave out while benching today17569

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
What's up guys!

So today after normally warming up, on my first set of 5 reps on the bench, my wrists gave out on the way up! As I was pressing the weight back up out of nowhere my wrists rolled forward and the bar fell out of my hand, luckily I caught it right before it hit my chest.

I'm not sure what the cause was, but I did squats before and I moved the grip in to create a tighter back/shelf and I felt some strain on my wrists after. Could it be I just have weak wrists, or were my wrists too straight, putting a lot more emphasis on them? Again this happen out of nowhere on the way up, and the weights overall just felt somewhat heavy.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Do you use a thumbless grip? -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

Don't they call that suicide grip or something? Real dangerous?
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yes. I'm trying to figure out some way that the bar would roll out of a lifter's hands and this is the only scenario I could see. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:

Never. Before I initiate the lift I always try to dig the bar deep into the Lowest part of the Palm and then grasp the bar. I also try to maintain a straight of a wrist during the lift as possible.

Though Ek, do you think I should avoid keeping my wrists so straight because it increases the likelihood of the bar slipping and try to bench with my wrists somewhat bent backwards, this way the chances of my wrists rolling forward and the bar slipping is minimum?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No. I would make an effort to keep your wrists and elbows in line and try to bend the bar when you lift off. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
You must have just had a poor setup and got off balance.

Are you sure your weight didn't catch the hook on your bench or something similar causing the bar to jolt?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
Buy wrist supporting gloves, that's what I had to do before my wrists got strong enough...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Nope, like I said I was well balanced and the bar was in a correct path and didnt touch anything besides my chest.

@eknight , the bar didn't just roll out of my hands. As I was pressing my wrists aggressively bent forward causing my hand to open and release the bar because of the position it was in.

Lol what what scares me is why it happened with only somewhat heavy weight. After I cought the bar from hitting my chest I finished the set with a couple more reps, with the hope it won't happen again.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Of course you shouldn't keep them completely straight, that's bad.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
I would also suggest gripping that bar as hard as you can, few months ago I use to hold it like bitch.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball

Your probably right keeping them really straight probably caused me to bend then forward. How much of a backward bend do you have when benching?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Do you guys know any ways to improve my wrists strength? I have fairly small wrists.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:

This post makes no sense to me at all. Benchers who use wrist wraps use them to keep their wrists straight. Why would you NOT want them straight? -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

This post makes no sense to me at all. Benchers who use wrist wraps use them to keep their wrists straight. Why would you NOT want them straight? -3X

Unnecessary extra ROM + the risk of what happened to OP. Wrist wraps are imo "supposed" to be used so you can bend them backwards a bit without them being crushed backwards.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No they're not. You risk greater injury and have less control with the wrist in any type of extension at all.

"A bent wrist in the bench press is inefficient. When the wrist bends, you create a lever arm between the bar and the wrist joint. Simply put, when the bar is directly over the wrist, the force is transferred directly into the bar rather than being eaten up to some degree by a bent wrist. There is no lever arm to overcome."

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-wrist-wraps/

-3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
Well, that quote is shit.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I mean, if only Kirill (world record holder in raw bench)

and Freddi Smulter (world record holder in IPF single ply bench)

and Eddie Berglund (strongest pound for pound subjunior bench presser in the history of the world)

knew this they would surely lift even more then, huh
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
LMAO at this stuff. You cherry-picked three guys who are the exception, not the rule. From Dave Tate: "When the bar's in line with your wrist joints and forearms, then what you have is what us powerlifters call a straight line. And the strongest and shortest distance to move a heavy weight is through a straight line. Keeping the bar in line with your wrists and forearms will also save you undue stress to your wrists. If the bar rolls back in your hands, it's going to hurt like hell."

From Louis Simmons: "Keep your wrists locked out and straight during the entire movelement."

Sorry, but I'll believe the guys who have coached hundreds of champions over 3 dudes that you cherry-picked, especially when the first guy actually keeps his wrists locked:

(from his 326kg bench vid) -3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Rychlak and Mendy, showing how it's done:

-3X
Post 20 IP   flag post
I don't know why you quote people who compete in clown federations where they have no pause, heels in the air and head in the air. Whole other ballpark.

I just wish that you'd start thinking for yourself instead of constantly quoting people that are half as smart as you are, I have huge respect for your knowledge so it hurts me when you just respew shit that other people say.

I don't wanna sit here and argue with wildly famous people who can't even say anything back, but just... please think about this and if YOU still think it's wrong, then by all means, I don't care if you don't agree with me, but it's pretty basic biomechanics.

First of all: "And the strongest and shortest distance to move a heavy weight is through a straight line."

Not only is this irrelevant to the point, it's also wrong. The J-curve is far more efficient than moving the weight straight up and down. Even Dave Tate himself says this, so I'm not sure why he's contradicting himself, but he does this alot so whatever.

Furthermore you can still have your elbows directly under the bar while keeping your wrists back, which of course is important. The only downside imagineable is that when you'd press, your wrists would further bend backwards and you'd lose momentum. This doesn't happen in real life and is a fantasy theory.

If the bar would ROLL back in the hands, then indeed it would hurt. That's why it shouldn't be allowed to roll, or as in freddi's case, be there from the start.

I'm not sure what Simmons meant with movelement, but whatever, I've never much cared for what he has to say, especially not in this case when I'm much more interested in what you have to say.

Lastly: imagine you'd have a surgery that would add a foot's length to your forearms. Would your bench go up or down?

About the health hazard, I'm pretty sure maximum strength results and maximum joint health in bench press isn't achievable and it's not a good exercise for that.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Sorry. Stopped reading when you referred to Tate as a clown. This shit is typical Cannonball. You'll never listen to those who know more than you and have a hard-on for disagreeing with me, which is why your bench numbers will never be as good as mine. You're happy being "good," and not changing your opinion (see also, behind the neck presses and dips below parallel), rather than being great and admitting you're wrong. You know, like when I post a picture of the athlete YOU referred to, keeping his wrists locked during his lift. Way to dodge any and all points that don't fit your bias. -3X
Post 22 IP   flag post
"Way to dodge any and all points that don't fit your bias. -3X"

This is just laughably ironic. FU and your shit arguing with your constant straw-man fiascos. I'm done with this forum, the only person I thought worthy to talk to just lost all my respect.
Post 23 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
The only worthy person? Well fuck you too.
Post 24 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
I'm done with this forum, the only person I thought worthy to talk to just lost all my respect.

And I'M called arrogant. Finally showing your true colors. I'm sure you'll be missed greatly. -3X
Post 25 IP   flag post
@eknight , got a quick question man. I wanted to know when you bring the bar down higher on your chest towards the clavicle, does it recruit more muscle fibers in your chest as opposed to bringing it down to your nipple or upper abs? Im trying to bench with the most recruitment of the chest muscles, while doing it safely.
Post 26 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
It shifts the focus away from the sternocostal head. Does it recruit more fibers? No. -3X
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
It shifts the focus away from the sternocostal head. Does it recruit more fibers? No. -3X

If benching lower on the chest decreases the focus on the sternocostal head doesn't that reduce the recruitment of the overall chest? I'm kinda cofused as to where the sternocostal head is located. On google it is displayed as almost the whole chest. Can you clarify?

Post 28 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm purposefully not trying to start yet another "upper chest/lower chest" argument. The most suitable answer is that guillotine presses (what you're describing) are not optimal for complete chest development, but may be useful for targeting more delts and clavicular head. -3X
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm purposefully not trying to start yet another "upper chest/lower chest" argument. The most suitable answer is that guillotine presses (what you're describing) are not optimal for complete chest development, but may be useful for targeting more delts and clavicular head. -3X

Haha your right, I get your point. Thanks!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340734 30 30
destitute