Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressCuttingSplit Advice

Is bench proportional to your body weight?17097

Blackbasara private msg quote post Address this user
I heard from a lot of people if you are on cut you lose your strength on your bench press compare to deadlift and squat. Currently i'm running DUP and getting stronger on those lifts. Will be on cut from next week so is it possible to keep increasing bench press while on deficit? I'm on slow deficit.
Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Yes it's possible if you do a slow deficit like you said. You should gain strength.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on how shredded you want to get
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^ this. Once I get sub 10%, I'll lose around 5 pounds on my bench for every pound of body weight I drop. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
I've lost 34 pounds on my cut so far. I was benching 275 for about 10. I did it for 6 today. I'm at 7-8% currently. And I know by the time I get to 4% I will probably only do it 3-4 times. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to accept though
Post 5 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
@Zyzzst how you lookin now? Been waiting on your log posts. Abs came in I bet.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@TimmothyGen yea man I'm starting to look very good. Not going to post until about 5 weeks out in that log. It's so funny how you think you are getting shredded around 9-10 weeks out and you look at pics now and say what was o thinking hahaha
Post 7 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
general rule:
lose 1 lb of bw, lose 1 lb of bench

for squat:
lose 1 lb of bw, lose 2 lb of squat

for dl:
lose 1lb of bw, lose 0.5 lb of dl (this varies heavily, some overweight people actually get stronger if they lose weight)
Post 8 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
general rule:

for squat:

for dl:
lose 1lb of bw, lose 0.5 lb of dl (this varies heavily, some overweight people actually get stronger if they lose weight)

That seems quite the opposite for most people. Most people can cut weight and get stronger with deadlifts and squats unless they cut for a super long time and get pretty low in body fat. Bench seems to be effected first and the most in most cases. Maybe not so much for you cause you were a bench queen and barely squat and deadlift to begin with.
Post 9 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
@_RudeCrew bench queen lmfao
Post 10 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
general rule:

for squat:

for dl:

That seems quite the opposite for most people. Most people can cut weight and get stronger with deadlifts and squats unless they cut for a super long time and get pretty low in body fat. Bench seems to be effected first and the most in most cases. Maybe not so much for you cause you were a bench queen and barely squat and deadlift to begin with.

dl i agree, like i wrote. for squats i believe you're just gaining noob gains if you increase in strength while going down in weight. adding or lowering fat makes HUGE difference in squat
Post 11 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think it's a HUGE difference lol. My squat has never went down much while cutting, just my presses.
Post 12 IP   flag post
340614 12 12
destitute