Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

help, does this sound like a good plan?17194

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys whats up,

I got a question, I am 6ft 2, 180 lbs and around 20-23%bf and i want to start building muscle but lose the fat first, my metabolism is so fucked up now because even if i eat something over i gain weight. so to help my metabolism become better, and lose weight at the same time i came up with a plan.
start eating 1,600 calories a day and add 100 cals each week, until i reach maintenance. when i reach maintenance i will have lost the excess fat from the weeks of increasing cals and my metabolism will ready for ready higher calories for the bulk from slow calorie progression, and if i lost the weight faster than i thought i just increase the weekly calories.

This way i will have helped my metabolism, lost weight and be ready for higher calories for my bulk.

does this sound good? Thanks for your help!
Post 1 IP   flag post
ErickFromOmaha private msg quote post Address this user
What's your maintenance calories? What are your macros? Did you use a accurate calculator like iifym's? 1600 calories for a 6ft 2male is no Bueno. My child eats more then that. Find your maintenance and go 100-200 lower calories and change when you stop losing weight. No need to starve yourself
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm trying to bring up my metabolism because right now it looks like it is very low. I am currently cutting at 1800 calories , doing tons of cardio. The thing is I'll be lucky if I even lose even a pound a week.

My maintainece is around 2500, and my macros are 50c/30p/20f, tracking it using myfitness opal.

Lol I have this mentality that info lift during a cut, since I'm a beginner I'll get stronger but not be able to take advantage of my noob gains.
Post 3 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@forgottenpass How long u lifting ??

Ur cals are Waay to low for someone ur size.

How much cardio u doing ??

I'd definately be thinking about a recomp.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The maintenance calories seem low too though
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
@forgottenpass How long u lifting ??

Ur cals are Waay to low for someone ur size.

How much cardio u doing ??

I'd definately be thinking about a recomp.

I lifted couple years ago, but it was only small gains. I am doing ONLY cardio, biting about 300-500 calls just running on the treadmill.

I am at a cross road now, if I bulk I will get even fatter, if i cut I will be skinny as fuck. And I hate life when I'm cutting, doing cardio bores me out.
What do I do?

Post 6 IP   flag post
@forgottenpass What do u expect to get exactly by bulking up and doing only cardio ??
If ur trying to build muscle you HAVE to be breaking down the tissues aka weightlifting.

So i'm confused what ur actual goals are.. i think u could still achieve some noob gains as most likely when u lifted it was unstructed and most likely not consistant like most when they begin.

If u want to bulk up aka put on muscle ur going to have to start lifting weights.
3-4xweek.. ditch the cardio and replace this time with lifting weights.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
@forgottenpass What do u expect to get exactly by bulking up and doing only cardio ??
If ur trying to build muscle you HAVE to be breaking down the tissues aka weightlifting.

So i'm confused what ur actual goals are.. i think u could still achieve some noob gains as most likely when u lifted it was unstructed and most likely not consistant like most when they begin.

If u want to bulk up aka put on muscle ur going to have to start lifting weights.
3-4xweek.. ditch the cardio and replace this time with lifting weights.

Think you may have misread my post bro. I am cutting so I am doing tons of cardio in order to burn the most amount of calories. I am not lifting weights because I don't have any muscle to preserve.

I REALLY, REALLY want to start lean bulking and put on muscle, but I remember a while back you said when your over 15% bf you store more fat than muscle when bulking.

Cliffs-
- Want to build as much muscle as I can
- I am a bit chubby, so afraid I'll put on more fat than muscle if I bulk
- hate my life when I am cutting with just cardio
Post 8 IP   flag post
@forgottenpass In order to look better body composition wise u should still be lifting.
U took what i said out of context also because i WAS lifting 4-5 times per week.

Ur not doing anything.

I would start immediately with a set program of full body split 4times per week INSTEAD of cutting with just cardio which is counter productive especially as u want good body comp.

When someone is taking advantage of noob gains i.e. in their first 12-18months of weight training the have a unique window in which they can build muscle ALOT of muscle and burn fat at the same time after this period that ability will reduce and at this point u can only build or burn fat effectively.

So start lifting,
drop the cardio,
start adding 100-200cals per week until maintenance and then add 100cals per week minimum.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
@forgottenpass In order to look better body composition wise u should still be lifting.
U took what i said out of context also because i WAS lifting 4-5 times per week.

Ur not doing anything.

I would start immediately with a set program of full body split 4times per week INSTEAD of cutting with just cardio which is counter productive especially as u want good body comp.

When someone is taking advantage of noob gains i.e. in their first 12-18months of weight training the have a unique window in which they can build muscle ALOT of muscle and burn fat at the same time after this period that ability will reduce and at this point u can only build or burn fat effectively.

So start lifting,
drop the cardio,
start adding 100-200cals per week until maintenance and then add 100cals per week minimum.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:

Ur not doing anything.

So start lifting,
drop the cardio,

Thanks for the great advice bro! Really helped me.

Ok so I am gonna start eating 1800 calories first week, then add 100 cals each week until maintainece, then stay at that for 2-3 weeks. Then I'm gonna start adding 100 cals until I start gaining .5 lbs a week, then on from there.

Question:

1.)I am 19.is it true that it isn't good for a teenager to cut unless they are obese. Because our bodies are primed for growth, and it would be a waste to cut.

2.)Any supplements you would recommend for me.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@forgottenpass fuck that staying at maintenance continue into a bulk u'll be fine.
I never advise people under 21 to do extreme cuts.. Sometimes mini cuts if they're obese but u just need to recomp.

Supps:
Whey
Creatine
Fish oil
Vit d3
(if u don't get a lot of sun)

Done.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
@forgottenpass fuck that staying at maintenance continue into a bulk u'll be fine.
I never advise people under 21 to do extreme cuts.. Sometimes mini cuts if they're obese but u just need to recomp.

Supps:
Whey
Creatine
Fish oil
Vit d3
(if u don't get a lot of sun)

Done.

Lol was researching about macros and found the awesome article you posted. http://rippedbody.jp/nutritional-hierarchy-importance-calories/ about to read this.

Do you think creatine is necessary? Doesn't it just bloat you and fill you up with extra water, which goes away after you stop taking it? What's the point?

do you think I should utilize stuff like carb back loading, and lowering my carbs on off days and increasing them on work days, and refeed days?
Post 13 IP   flag post
No, creatine aids in production of ATP which is a main factor in muscle energy for muscle contractions. Dis in developement of lean mass, helps recovery, cognitive function and strength benefits.
So no it dooesnt just bloat u.

No i dont carb backload.
Reffed days only necessary when deep in dieting and have been cutting for a long period of time.

U dont' need to worry about anything like that.

Ur a newbie, eat, train hard, sleep, recover.. repeat.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Jesus it's like this is on repeat. Just do what the man says. Stop with the baby calories 1800 cals isn't shit.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
No, creatine aids in production of ATP which is a main factor in muscle energy for muscle contractions. Dis in developement of lean mass, helps recovery, cognitive function and strength benefits.
So no it dooesnt just bloat u.

No i dont carb backload.
Reffed days only necessary when deep in dieting and have been cutting for a long period of time.

U dont' need to worry about anything like that.

Ur a newbie, eat, train hard, sleep, recover.. repeat.

Cool,cool. Thanks @Firemansi. this info really helped me straighten shit out. much appreciated!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Alright @Firemansi i got my macros down.

So for the first week of 1800 calories my macros are:

1800 cals
67g carb
180g protein
90g fat

Does this overall macros look good? The carbs will INCREASE every week because it is the amount left after 1g of protein per bw, .5g of fat per pound of bw. So when the calories increase every week so will my carbs.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Colossus private msg quote post Address this user
67g of carbs???
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus
67g of carbs???
Post 19 IP   flag post
@forgottenpass I'd start with MUCH higher carbs are ur gonna need them for energy.
U know what i'd start up at 2000 straight away.
180p,200c,54f

Keep adding to carbs and fat as u go week by week.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Man I'm on the fence about adding lots of carbs, i know they are important but i have read and watched many people say individuals who are skinny fat have low insulin resistance. And that there diets should be high in proteins and fats, and carbs will make them fatter because there body will store them as fat rather than use as energy.

If you guys think this is utter shit, how do you explain when a few years ago when i lifted i ate at a macro ratio of 50/30/20(high carb), and gains tons of fat and by bf% sky rocketed? I really don't want to make the same mistake, this is why I'm considering having a low crab diet?

..Thoughts?
Post 21 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
not everyone needs carbs and looses weights with more carbs.. some people are truly carb sensitive, if you feel this works for you, then try it out..
Post 22 IP   flag post
@the1, I'll keep my carbs somewhat low for a few weeks and see, if My energy and performance lacks, then I'll up the amount.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
You're looking to gain weight right? Those macros are a poor choice. -3X
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
You're looking to gain weight right? Those macros are a poor choice. -3X

I am planning on increasing my cals weekly until I'm at a surplus. So that way I will have lost fat through the process, and be ready to gain muscle.

As for macros, that amount was 1g of protein per bw, .5g of fat per bw, then Fill in the rest with carbs. Though I found this new article that suggests 1g of protein per bw, 20-30% of fat from my calories, then fill in the remaining with carbs.

I am avoiding the 50c/30p/20f ratio, because the carbs are really high. And I think I am INSULIN RESISTANCE,because of my "skinny fatness", in the past I had gained a lot of fat from this ratio. And I've also read that ratios are a load of bs, and that everyone should tailor their macros to their own weight and calories.
Post 25 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
But you're ignoring basic human physiology. Your brain needs glucose to run efficiently. No way around this. If you don't give it enough carbs to fuel nervous system function, it will simply convert protein to glucose, so you won't have enough to repair muscle tissue.

You also understand that eating low carb actually can CAUSE or worsen insulin resistance as part of a starvation type response, right? -3X
Post 26 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
@forgottenpass holy shit dude, either listen to the advice they're giving you or do what you want. you gained fat because you are more than you expended, plain and simple.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
@forgottenpass holy shit dude, either listen to the advice they're giving you or do what you want. you gained fat because you are more than you expended, plain and simple.

Your right bro. I just want everything to go as planned. Cause when I lifted few years ago, I worked my ass off lifting weights come to find out I gained a fuck ton of fat, which bummed me out. I just don't want to rpeat the same mistakes again, that's why I'm taking all the precautions... But I get what your saying.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
But you're ignoring basic human physiology. Your brain needs glucose to run efficiently. No way around this. If you don't give it enough carbs to fuel nervous system function, it will simply convert protein to glucose, so you won't have enough to repair muscle tissue.

You also understand that eating low carb actually can CAUSE or worsen insulin resistance as part of a starvation type response, right? -3X

Hmm, definetly didn't know that. Probably aren't insulting resistance just gained weight because of a high caloric surplus.

But Does the macros I explained in my post work?
1g of protein per bw,
20-30% of fat from my calories then fill the rest with carbs?

Here's the article- http://rippedbody.jp/complete-diet-nutrition-set-up-guide/
Post 29 IP   flag post
@forgottenpass probably cause weren't lifting, following a bulking diet for people WHO LIFT WEIGHTS and in too much of a surplus.

Yes ur reading articles U WANT TO FIND.
Fuck me if I looked hard enough I'd find a study that tells us cows are smarter than people !!

And u Definately don't realise how important carbs are...
I was eating 500-550g DAILY and still had abs.

So in summary, u weren't even teaming eating too much and hadn't a clue what I were rayon and why !!
What did u expect to happen !!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340740 34 30
destitute