Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Hypertrophy or strength routine?17370

strengthathletics private msg quote post Address this user
Started bulking however i lost a lot of strength on my cut. I started "lyle mcdonalds bulking routine" mainly because it fits my weekly schedule best (sunday lower monday upper repeat thursday friday). Im starting to think my stats are too low though. Squats 75kgx8, bench 55kgx8, deadlift 75x8.is it okay to do this routine or should i strength train? Any recommendations or can i just do this routine?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
All depends on your goals and what you like to do. If you want to get stronger, run a strength routine. 8 rep maxes aren't really in the strength category either, those should go up running any routine.
Post 2 IP   flag post
kozzletoff private msg quote post Address this user
I've ran PHAT and I'm on perkin's PHD4 right now and love it. Best of both worlds if you have the time to do it
Post 3 IP   flag post
Lyles bulking routine fits my schedule and I like all the lifts the program has. I want to atleast double the 3 compounds tho. Is this something that should be possible, considering I'm bulking? Thanks for the feedback
Post 4 IP   flag post
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
Train your core exercises for strength following, for example, a 5-3-1-deload routine and all your accessories as hypertrophy.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Alright I'll switch to 3x5 for Squat Deadlift and Bench press. Thanks
Post 6 IP   flag post
Sorry for the bump but was just wondering if this set up would be effective:
Sunday lower body hypertrophy
Monday upper body hypertrophy
Friday full body strength 3 compounds exercises or something
Post 7 IP   flag post
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
I like rest days after my lower body pounding and I personally don't enjoy a full body strength training consolidated in one day.

But trial and error that shit out.

My suggested alternative would be:

Sunday: Upper body strength with accessories in hypertrophy
strength
Bench 5-3-1
Pull ups weighted 4x8-10 (or whatever)

accessories
dumbbell work (setsXreps) 3-5x12-10
rowing work

Monday: Lower body strength with accessories in hypertrophy
strength
Squat 5-3-1
Dead Lift 5-3-1

accessories
front and/or overhead squats (setsXreps) 3-5x12-10
Romanian and/or Straight Legged dead lift
Weighted jumps

Friday: Full body hypertrophy
2 exercises per muscle, superset if you want... respect 60-90 secs resting
Post 8 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
I do both, geared towards strength on the main 3 exercises and their variations, then everything else 10-15 reps, a lot of the time in the off season with 5 second eccentrics so as to use a light weight that won't tax my CNS too much while still tearing the muscle down suficiently
Post 9 IP   flag post
Okay cool thanks for the feedback. I prefer the lower before the upper workout but i'll take your advices regarding strength reps on the compounds as soon as i stall on 3x8. Another question, I started bulking 2 weeks ago and after an initial water weight gain of 2-3 kilos I'm now actually 200 grams lighter than when I starter my bulk.. I went from 2000 to 280p calories. What the actual fuck? How's that possible?
Post 10 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
If you've lost weight then you're not eating enough. That's it.

I would also not recommend that you try to create your own routine. You sound like a beginner so you are not experienced enough to start creating your own routine. You are a beginner so you should see gains doing almost any routine consistently though.

I would recommend doing Strong Lifts 5x5. It's super basic but you will see gains for sure. There is also an app for it so its fool proof, and if you have to you can add your own accessory work after the 3 main lifts.
Post 11 IP   flag post
i'm actually doing lyle mcdonalds bulking routine so that should be solid. I'm sure my maintenance is 2500 though so I should definitely not be losing on a 300 caloric surplus... I've been considering stronglifts aswell for its simplicity with the app and linear gains also with my stats not being anything special however upper lower 4 days a week fits my schedule better then 3 full body's.
Post 12 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
@strengthathletics

It could also be water weight. Just drinking a glass or two more a day not too long before you weigh yourself can add a pound.

If your not seeing gains then increase your maintenance level.
Post 13 IP   flag post
340764 13 13
destitute