Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
IntroductionNewbieSplit Advice

new to the forum looking for good help17536

max12480 private msg quote post Address this user
ok thank you so it doesnt matter how much i can lift? i can just stay on a fullbody workout as long as i want? i am asking because i am really enjoying it.

my stats are:

bench--205
squat--185
dealift--225
Post 26 IP   flag post
this is what i have been doing the last few weeks. All 3-4 sets of 8-10 3x a week

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows or Lat pulldowns
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
triceps or calfs
Post 27 IP   flag post
just curious cus it is getting pretty hard since i am moving up in weights
Post 28 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Just read the two the FAQ & Routine for Dummies. If you do that, you'll be able to understand how to gain, lose, or maintain weight. Pick a training program to follow. And just do both. Simple as that.
Post 29 IP   flag post
ok i read the Routine for dummies. how do i know which one to chose. i see like stronglifts but is that something that will get me some muscle size? do i need something with more isolation exercises in it? just looking to make sure i am moving in the right direction. i know there isnt one good magic program, i just wish someone could say hey do "this program" based on my age and goals.
Post 30 IP   flag post

bump
Post 31 IP   flag post
If you read the links previously provided (Read the FAQ), you would know how to increase, decrease, or maintain your weight. Choose a program for beginners. Learn how to perform the exercises correctly, stay patient. That's really it.
Post 32 IP   flag post
how do i know if i am still a beginner. I lifted weights in the past. i know how to do the exercises and i am good with my diet. i am just starting back into it again
Post 33 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by max12480
how do i know if i am still a beginner. I lifted weights in the past. i know how to do the exercises and i am good with my diet. i am just starting back into it again

If you uave to ask, you're a beginner.

Most basic programs have room for accessory exercises. These can be arms, hamstrings, abs, or anything else you want to supplement your main lifts. Just don't go overboard and keep it simple.
Post 34 IP   flag post
so i should pick like starting strength with accessories? or do
squat
bench
bo row
overhead press
deadlift

or

squat
bench
row

accessories?
Post 35 IP   flag post
So for starting strength you would do something like

Workout A
Squat
Bench
Deads
Accessory

Workout B
Squat
Press
Power cleans
Accessory

Then maybe an accessory if you go in for cardio or something.

I normally add in sometype of pull and ham accessories when I do 5x5 routines like that.
Post 36 IP   flag post
could i do the same with stronglifts? i like the look of stronglifts, which accessories would i add to that
Post 37 IP   flag post
Yep. I ran stronglifts with pullups on one day, ham curls on another.
Post 38 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
It's been 3 weeks and you want to routine hop already? Why? -3X
Post 39 IP   flag post
Just want to make sure I'm proceeding right. I been doing that full body I just posted but it seems like it's getting hard since I'm going up in weights. I am showing some improvements in size I just didn't know how long I should stay on this

Squat
Bench
BO row
OH press
Deadlift
Tris-- day 1 and 3 and bis day 2

3-4 sets of 8

How long should I stay on this and does it matter how heavy I go or am I doing everything wrong
Post 40 IP   flag post
@eknight I am just not sure what I am doing. I know when I lifted a few years ago all I knew was bro splits. So this fullbody thing is new to me. Just hoping the routine I posted a couple minutes ago is good. I been doing it the last 3 weeks but it's getting harder the more weight I am putting up
Post 41 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@eknight I am just not sure what I am doing. I know when I lifted a few years ago all I knew was bro splits. So this fullbody thing is new to me. Just hoping the routine I posted a couple minutes ago is good. I been doing it the last 3 weeks but it's getting harder the more weight I am putting up

Don't overanalyze. Trust in the program and the advise of the members of this forum. You need at least 3 months (if not mistaken) to benefit from a program).
Of course it's going to get harder the more weight you out up!
Heard the saying beginners train and champions grind? It's not supposed to be easy but not insanely difficult either.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight79
Quote:

Don't overanalyze. Trust in the program and the advise of the members of this forum. You need at least 3 months (if not mistaken) to benefit from a program).
Of course it's going to get harder the more weight you out up!
Heard the saying beginners train and champions grind? It's not supposed to be easy but not insanely difficult either.

Thanks so much I appriciate all the hel. I will stick with it, I am enjoying the program. Does it look ok to stay on
Post 43 IP   flag post
@max12480 not Sure what you plan to run but the programs there are solid. I'll tell you that since I joined this forum I've attained 3.3x bodyweight deadlift. They persuaded me to take up powerlifting and I've incorporated the knowledge here and combined it with bodybuilding.
Get strong as fuark, translate that strength into aesthetics if that is your goal much later.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight79
@max12480 not Sure what you plan to run but the programs there are solid. I'll tell you that since I joined this forum I've attained 3.3x bodyweight deadlift. They persuaded me to take up powerlifting and I've incorporated the knowledge here and combined it with bodybuilding.
Get strong as fuark, translate that strength into aesthetics if that is your goal much later.

Ok so it sounds like I shout do something like strong lifts with a few accessories. I just need to concentrate on getting strong right now?
Post 45 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
my main goal is size right now.

Quote:
i know there isnt one good magic program, i just wish someone could say hey do "this program" based on my age and goals.

Stronglifts or 5/3/1 + a calorie surplus will work wonders.

Most important thing is to get on a routine and stick with it (adherence) for a long time. Do a little bit each week. Eric Helms chart below.

Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Quote:
my main goal is size right now.

Quote:
i know there isnt one good magic program, i just wish someone could say hey do "this program" based on my age and goals.

Stronglifts or 5/3/1 + a calorie surplus will work wonders.

Most important thing is to get on a routine and stick with it (adherence) for a long time. Do a little bit each week. Eric Helms chart below.

Great video. I never thought Adherence would be Number 1 but once you get busy it makes sense. Optimal may not always be realistic.
Post 47 IP   flag post
i know it says to start light, but i dont want to start with like just the bar. How much weight should i start with of my 5 rep max? like 70-80 percent or less
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
i know it says to start light, but i dont want to start with like just the bar. How much weight should i start with of my 5 rep max? like 70-80 percent or less

The weight cacthes up to you fast on a 5x5 program. I'd say 70-80% is fair. I usually start with a low weight that makes me feel silly, but you should use that time to practice form and get used to the program, because in a few weeks you'll be lifting a lot more weight.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Like @Beans said, 70-80% is a good idea. You don't want to start too heavy and sacrifice your form. But if you practice form in the beginning while starting lighter, it will carry over when you start hitting heavier weights and won't have to start over because your form is fucked.

Pretty much slow and steady wins the race.
Post 50 IP   flag post
then its add 5-10lbs every workout?
Post 51 IP   flag post
Also, to add to what @Beans and @Jsn3004 are saying, it's better to start off at a conservative poundage so that you have more space to progress.
Doesn't matter if you think the weight feels too and and that you feel you can do more. You're still depositing into your "muscle account". The gains add up. Don't overthink. Beginner programs are set up that way for a good linear progress.
Post 52 IP   flag post
340615 52 27
destitute