Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingCuttingDiet AdviceIntroductionMacrosTraining Programs

Macro and diet advice17316

mattm90 private msg quote post Address this user
New to this page so go easy on me lol

Im 24, weigh 73kgs (160 lbs) and my height is 175cms (5' 7".
Mid march this year I weighed about 98kgs (216lbs) and decided that I was sick of being fat and unfit so made a lifestyle change. Anyway so Im currently eating 1800cals (225C 135P 40F) a day (and have been since late march) and doing weight training 4-5 times a week. I was doing HIIT session once a week but have since stopped. For the past month or so my weight has stayed the same and I was wondering if I should be changing things up with my diet and macros?

I want to try and get my body fat % down to as low as I can before I bulk up plus the fear of getting fat again is another reason to get it as low as I can.

Thanks for any info or advice guys (and girls).
Post 1 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Post a few pics.

I understand the want for low body fat but unless you are going to compete or its summer and you are spending time with your shirt off, I wouldn't bother getting super lean just to fluff back up on a bulk.

Not to mention you may not have much muscle mass to cut back on and you may just look skinny and once again 'unfit'.

I would add 100 calories a week until you are at SLOWLY gaining weight. Ideally you'll want to get the calories somewhere in the range of 2300-3000 (total assumption with your height and weight could be on the lower side since you are not very tall) and be gaining roughly a pound a week. Since you were previously heavier I know that can sound daunting but it's the name of the game. You've proven you can stick to a diet so cutting is not extremely hard for you.

Add 100 cals a week
Watch scale
Keep rolling AVERAGE of weight (yes your daily weight could fluctuate 3-5lb just by different amounts of water and food choices from the day before)
If after ( weeks you're average weight has increased more than 3-5lb cut 50 calories and rinse repeat.

If you still want to lose weight, often times when people have been in a deficit with lots of cardio (not exactly you) they have noticed weight loss to I tune after INCREASING calories.

Hope I help and I'm sure others will chime in.

Read through our FAQ to educate yourself a bit more before continuing the discussion.
Post 2 IP   flag post
JHughes private msg quote post Address this user
@mattm90 first off, way to take control of your life! Good work.....

@SOLARSUPLEX is giving some solid advice. I went from 248lbs to 178lbs in little over 3 years (summer 2010 to October 2013) I am 5'5". Decided to pursue bodybuilding in 2014 and entered the world of proper nutrition for building muscle and losing fat, its been an interesting learning curve.

I have been where you are at mentally. The hardest thing for you next will be to slowly bring up your calories back into a proper range. Staying at a higher maintence for a few weeks to allow your body to properly recover from being in a deficit for so long is going to open your eyes... it did me.

Good luck!
Post 3 IP   flag post
mattm90 private msg quote post Address this user

@SOLARSUPLEX & @Jhughes
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply. Ive posted a few pics. Maybe I dont even need to cut anymore because like you said its not as if im going to be in competition. Over the next few weeks I will up my calories slowly and keep an eye on the scales. There is so much to learn and I will definitely have a read of a few of the threads in the FAQ. Looking at those photos though, what would you personally be eating at a deficit or at maintenance. I guess im so used to eating at a deficit and scared of getting fat again that I worry about eating more.
Post 4 IP   flag post
A_em private msg quote post Address this user
It is not healthy to be on a deficit for such a long time. Increase the calories slowly to boost your metabolism. Gain some muscles ans strength and you will see the changes in your body.
Post 5 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
@A_em has got you covered. You aren't fat anymore. Get your body used to eating again then you can cut again in months down the road.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@A_em @SOLARSUPLEX Both giving you the best advice....!
Post 7 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
@mattm90 first off, congrats. Than as @JHughes said, you've got good advices from @SOLARSUPLEX and @A_em.

The trick is to slowly add calories. Looking at your breakdown, I would add fat and protein to start with.

Just a reminder, I'm 5'6" 164Lbs and at around 4K calories these days so don't be afraid to eat because you were someday fatier than now.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@MMB Thats so good to hear! I'm 5'5" 197lbs heading to 165lbs slowly and at 2100-2200 a day hahaha. the future is bright!
Post 9 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
@JHughes You look huge! Can't imagine when you're gonna be at 165#. That will be shredded as fuck
Post 10 IP   flag post
@MMB hahaha... thanks man! I'm interested myself!
Post 11 IP   flag post
340738 11 11
destitute