Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

If you believe TUT is the Holy Grail...17448

The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You might want to (as I've mentioned in the past) reconsider that.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25601394/

"Effect of repetition duration during resistance training on muscle hypertrophy: a systematic review and meta-analysis."

"RESULTS: Results indicate that hypertrophic outcomes are similar when training with repetition durations ranging from 0.5 to 8 s."

As always, pick stuff up and put it down. Don't overthink it and don't get caught up in broscience "mind-muscle time under tension," silliness. -3X
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
3 thumbs up. Good shit ek. Moral of the story. Just fucking lift and eat beef.
Post 2 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
But I like staring at my bicep peak for at least 8 seconds per rep. Man this sucks...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
Mmmm Beefy...
Post 4 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight So, results are similar. Is my logic behind why I've been using negatives on a lot of accessory work correct, in that it allows me to use a lighter weight for the same results, and consequently it stresses the CNS less?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yes- it also improves strength of the connective tissue, which is super important for strength athletes. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight much agreed man. Always thought it was just a tool to utilise for everyone not a singular way to lift.
@WinnersNeverQuit Eric helms said something similar also !!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
That's great, thanks for the replies guys.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
There's alot of proof for mind muscle connection though. (not time under tension, but that's not the same thing and they shouldn't be confused)
Post 9 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@Cannonball I think mine muscle connection is just a phrase used.

If you are performing a lift correctly you should be using the correct muscles

When somebody is like "aye I'm focusing on the mind muscle connection on these rows" they are actually just trying to focus on doing the lift correctly.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
Post 11 IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbasara

Damn, video too long.

Cliffs?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLARSUPLEX
@Cannonball I think mine muscle connection is just a phrase used.

If you are performing a lift correctly you should be using the correct muscles

When somebody is like "aye I'm focusing on the mind muscle connection on these rows" they are actually just trying to focus on doing the lift correctly.

no that's what people think. studies have actually shown an increase in emg activity in the muscles you focus on, even in exercises where it was thought to be impossible with similar form, such as focusing on glutes or quads in squat. cbf to find the study but ive seen it

the part people misunderstand is that you're not just lifting and wishing and praying to god it hits your targeted muscle, its a bit more complicated than that...

imagine trying to lift the barbell by contracting your muscle, instead of the other way around: just lifting the barbell with force. even if the form and speed is exactly the same, the first is alot harder and you can't do as many reps, while your targeted muscle gets absolutely shot if you do it right. that's mmc
Post 13 IP   flag post
arnoldjr private msg quote post Address this user
Do you mean the lift is easier when you focus more or the emg activity is greater?

It seems silly to me to think that somehow you can increase the force on a muscle by thinking about it. If you Bench press heavy with good form you will utilise your chest muscles whether you close your eyes and think about the chest contracting or not. Mind muscle connection for me is just another word for stating focused on the weight but not something that greatly increases emg activity or anything like that. That's just my opinion anyway.
Post 14 IP   flag post
the emg activity is greater. ofc you will always be utilizing all muscles involved, just in various degrees.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
There is a neurological adaptation that occurs when you focus on contracting a muscle, leading to greater EMG activity, yes. The problem with presuming that it can make a marked difference in results is that the difference hasn't been measured in terms of actual hypertrophy gains. While EMG indicates higher fiber recruitment, often, using slower and more focused reps, means less intensity because you're handling lighter weight. There seems to be a trade off, which is why there isn't any conclusive research on the topic. It's important to note that much of the research has also been done on beginners, who, of course, will benefit from consciously contracting the muscle, because they're not experienced yet, which further adds to the difficulty in drawing conclusions. -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Damn, this is an interesting topic. Definitely makes sense that beginners hit another level once they discover a good mind muscle connection. Can't imagine how you would really test it as far as experiences lifters, though.
Post 17 IP   flag post
ehukai private msg quote post Address this user
I feel as if an intermediate lifter who has gotten their form down and has a lot of repetitions doing a movement will not benefit from the whole "mind muscle connection" ideology. Their muscles or more specifically their neural pathways should be well adapted to the movement and they should muscle utilization just fine focusing on the movement itself. However, after sitting all day I will try and focus on my glutes during warm up sets to make sure they are firing properly for my working sets. When I get to my working sets I feel as if focusing a muscle would take away from the lift itself as I primarily do compound movements. Just my opinion and experience
Post 18 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoy doing TUT to feel the burn, like with lateral raises or EZ bar curls, slow it down on the negative. But does it make a difference aesthetically? Not sure. I just prefer using TUT on certain exercises.
Post 19 IP   flag post
but idk, i just hope that it is that way rather than not as i have started using it for biceps only. ive met some people that like, only does mind muscle connection and they're huge and says they're natty in a convincing way (like real life friends who would actually say if they are juicing to me because it wouldnt matter at all if i knew)

so decided to google it and look for any studies and read this: https://www.t-nation.com/training/mind-muscle-connection-fact-or-bs

wether that's enough to prove it? probably not, maybe

it's enough for me to try it for sure though
Post 20 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
@Cannonball I dunno man. T-nation seems to have run out of good articles and new content to write about so they're basically throwing up the same thing or creating dubious articles just for the sake of posting new content.
Post 21 IP   flag post
340752 21 21
destitute