Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CarbsDiet AdviceIntroductionMacrosSplit AdviceTeen

Another Critique my diet/Workout thread!!17360

Sydazak private msg quote post Address this user
I'll do my best to not sound like a total noob. I read tons of articles on SS and Tnation as well as FAQ'a as there is lots of good info and research studies out there but I am still fairly new at this game and would like some experienced advice on my current diet approach and goals.

Current weight : 168LB
Height : 5.11
Body type: skinny fat
Calories/Macro intake: (P/C/F) 195/215/61
Workout: 4 day Push pull split Upper/Lower/Arms

Diet:

M1: Liquid egg whites + Whole wheat Bread + PB + fish oil, Multivitamin

M2: 5oz chicken breast + avacado + sweet potato (sometimes) + kidney beans

M3: 5oz chicken breast + avacado + sweet potato (sometimes) + kidney beans

M4: oats + whey + PB + banana (pre workout)

5g creatine pre workout

M5: white rice + canola oil/Olive oil + 2 eggs + whey

M6: snack (fill with whatever cals left to hit my Macro targets for the day) (Greek Yogurt, PB for example)

pre bed - fish oil

Background: I've been on this diet for about 4 weeks and the calories seems to be slightly lower than my maintenance calories. I started from around 169LB 4 weeks ago and since then my weight has been hovering around 166-168LB's (did had a few bad diet days during this time but rest of it was on point). I've attached a picture of (4 weeks before and after) me currently just to share my current body composition after i started this diet. I understand few weeks is not enough time to see major changes but these picture are good for tracking purposes.

My current goal is to Lower body fat and gain mass. My current plan is to stay around maintenance calories and gain strength.

your advice will be greatly appreciated. any more details please ask away and i'll do my best to answer. thanks

Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Sydazak do u know what ur maintenance cals are ??
Post 2 IP   flag post
JHughes private msg quote post Address this user
@Sydazak according to your macros and your scale weight--your probably eating close to your maintenance now. your macros come out shy of 2200 calories. which you probably know. from your picture I would suggest if you want to gain muscle you should lose some more body fat.

your stated current goal doesn't match your current plan? Pick one--lose fat or gain muscle. I would suggest lose fat for now, its easier..get the muscle you have to come pop out and it will be a great motivation for you! Good luck!
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Too much protein, too few carbs. Not enough info on your workout, but arms certainly don't need a day for themselves. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi My maintenance calories are about 2200 cals.

@JHughes - Thanks. yes, being a bit more leaner will def be motivational.

@eknight - this is my current workout

Upper:
Flat Barbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Lat Pulldowns
Bent Over Dumbbell Rows
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raises

Lower:
Barbell Squats
Sumo Deadlifts
Lying Hamstring Curls
Standing Calf Raises
Seated Calf raises

Abs:
Cable rope Crunches
Leg Raises
Planks

Arm Workout:
Cable Bicep Curls
Dumbbell Preacher Curls
dumbbell Curls
Overhead Rope Cable Extensions
Tricep Cable Push downs
Incline Bench Dumbbell Skull Crushers
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
^^ definitely need more back work in there, and I'm still not sure why you have a dedicated arm day. You're doing more work for your arms than you are your chest, back, or thighs, and they're the smallest muscle group you're working! -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
If you are set on having a second day for arms i would combine your ab and arm day and add a second leg day.

Though to be honest, just run a program that is already made, or at least find a way to hit each muscle 2x a week. I understand you said strength training, but at the point you are right now any type of training will yield strength + size results. Might as well get the best bang for your buck and use a program that is proven and effective.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@eknight @SOLARSUPLEX - Thanks guys this is helpful

I can sub the Arm day with adding 2 additional days for upper and lower to my split so it would look something like this.

5 Day Split
Upper
Lower
Abs
Upper
Lower
Arm day *optionally every other week

Comments? also regarding my diet/meals any suggestions or it looks good and I should keep it unchanged. I do try to hit my target macros every day.. macros per meal changes day to day and what i feel like eating
Post 8 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
It may be beneficial to look into PPL (push pull legs) and you just repeat that with an off day whenever you feel you need it. Hit the macros and make it to the gym and the progress will happen. Not much more else to tell you really.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Again- NO need for a separate arm day at all. There's no reason they should be getting more work than larger muscles- in fact, they need less.

I'd revsist your protein and carb totals as well.

Did you read the two stickied threads? -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Again- NO need for a separate arm day at all. There's no reason they should be getting more work than larger muscles- in fact, they need less.

I'd revsist your protein and carb totals as well.

Did you read the two stickied threads? -3X

Nobody reads them lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Clearly. -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
lol..

I did
Post 13 IP   flag post