Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingNewbieTraining Programs

Should I bulk or cut?!?17061

MattShowtime private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 24, I've been lifting for almost 2 years now. I compete in BJJ tournaments and I'm always training. I'm wanting to be able to get shredded but need to know if I need to add more of a base. I'm 5'10 at 168. Both are without flexing. I'm wanting to clean bulk soon but I'd like to know if i have a decent base to get down to 8%

Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Bucky will say you need to loose 50lbs. I'll say you need to gain 50lbs... All comes down to what YOU want to do
Post 2 IP   flag post
my goal is to be between 175-180 8% body fat. I'm just wondering what I should do first. I'm competing a lot and I will have to move up a class but don't want to risk being sluggish if I bulk. I'd like to have more muscle size on me while keeping performance up and be shredded haha if only it was that easy
Post 3 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Well fuck dude lol we can't have everything in life. Unless you're Dan Bilzerian. Your goal is something that will take a long time. Even longer since you're involved in combat sport. Idk what to suggest. Other than it can be done. Lol
Post 4 IP   flag post
Haha I appreciate the help man! I'm kinda leaning towards a clean bulk, I hate this low cal shit I'm doing right now. Any tips on gain quality muscle while minimizing fat gains?
Post 5 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@MattShowtime it's all in the FAQ thread (at the top of the thread list with the red star). Moderate calorie surplus plus weight training plus time... there's not a shortcut. Unless you're @SRorhrbac0808

That being said I don't think a bulk will make you sluggish at all. You'll have more energy for workouts. Just keep up with speed and agility and so on in your BJJ training.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @mikew. As long as you are still training for bjj, puting on some weight shouldn't make you sluggish.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Sounds good! How many days should I lift a week if I'm training 4 days a week on BJJ? Sorry I'm kinda a noob haha also how many cals should I take in?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Srs? Mike has already told you- it's all in the FAQ thread. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
5'10 at 160 is pretty small to not be lean, I'd bulk.
Post 10 IP   flag post
TheSecret private msg quote post Address this user
I lurk around these forums a lot in an attempt to learn more about training, and specifically dieting. I've been lifting consistently for about 6-7 months now although I've been in and out of the gym for about 2 years.

I started with a similar build to yours, what worked for me was a moderate calorie surplus, just as Mike has stated above. It'll be well worth your while to do so, as you'll build a lot of strength that way and also begin to develop a more "shredded" physique. Also, considering that you're doing a lot HIIT like training in your BJJ training you probably won't have much of an issue with your endurance or agility. You may even decide to hit a heavier surplus sooner than later. But, by the looks of it you definitely need to hit the gym hard and work your ass off in the kitchen.
Post 11 IP   flag post
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
Why not work at maintenance until you reach your strength limits, then do the same (at maintenance) until you reach your hypertrophy limits. Then do the same (at maintenance) until you reach your strength limits again... and on and on and on.

In other words, why bulk or cut? ONLY YOU KNOW THIS! Are you moving weight classes? Do you just want to get stronger? This thread doesn't make sense to me. You can shred without gaining or losing weight.
Post 12 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd shave.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
Bucky will say you need to loose 50lbs. I'll say you need to gain 50lbs... All comes down to what YOU want to do

basically what he's saying if you'd rather look like a fatass like himself but be strong, then keep on bulking.

if you'd rather have okay strength but look better and be lean like myself, then prioritize cutting first.

neither one of us is right except for me, but do what you want to do. personally I couldn't give two shits about having high numbers on the primary three, I would rather look good, not wreck havoc on my ligaments and joints, and be lean and catch the attention of women. but do whatever you want man, lift for you and your goals.
Post 14 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@MattShowtime U realise u'd have to be about 145lb to be 8% and who the fuck what's to be 8%.

Dude if u want to bulk then bulk.
If u want to trim back a few then do that !
Post 15 IP   flag post
I didn't realize that haha I definitely don't want to be that light. I compete in 155-170. I guess I'm going on a bulk lol I just need a good routine since right now I'm only training jits 3 days a week
Post 16 IP   flag post
340614 16 16
destitute