Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestInjury Recovery

Strain/torn Pec17410

kozzletoff private msg quote post Address this user
Two weeks ago on Monday I hit a PR of 245x2 on bench. On the way up from he second rep, I felt a sharp pain in my left pec. The rest of my workout I went lighter, but was still able to complete it. On that Thursday I again took it lighter because there was slight pain, but nothing major. Last week was a de-load week, so on Monday weight was light. By that Thursday, there was no pain and I picked up where I left off.

Today, it was a heavier day, 3 sets for 5 reps. The first two were fine, 215x5. There was a little pain in my chest, but it just felt like soreness. On the last set, I benched 220 for 2 reps. The first rep was fine, but on the bottom of the second, there was a very sharp pain along with some "popping noises" in my head. I managed to get the bar up, but I knew that something happened. Not sure if I actually strained my left pec bad or actually tore it.

Here's a log of the weights I lifted.

I continued doing deadlifts, no pain. I did bent over rows, no pain. I obviously skipped the chest accessories, and when I tested pulldowns, curls, and tricep accessories, I felt pain so I didn't continue.

There doesn't seem to be any swelling, and there is no bruising whatsoever. The pain is definitely evident though, whenever my chest is used at all, even washing my hands to an extent. I plan on getting an MRI when I go home this week for Thanksgiving break.

I iced when I got home, and will again later after work. It's definitely hard for me to take breaks, especially when I've been seeing my best results yet this year. It's hard to accept that I need to rest but I know I have to.

Anyone have any thoughts on what exactly happened, suggestions, or experiences to share?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
From what I've seen, you would be able to tell if you tore it. All the pics I've seen of them are pretty brutal. If you're that worried, I would just take time off until you get it check out. If the doc tells you you should take a bit of time off, you'll already have a head start. A week or 2 won't hinder your gains, but sereiously fucking something up will.
Post 2 IP   flag post
That's what I figured since I don't see any bruising or discoloration. And I hope it'll just be a week or two, but I feel like it'll be longer than that. We'll see how it goes.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
If you want longevity in this game take your fucking hand off the fire. If it hurts, stop. You kept testing it and poking it. Lay off. There are other exercises you can go beast mode on and you tested the pain out so much you need to see a sports doctor or at minimum self myofical release.... I have a torn pec right now and it's bruised. I can't bench for another week and when I do it's like just the bar. But I can still squat and deadlift so I focus on those... Be smart man. If it don't feel right just leave the gym.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@SRorhrbac0808 thanks for the input, appreciate that! Focusing on deads and squats is great advice, and I'll definitely rest and not mess around with it until its healed.

As for self myofascial release, I found this video. Is this what you do or do you have a different technique?

Also out of curiosity, how limited have your other movements been? Like overhead press or any shoulder, tricep, or bicep exercise.
Post 5 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Yah lax ball is good. When you do it right you will actually feel the knots release.

I have a small tear in my pec minor. I can perform every exercise except bench. But I have no pain at all. I see my sports doc tomorrow and I'm sure he will want me to start doing exercises to break up the scar tissue soon. I'll be back to a strong bench in no time because I was smart with recovery. It's a hard thing to master. I still get snapped up but things are minimized.
Post 6 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Rohr. I had a slight tear in my bicep near the shoulder and tried working through It for a month like you are doing and it never got better. Take a few weeks off and then be smart with your workouts after that and you'll be good.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@SRorhrbac0808 okay I'll definitely try it out when I get home tomorrow. I'll take after you and be smart about it, thanks a ton and good luck with the rest of your recovery

@_RudeCrew yeah I definitely don't wanna mess around with it anymore. Taking off sucks but at least I can still squat and deadlift. Hopefully when I see a doctor on Wednesday I can get more info
Post 8 IP   flag post
340609 8 8
destitute