Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingNewbieTeenTraining Programs

Some help on workouts, what to eat, etc17484

ghinobrah private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys,
I'm 15 and I recently started working out. I do basketball and row. As you can already tell that's a lot of cardio. I haven't been able tp put on weight no matter how much I eat and when i go to the gym I don't really know what to do. I need help getting bigger as I'm really skinny for my age. I'm 5"7, 53kg. I can post some pictures if needed.

Thanks,
Ghino
Post 1 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/16702/routine-design-for-dummies-10/

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/page/1/simply-shredded-faq---read-before-posting/
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight79
http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/16702/routine-design-for-dummies-10/

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13958/page/1/simply-shredded-faq---read-before-posting/
Thanks a lot, will give it a good read
Post 3 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
if you're having a hard time eating a lot, throw some "dirty" foods in there that are calorie dense. maybe some mcdonalds and go heavy on the ketchup, or whatever you have that's the equivalent over there.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Bucky May I ask why you want me to go heavy on ketchup?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@ghinobrah more calories, easy calories. if you don't like ketchup then a different sauce
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
To go along with what @Bucky said, just try to find calorically dense foods. They're easier to eat and the calories will add up faster. Nuts/peanut butter, whole milk, cheese, dark chocate, dried fruits, etc.

And judging by your pic you still have a lot of natural growth left, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinobrah

He isn't specifically telling you to eat more ketchup. He is just telling you to eat more of everything.

I had the same problem growing up and I still have to work hard at keeping my weight up so I can relate to you.

What you have to do is learn to eat more. This takes discipline and you have to be consistent.

To be more specific you need to first learn how much more you need to eat every day. Figure out what your maintenance calorie intake is for the day is the first thing you should do. Then track your calories and macros each day to make sure you are eating at a surplus (that you previously set to hit your goals).

If you cant track your calories you will just have to go by feel and stuff yourself every day. If you can weigh yourself every day that will help.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
To go along with what @Bucky said, just try to find calorically dense foods. They're easier to eat and the calories will add up faster. Nuts/peanut butter, whole milk, cheese, dark chocate, dried fruits, etc.

And judging by your pic you still have a lot of natural growth left, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

great suggestions here, PB is one of the easiest ways to get some calories in like that. couple spoonfuls and you've put down 500+ kcal easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
Quote:

He isn't specifically telling you to eat more ketchup. He is just telling you to eat more of everything.

I had the same problem growing up and I still have to work hard at keeping my weight up so I can relate to you.

What you have to do is learn to eat more. This takes discipline and you have to be consistent.

To be more specific you need to first learn how much more you need to eat every day. Figure out what your maintenance calorie intake is for the day is the first thing you should do. Then track your calories and macros each day to make sure you are eating at a surplus (that you previously set to hit your goals).

If you cant track your calories you will just have to go by feel and stuff yourself every day. If you can weigh yourself every day that will help.

Also great advice right here, consistently eating will trump any supplements you'll find for growth. Eat your foods, eat some veggies everyday, rotate the colors of your vegetables, and lift/eat consistently and you'll grow.
Post 9 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Also cereal is a godsend for eating more.

Not that i suggest you go get a box of fruit loops and down the whole thing.. But go get something with a decent amount of fiber and pour a hefty bowl of that few times throughout the day.

Or walk down the freezer section and buy those precooked meat balls. They are like 20g fat, 20g carb, 11g protein per 3 or 4 balls. Horrible macros but god damn i can put down a whole bag and have room for potatoes and carrots.
Post 10 IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Post some pics.

Since you live in Sri Lanka is it hard to consume lots of foods daily?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenpass
Post some pics.

Considering he is posting on a forum which requires a computer or phone + internet connection i highly doubt he decided to buy those while it being hard to source food.

Might have taken what you said out of context though.
Post 12 IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenpass
Post some pics.

Considering he is posting on a forum which requires a computer or phone + internet connection i highly doubt he decided to buy those while it being hard to source food.

Might have taken what you said out of context though.

One of my Friends is Sri Lankan and he lived there for many years before moving to America. He also said it was hard to be in a surplus, because a typical day for many Sri Lankans consists of tea or milk and bread for breakfast and rice and fish for lunch or dinner. He said that's what everyone he knew ate. Also most grocerie stores nearby sell stuff like nuts or candy.

Mabey OP might not be eating as much as he thinks, and thus not gaining weight.

Lol and I think every house in Sri Lanka has internet access lol this isn't a fully poverished country.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@forgottenpass Valid points bro. I guess we are just both educated in different regards. Ill wait for OP's answer.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Melo11 private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't read about it earlier. Actually, my body started demanding a way more food.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@SOLARSUPLEX @forgottenpass Hey, it is kind of difficult to consume food daily not because of the shortage of food but there isn't much of a selection. We don't really have much here compared to bigger countries. Hitting my macros can definitely be done but it's a bit hard. I appreciate all the advice/help
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
Quote:

I'll start counting my macros, thanks a lot!Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans

Do you think I should stick to a meal plan it just eat any calorie dense foods? Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
@ghinobrah more calories, easy calories. if you don't like ketchup then a different sauce
thanks so much
Post 17 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@ghinobrah if you want to count calories, I would say go for it as long as it doesn't drive you crazy. It should make your life easier, not stress you out. I wish I started counting calories at 15.

Calorically dense foods will help you hit your daily goal faster, so if you have trouble getting a large variety of foods or feel really full all the time, those will help.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Intensity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hey guys,
I'm 15 and I recently started working out. I do basketball and row. As you can already tell that's a lot of cardio. I haven't been able tp put on weight no matter how much I eat and when i go to the gym I don't really know what to do. I need help getting bigger as I'm really skinny for my age. I'm 5"7, 53kg. I can post some pictures if needed.

On diet, the recommended fat intake on the linked article is too low. Go for 30-40% of calories from fat. Proper training should be your primary focus. Diet is crucial, but will be effective only in the context of proper training. I recommend a whole body routine emphasizing the compound exercises performed twice weekly. Your goal is to get stronger in these exercises. Let the research begin. A good site is true-natural-bodybuilding dot com. He keeps it real.
Post 19 IP   flag post

Update, 2.01.2016
Gained 4kg.
Post 20 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
9lbs since OP 23 days ago? Gaaaains
Post 21 IP   flag post
@RobotEars 'bout that life :'D
Post 22 IP   flag post
RobotEars private msg quote post Address this user
Lol, good work lil homie. Keep it up! You start tracking your food? Probably putting away some serious grub to pack that on with all your activity.
Post 23 IP   flag post

+1kg
Biceps, legs & chess have got bigger!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Have to agree on the peanut butter. About 190 calories per serving for just two tablespoons.
Pasta is pretty high in calories for just a serving. You can eat spaghetti and meatballs with sauce. (There's always low fat meatballs that are still high in calories).
You can always make your own burritos (Tortilla, low fat cheese, ground beef, alot of guacamole, salsa). There will be alot of calories in that and still be pretty healthy.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Jsn3004 thanks a lot man, will try the burritos out
Post 26 IP   flag post
Going to start taking some protein, looking at nitro-tech. Good idea or?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't be fooled by fancy colorful labels of whey protein tubs and other supplements. Whey protein is just for a convenience. I looked that protein up, you'll still be paying 50+ dollars for 4 pounds of whey protein.

I'd just take a multivitamin, fishoil, and creatine.
You said you wanted to get bigger, so read the foods that people have been telling you on this post and eat in a caloric surplus. Imo, nothing beats actual foods.
Post 28 IP   flag post

been sick for the past week, still put on 2kg though! :')
Post 29 IP   flag post

Post 30 IP   flag post
340738 32 30
destitute