Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CardioCuttingDiet AdviceSplit Advice

Diet Advice17291

jostrosky private msg quote post Address this user
Starting a new cutting diet and always cannot figure out macros. I went to the stickies and got the formula that was on the site and I am 6'5 245lbs. and ~14% bf. I was curious if these were good macros to start out on working out about 20 mins a day cardio with about an hour of lifting supersets. I incorporate 2-3 HIIT sessions a week at the end of a workout, still doing the 20 mins at the beginning.

3300 calories

310g carbs 1240 cal
295g protein 1180 cal
98g fat 882 cal

Any advice please. Advanced lifter as well push myself in the gym.
Post 1 IP   flag post
kozzletoff private msg quote post Address this user
What is your TDEE? If it's about 3600-3800, macros look good to me, but I would personally reduce protein to 245 or 250g and eat more carbs. I also wouldn't start out with that much cardio - I'd take out the 20 min at the beginning and just start with the 2-3 HIIT sessions a week and increase if you stall after a few weeks.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah I used the formula like i said from the sticky. I used the bf% based on my Tanita Scale and I went up 1 % due to inaccuracy.

Question: Wouldn't eating that many carbs to to much? I was going by the article and she stated to go from 1.1-1.3 g/bw. so I went with 1.2.

is it true if you don't put in enough calories then you can actually decrease metabolic rate?

I was always curious if I am eating enough to even lose weight.

I can post my daily meal plan. I could use a critic.
Post 3 IP   flag post
From my knowledge, which is mostly from these forums, no you cannot eat too many carbs (I'm only 180 lbs and I'm eating 440g), and you only need .8g protein per pound so just round to 1g; and yes it is definitely better to overeat than to undereat. As far as it damaging your metabolic rate I think there is some effect but I don't have the best answer for that - I'm sure someone else on the forum does though.

and as far as your meal plan what questions did you have?
Post 4 IP   flag post
The reason for this post was to understand the macro aspect. I used the iifym.com calculator prior to using the sticky calculations. From the iifym my TDEE was 3357 and with using the other calculating macro from the bodybuilding.com sticky by Emma-Leigh i got ~3800. So i dropped it down to 3300 and went by those numbers. My meals typically go as normal and I am a teacher so I eat the same thing pretty much for ease.

Meal 1: 7:30 am
Post workout shake 1 scoop Syntha - 6 Isolate
6c/2f/25p

Meal 2: When i get to school 8 am
Fish oil 2f
Steel cut oats 80 grams- 54c/5f/10p
natural PB 24 g- 9c/24f/11p
Syntha-6 Isolate 1 scoop- 6c/2f/25p

Meal 3: Lunch 11:15 am
220g chicken- 0c/2f/50p
4 cups of brocolli- 16c/0f/8p

Meal 4: right befor LAX practice ~3:30pm
Apple 233g- 33c/0f/0p
Quest bar- 21c/8f/21p

Meal 5:dinner ~6-630pm
220g chicken 0c/2f/50p
Brocolli 275g- 19c/1f/8p
Sweet potato 164g- 34c/0f/3p
natural PB 32g- 6c/17f/7p

Meal 5: ~830-9pm
Liquid egg whites 30 tsp- 0c/0f/50p
Almonds 50g- 3c/27f/10p

This is a typical day. I eat the Quest bars for ease and as a sanity snack. I eat pretty "clean" other than that I typically eat out once every 10 days or so and even then i am that guy at the restaurant. My staples are oats, brocolli, chicken, albacore tuna, sweet potatos and natural PB and the protein shake because food is expensive.Everything is weighed out all chicken trimmed. Let me know if there is any advice.

so as of your early advice based on my numbers:

250g protein (1000)
350g carbs (1400)
100g protein (900)
Post 5 IP   flag post
just to let you know that meal was based on a 2850 cal diet.

214c/95f/285p

This is the whole reason for this post.
Post 6 IP   flag post
All those calculators are just starting points, but to really figure out what you need to eat you have to track for a couple of weeks and see how your body responds. You won't know for sure until you have the experience. Is that meal plan what you've been eating? and have you been tracking your food or are you just starting to on this cut?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The current numbers I was running on this cut for the past couple of weeks have been

2850 cal

214c/95f/285p

And yeah that has been a typical day. This is why I have asked for advice. I have not really seen any results and wanted to know if my fats were to high or what actual macros to run. Is it even good to jump up in carbs if I jump up to 350 or just gradually get there by adding in 50 grams a week. I am not trying to walk on stage or anything like like I would just like to get back down to around 8-10%bf. I didn't think i could get there on 350g of carbs but granted the fact that i have been sluggish and my carb intake is all low GI stuff i don't eat garbage, just dont crave it honestly. Oats and PB is my absolute favorite. Let me know what i should do. if you have a suggested program I am willing to try. I track on myfitnesspal.com

XxJar3dxX
Post 8 IP   flag post
I would probably do what you said and add 50g carbs a week until you get to your 3300 calories. Then track that and see how it goes, adjusting as necessary. But as far as macros go they look good. If you like foods with fat keep it, if you want more carbs then you could go down to 80g fats but its all personal preference really. But definitely down your protein a little bit unless you really like eating foods with protein over carbs.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I appreciate the advice. The thing is i pretty much tried a lot of scenarios in past and really don't get results and that is another reason why another persons opinion was needed. I mean I have tried the low carb with a lot of cardio and busting ass in the gym and nada. I have tried the high fat low carb, ketonic approach, and nada. I mean shit i don't eat out at all srs. I eat my basics like i mentioned before. I am just at a sticking point and I hate when I make changes and be on a program or diet for a while and literally see no change in strength or weight loss. I usually run a program or diet for about min of 8 weeks before changing. I understand the concept that the no change is weight is due to you losing fat and gaining muscle but brah i mean no change in mirror appearance either. You can see why i am so frustrated. And then imagine someone saying to you that you are not eating enough and that is why i asked if there was a possibility of slowing down metabolic rate due to not eating enough, kinda like a starvation mode for the body, thoughts?
Post 10 IP   flag post
sdmusev private msg quote post Address this user
You can't loose fat and build muscle in the same time As for the beginning of the post, I can suggest you use the formula that I have been using which is 40/40/20 - carbs/protein/fat. Now, how do you calculate your calories? Take your weight in pounds and multiply it by a number from 12 to 15 depending on your daily activities, the working out does not count. Once you get you calories just take 40% out of them for carbs, 40% for protein and 20% for fats. Then multiply the carbs and protein by 4 and the fats by 8. Once you get these numbers start gradually lowering your carbs without touching the rest of the macros.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Fats are actually 9 calories per gram. I appreciate the advice and I have used IIFYM calculators as well the formulas we used in our Exercise Science classes. See the thing is I have a Master's degree in this shit and still have no understanding of the physiological aspect of it. Understanding the biomechanics of a muscle contraction and how to move it is one thing but the dieting aspect I still don't understand. One thing i do know is that everyones body is different and I was wanting some different approaches to see how others have deal with it. I mean hell I got one guy telling me i am undereating as well as others and tell me to up my carbs etc, etc. Then you said, with all do respect, say lower my carbs.

The bottom line is that I believe that I do under eat due to the fact that I literally bust ass in the gym and I literally feel like i could eat everything in site every hour, no cravings for garbage food. My muscles cramp all the time and I do not believe its dehydration, I drink over 2 gallons of water a day and 1 of those gallon I start at 5 am on the way to the gym and finished by 8. Then the other gallon the rest of the day. I monitor my sodium intake as well.

I don't know bro just appreciate the advice.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmusev
You can't loose fat and build muscle in the same time As for the beginning of the post, I can suggest you use the formula that I have been using which is 40/40/20 - carbs/protein/fat. Now, how do you calculate your calories? Take your weight in pounds and multiply it by a number from 12 to 15 depending on your daily activities, the working out does not count. Once you get you calories just take 40% out of them for carbs, 40% for protein and 20% for fats. Then multiply the carbs and protein by 4 and the fats by 8. Once you get these numbers start gradually lowering your carbs without touching the rest of the macros.

You actually CAN lose fat and build lean body mass at the same time, just not as quickly as using a traditional bulk/cut phase. I'd also point out that, while consuming 40% protein isn't necessarily bad, it doesn't offer any benefit over a more realistic 30p/50c/20f approach, or something similar. There's simply no NEED to eat more than a gram/pound of bw.

OP- as someone who holds a masters in the field you do, it's surprising to hear "everyone's body is different." They're not. They're 99.99% identical and follow the same principles of physiology as everyone else. That's why everyone in your kinesiology class had the same textbook. No one had a special separate textbook for him or herself. Don't overthink things. If you're not losing fat, and you're healthy, you're either eating too much or not being active enough. One of those things needs to be adjusted. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
@eknight all I am saying is that everybody has a different metabolic rate than other. I understand from a genetic standpoint we as humans are the same, but what I am saying is hat I know everyone walking in the gym is different as in body type (ectomorph, mesomorph, or endo morph)

What I am saying is that I have tried tons of different macro combos in the past and it's hard to see results. I have even wondered if I am eating to much or to fast and tried changing these.

I was on that 2850 caloric intake for a good while like previously mention and for my size yes I do believe I was defiantly under eating especially with the way I train. I am more on the numbers that you have established and am going to try these out for a few week. I mean all the numbers are baseline.

Thanks for the advice
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
There's no such thing as body somatotyping. The scientific community dispelled that as a myth years ago. Please tell me you weren't taught that in a classroom.

The literature also demonstrates that total calories, not the macro composition of them, dictates fat loss.

Again- either eating too much or not as active as you need to be to lose the weight, if you're otherwise healthy. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
Unfortunately I did graduate about 15 years ago and they did teach us that. I have not been able to update enough knowledge or read much studies done on the matter. This is why i am researching respectable forum and getting information of people who have done this type of research and experience it first hand. I will admit I am a little rusty on the subject because when I did graduate I did end up teaching so like i said I really am behind on the knowledge aspect so be kind in that matter.

Going back to some questions I would like to ask and get your opinion on, since you are a respected member on this site. Like i have mentioned before I have done a lower caloric intake and bust ass in the gym cardio 20-30 mins a day, plus HIIT 2-3 times a week with weights 6 times a week for an hour. Also when I train I bust ass. I mainly focus on compound lifts I am soaked when I leave the gym, I don't socialize. Now with that in mind, in your respected opinion, would you say that a 3300 caloric intake is enough. Meaning, do you think I would be undereating or is that too much. I will try the calorie in-calorie out approach (be honest never tried that, always kept with macros). Thought??
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
"Busting ass," is so subjective. Your "busting ass," isn't the same as someone else's, so what I would advise is run the 3300 Kcals for a week or two and monitor results. You can then adjust up or down as needed. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
@eknight im just saying when I am busting ass I mean I am progressively overloading at each set and using good form with specific rest periods and things like that. I don't do a set then go socialize. Just stating that I utilize my time and like I mentioned I am sweating my ass off.

I appreciate the advice and do you mind if I contact you in the future for advice, you seem to be pretty updated on the content.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@eknight Okay I have taken your advice and stuck to a 3300 calorie diet. After two weeks stalled I dropped 150 calories and added one HIIT Session (2 total for the week)and still stalling. I have now dropped to 3000 calories for the past week and still stalling. Any suggestions.

Every workout session is to its max. I literally ring out sweat from my shirt and shorts.

Do you think there is a possibility of over-training that is stalling the weight lose? My blood work showed my CPK levels well over 1000?
Post 19 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Well over 1000 what? Without units that isn't meaningful. How did you have them tested.

Re. diet, you could drop another 150 and see what happens. -3X
Post 20 IP   flag post
the units wer in IU/L,and when i went into the ER the cardiologist indicated that the levels are well over 1000.

I was just curious if i was doing to much that it would stall fat loss. I have been at the same weight since the last i posted.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No idea. I've never seen test results in anything but mcg/L, so it's beyond my scope of practice. Did you ask your MD or speak to a dietician? -3X
Post 22 IP   flag post
my kidney doctor indicated to me that my CPK levels were normal for someone like me that workouts a lot. I have not talked with a dietitian, i figured that the experts on here might be able to give some advice.
Post 23 IP   flag post
340762 23 23
destitute