Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

Let's talk about the pump.17431

SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
For each body part/ muscle what is your favorite exercise for a massive pump.

My top 3 are easily:
Cable seated chest flies
Seated cable row with close grip attachment
Cable tricep press down with small v attachment

Happy thanksgiving guys. Hope you all smashed your workouts and enjoy good company with friends and family and beer.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Barbell bench/dumbbell flyes, can't decide
Squats
Dumbbell curls
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Pecs: Seated cable fly
Upper back: Shoulder width neutral pull-ups (leaned back)
Shoulders: Unilateral db press, cable lateral raise and reverse cable flyes (neutral grip)
Triceps: Lying barbell tricepsextension with full ROM (behind head)
Biceps: Preacher curl (straight bar)
Hams: Seated leg curl
Glutes: Barbell hip-thrust
Quads: Landmine belt squat
Abs: Dragon flags
Calves: Leg press
Post 3 IP   flag post
JackGarrett private msg quote post Address this user
Chest: Weight-plate pullovers.
Shoulders/Upper Chest: Standing Military Press 👌🏻
Traps: One armed smith-machine shrugs (epic pump)
Triceps: Reverse grip cable push downs.
Biceps: Drop set hammer curls 💪🏻
Abs: Static leg lifts on parallel bars.
Back: T-Bar Rows/Bent Over Rows.
Hamstrings: Stiff-legged Deadlifts.
Quads/Glutes: Heavy Squats.
Calves: Standing Calf Raises.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^ reading this list and just thinking... HOW? -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
How what? @eknight
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Upon reading it, it almost seems as if you're either adding odd exercises simply to be different, or that you're not performing other exercises correctly.

If you're getting a better pump in your chest from pullovers than a movement that actually adducts the humerus- which is what the pecs primary action is- something isn't right about how you either bench or perform flyes.

Ditto getting a better pump in your hams from a movement that doesn't actually flex the knee. If someone told you they got their best biceps pump from performing straight arm front shoudler raises, I think you'd raise an eyebrow as well, but it's the same thing.

Likewise with hammer curls- the biceps are not the primary elbow flexor with these, the brachialis is. My guess is that you are feeling a pump there and not your biceps, since without the forearm supinated as in a normal curl, the work done by the biceps is not as high as the brachialis in comparison.

Finally, while it's not unheard of to get a good quad pump doing squats, it seems odd (given the other movements) that you'd get a better pump from doing those than either TKEs or seated knee extensions.

Something isn't adding up here... -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Although I agree with the science, the question asked was; what are my favorite exercises for a massive pump.
It is fair to say that you know what you are talking about but in regards to what my opinion is, does it matter what science says or you for that matter?
Myself personally, I cannot perform seated knee extensions so therefore my choice of exercise is going to be different to achieve stimulation and growth.
Perhaps there are exercises that are scientifically preferred to achieve a great pump in any specific body part but have you tried sets of straight arm weight-plate pullovers for a minimum of 15 reps a set?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm not referring to science (and I actually despise seated knee extensions because of the stress they place on the knee), but I'm surmising that exercises that do not perform the primary action that a muscle performs when it shortens (i.e., humeral adduction for the pecs, knee flexion for the hamstrings, and forearm supination for the biceps) shouldn't be giving anyone a better pump, unless you're performing some of the other exercises incorrectly.

I'd ask again- do your biceps get a better pump from doing front DB shoudler raises than curls? If not, your hams really shouldn't be getting a better pump from straight-leg deads than hamstring curls. It's the EXACT same thing.

And yes, I've done pullovers with cables, DBs, plates, and bars, in a multitude of rep ranges. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
In no way at all am I saying that you are wrong but the original question asked would still be my opinion regardless.

Having said that, I, myself feel as though I can place more stress on my hamstrings through stiff-legged dead lifts than I can doing hamstring curls. I also believe that more weight can be handled during a stiff-leg dead lift than a hamstring curl. So surely there would be an increase to the amount of fibers recruited during a SLDL, instead of curls, for overall stimulation and hypertrophy.

At least we can agree on a mutual hate for seated knee extensions
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackGarrett
So surely there would be an increase to the amount of fibers recruited during a SLDL, instead of curls, for overall stimulation and hypertrophy.

Actually, no. Since the short head of the biceps femoris does not cross the hip, they're not even incorporated in stiff-leg deads; deadlifts (or any hip extension) works fewer fibers and results in less hypertrophy than seated curls or glute-ham raises. The primary hip extensors are the gluteals, not the hams. Extension of the hips is a secondary function of the hamstrings, the same way shoudler flexion is a secondary movement of the biceps brachii. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm a bit confused about the SLDL and pull OHO too. Maybe if you do ohp seated with a really really bad angle on the chair you'll recruit enough chest to get a pump.

Thanks for answering guys. Figured it would spark some interesting discussion which it clearly has.
Post 12 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
1. Rear delt flies

2. Hammer stregth shoulder press

3. Cable face curls

4. Farmers walks

5. Weighted neutral pull ups
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

Finally, while it's not unheard of to get a good quad pump doing squats, it seems odd (given the other movements) that you'd get a better pump from doing those than either TKEs or seated knee extensions.

Yea, leg extensions definatelly give a better pump in the quads than squats where the weight is "centered".
But landmine squats performed with a hip belt gives a brutal pump, i quess it's because the weight is "pulling one forward" instead of down.
It feels like it hits the quads much more and gluteus less than "centered" squats.

And a bit OT, but for those that can't or don't want load the spine, but still want to squat, i highly recommend this.
Especially since one doesn't need to use much weight for it to become heavy, because of the increased lever.
Below is a video of it.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I get a crazy pump doing leg extensions too, but better from doing squats. Maybe it's just the mixture of the feeling you get from lifting heavy as well, but I'll take the pump from squats any day.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
Am I the only one who gets crazy quad pump from hack squats?
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Thatguy81 I use such low weight on hack squats and it's hard as hell with just that. I hate/love those.

But minimal pump from it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
@Thatguy81 same, I use 80kg for negatives atm, always increasing 1 rep per set each session, but they're hard as hell
Post 18 IP   flag post
fittseabee private msg quote post Address this user
I get crazy pumps from
straight barbell curls(21's)
Quad extensions
Side lateral raises ftw!!!
Always chasing the pump brahhs
Post 19 IP   flag post
340630 19 19
destitute