Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
DeadliftForm CritiqueLegsSplit AdviceSquats

Another help thread! Deads/Squats17329

Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
So I've been stuck at 335 dead and bout 275 squat for awhile now (which I do on the same day 2 times/week). I usually start with squats, 135x10x2, 225x6x3, then move up 20lbs at a time til 265. Then I move to deads, 135x10x2, 225x4 or 10 depending, then move 20lbs up 1 rep at a time to 335, tried 355 2 days ago but failed. My goal is 405 pull and 315 squat by the first of the year, does anyone have good direction for me? Should I keep doing what I'm doing till the weight gets heavier? I need some advice...also do you guys think my goals are realistic?
Post 1 IP   flag post
leanr0x private msg quote post Address this user
you should start progressiv training
that means you work with % of your max and every workout you increase volume or weight
take a look on HST for example
Post 2 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Follow an actual strength program and I'm sure you'll get there man.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
Follow an actual strength program and I'm sure you'll get there man.

I bet this would help your lifts the most.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ok, I'll look into some. I just have a problem reading articles, I'm dyslexic and it's frustrating. If I'm shown I get it tho...
Post 5 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy81
which I do on the same day 2 times/week

problem right there... you're doing too much on the same day. So your DL will never go anywhere and Day 1 will exhaust you for Day 2

@_RudeCrew @leanr0x give you good advice. Specifically you can use 531 + dynamic sets. So...

Day 1: 531 squats, 5x2 DL @60%

Day 2: 531 DL, 5x2 Squats @60%

This site will calculate the 531 stuff for you http://www.strengthstandards.co/ - a word of caution - follow the reps and sets they give you based on 90% of your 1RM - this will pay off in the long run and you can always smash your final set for max reps.
Post 6 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @mikew and like his suggestion.
Post 7 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy81
which I do on the same day 2 times/week

problem right there... you're doing too much on the same day. So your DL will never go anywhere and Day 1 will exhaust you for Day 2

@_RudeCrew @leanr0x give you good advice. Specifically you can use 531 + dynamic sets. So...

Day 1: 531 squats, 5x2 DL @60%

Day 2: 531 DL, 5x2 Squats @60%

This site will calculate the 531 stuff for you http://www.strengthstandards.co/ - a word of caution - follow the reps and sets they give you based on 90% of your 1RM - this will pay off in the long run and you can always smash your final set for max reps.

Agreeeeeed
Post 8 IP   flag post
@mikew is like fedex, he delivers! Thank you everyone for the advice, I know it's gets old saying the same shit all the time, but it's hard for me to absorb things that I read, always had a problem with it. I'll check this out and try my best to make it work for me! Gonna stick with my bro splits for the next 3 days and I'm off to Vegas for a WEEK BAYBEE!! Then it's on like Donkey Kong when I get back!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Just battled legs again, here's what happened:
Squats: 135x5, 225x3, 275x1, 285x1(pr)
Deads: 135x5, 225x5x2
Leg press (calfs): 6 plates x12, 8 plates x10, 10 plates x8
Seated leg curl, 70x10, 90x8,110x8
Seated calf raise: 45x12, 90x10, 115x8

I don't know how far off the program that is, but I squeaked out 10lbs more for a new 1rm on squat, so I'm happy...
Post 10 IP   flag post
340735 10 10
destitute