Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestProgress PicsProgress Update

Db press pr17012

csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
Just moved to a gym with heavier dbs, on my 2nd session i made it through 4x10 with 110s. Hit 11 on the last set. Please do not comment with hate, but i am open to advice clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know how to say this and not be accused of hate. Those are half-reps. Not all the way down. Not locked out. My advice is go through the entire ROM. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't lock out on the movement man. You won't keep constant tension at all, I can't tell if you went all the way down or not, but I liked the rom. At least for my bb purposes. Oh and does your gym have any fans? I can't see any.
Post 3 IP   flag post
They can't go any further down without nailing my chest lol, but I'll work on locking them out more
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Zyzzst that's actually why I don't lock out, I feel like my chest growsbetter keeping the tension, but anything is worth a shot and we have one big one lol
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Then touch your chest. It's not an issue if you have control of the eccentric portion of the lift. Observe- can be done:

@Zyzzst that "constant tension" thing is a myth. There's no way to have the arms adducted in that position and NOT have tension. That's why static holds from the unrack position are beneficial to more than just the CNS. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't see a point in going any slower on the negatives I can easily reverse the lift, but I will go down a bit further and see how it feels on my cuffs
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Well considering the eccentric portion of the lift is where maximum growth will occur, not the concentric, that alone should help you see the point.

Re those partial, not locked-out reps:

Muscle Growth Research

In a study comparing Scott curls with a full compared to a partial ROM, there was a trend for greater growth of the arms in the full ROM group [2].
Research comparing full to partial squats, including unpublished work by exercise scientist Truls Raastad in Norway, shows that full squats lead to more muscle growth of the quadriceps than partials [6].
A full leg training program including squats resulted in more thigh muscle growth when performed with full reps than with partial reps [7].
Training the quadriceps at long muscle lengths results in higher muscle activation than training at shorter muscle lengths. This remains true when absolute or relative training intensity is held constant. In general, at long muscle lengths a muscle is under greater biomechanical stress (shorter moment arm, reduced cross-bridge formation and reduced force production per sarcomere). [9]
Over the course of a partial rep leg training program, quadriceps muscle activation decreased in the part of the ROM that wasn’t exercised [9].

http://bretcontreras.com/partial-vs-full-reps-or-both/

The idea that "constant tension" is lost when you lock out is bro-science and should be treated as such.

Strong handling of the 110s nonetheless. Nice work. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks man I'll slow it down next time and give it a shot
Post 9 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Biggest mother fucking fan I've ever seen
Post 10 IP   flag post
You should see the ones in the factory I work in lol, they are literally called big ass fans lmao
Post 11 IP   flag post
There's no such thing as constant tension. Ok go ahead and tell my coach that, along with all the other ifbb pros and professional athletes he trains. Inb4 you claim that steroids make the person and not constant tension. I can guarantee you a person that practices constant tension will be way better off than a person who doesn't.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@Zyzzst The range of motion thing is just a myth built on bodybuilder's egos imo. Locking out with full control makes it harder. If it's harder, you're doibg more work, which is actually better for bb purposes. Too many guys over the years just trying to throw around too much weight, so they said locking out is bad lol. Not saying anyone should do either one, just do whatever you like. But definitely bullshit lol.
Post 13 IP   flag post
No locking out takes tension out of the muscle. It's common fucking sense. I can hold 315 over me for a good five minutes but the second I unlock that joint what the fuck happens? Just debunked that with a simple example.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Personally I feel like the reps are harder when I keep tension, locking out makes it easier for me, feels like less fatigue. I can actually do more reps with everything when I lock out
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by csizemore21
Personally I feel like the reps are harder when I keep tension, locking out makes it easier for me, feels like less fatigue. I can actually do more reps with everything when I lock out

I'm just saying there's a reason for that
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzst
No locking out takes tension out of the muscle. It's common fucking sense. I can hold 315 over me for a good five minutes but the second I unlock that joint what the fuck happens? Just debunked that with a simple example.

Do you squeeze your pecs at the tip of a press ot just lock out yout elbows?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Beans your point is totally invalid. My pecs can flex but there is no tension on them. It's just me flexing the muscle. Go around your house and flex your muscles and tell me if they grow. Just because your muscle is flexed doesn't mean there is tension being put on it
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Zyzzst Haha well I didn't say that. Just curious if you've ever tried completing pressing motions while still contracting your pecs instead of relaxing at the top, like you were doing flyes. Dunno, usually makes it harder for me.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
Quote:

Do you squeeze your pecs at the tip of a press ot just lock out yout elbows?

And if you are stating that not locking out totally and squeeze your pecs at the apex without totally locking out is the correct way to have full rom, then I would totally agree. Locking out is pointless unless I'm going to unrack and rerack the weight
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
@Zyzzst Haha well I didn't say that. Just curious if you've ever tried completing pressing motions while still contracting your pecs instead of relaxing at the top, like you were doing flyes. Dunno, usually makes it harder for me.

Yes this exactly! That is full rom! Which would be constant tension! Constant tension can't be a myth, because if you are weightlifting in this style then it is considered constant tension!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Zyzzst lol yeah I don't mean locking out and chilling at the top, I would consider full rom while keeping tension either locking out while still pushing your pecs towards the ceiling and immedietly going back down, or stopping JUST short of lockout. My first post was more about the all too common style of half reps and saying "yeah man, constant tension".
Post 22 IP   flag post
Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
That fan tho!
Post 23 IP   flag post
GetBigDieMirin private msg quote post Address this user
I saw the video, came down to comment on the fan, and saw 2 others have already. im sure it makes your reps harder because they are being weighed down by all of that air that that fan is moving, try moving benches next time.
Post 24 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
First Cool Pr looks like a sick gym and it's empty.

Any tips on the set up though? Do you guys just lay down and somehow dig your shoulder blades into the bench or what?
Post 25 IP   flag post
A_em private msg quote post Address this user
@csizemore21 you better tell me if u got rid of your Rx?!
Post 26 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
@Beans your point is totally invalid. My pecs can flex but there is no tension on them. It's just me flexing the muscle. Go around your house and flex your muscles and tell me if they grow. Just because your muscle is flexed doesn't mean there is tension being put on it

That is actually EXACTLY what it means. A muscle can not contract without tension being on it.

"Go around your house and flex your muscles and tell me if they grow"

So I guess in addition to not subscribing to the sliding filament theory, you also don't believe isometric contractions exist?

Physiology.

Not even once. -3X
Post 27 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

The idea that "constant tension" is lost when you lock out is bro-science and should be treated as such.
-3X

Quote:
There's no such thing as constant tension.

@Zyzzst I think you may have misread what he said. He said that locking out doesn't take tension off the muscle, rather locking out allows you to still maintain constant tension through a full ROM, instead of just having a constant tension on half ROM.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
^100% this, which is what the literature demonstrates.

Little info on isometrics as well: https://www.t-nation.com/training/isometrics-for-mass -3X
Post 29 IP   flag post
It think he's just getting at that it feels easier locking out, I know it does for me that's why I don't do it on my presses other than maxes. I can do 4x10 or 1x23 not locking out with the 110s, when I lock out I know I can do more bc I feel like I fatigue later and doing lifts like this are not hurting my maxes at all with lock out
Post 30 IP   flag post
340752 60 30
destitute