Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Push Pull LegsSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Push Pul Legs balance & volume17001

susisu private msg quote post Address this user
Hello there.

6ft Male 81kg, lifting for a few years. 1000lb club last year. Looking to focus more on hypertrophy and I understand twice a week frequency is the most optimum.

I've put together a PPL routine that I will be performing over 8 day cycles: PPLrPPLr.

My Push & Pull days are identical. I may change my vertical pull every few weeks (chinup/pullsup/pulldownns).

My Leg days alternate between deadlift & squat focus (Day 3 & Day 6).

I'd love some feedback regarding the balance (e.g push:pull, ham:quad) and weekly volume of each muscle group.

I'll be aiming to progress my lifts weekly providing I hit my rep range.

Thanks.

Pull
DB Row 3x6-8
Pull Up 3x6-8
T-bar Row 3x8-12
Face Pulls 3x15-20
Hammer Curls 3x8-12

Push
DB Bench Press 3x6-8
Standing BB Press 3x6-8
Incline DB Press 3x8-12
Lateral Raise 3x8-12
Cable flyes 2x8-12
Lying Tricep Extension 2x8-12
Rope Pushdowns 2x8-12

Legs
(Day 3) Low Bar Squat 3x5
(Day 3) Deficit Deadlift 3x6-8
(Day 6) Deadlift 1x5
(Day 6) High Bar Squat 3x6-8
Leg Press 3x8-12
Leg Curl 3x8-12
Abs
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Too much push, not enough pull. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks. I'll add lat pulldowns 3x8-10 to my pull days.

Should I also consider removing lateral raises considering I already hit shoulers with Standing BB Press and indirectly via Incline DB Press.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I'd remove inclines. Lateral raises work the lateral delts, not the anterior, so you're fine leaving them in. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
If i were you i would have done the push workout like this

DB Bench Press 3x6-8
Standing BB Press 3x6-8
Cable flyes 3x10-12
Cable scaptions 3x10-12
Rope Pushdowns 2x10-12

Or like this

DB Bench Press 3x6-8
Incline DB Press 3x10-12
Cable scaptions 2x10-12 + 2x13-15
Rope Pushdowns 2x10-12

And i advice "scaptions" (lateral raises in the scapular plane) over normal lateral raises (frontal plane).
Why? Start reading at "scapular plane" in this article.
Normal lateral raises have fucked up alot of peoples shoulders, including my own.
And according to the study below the EMG activity isn't that much different between the two.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25920341

Also, you might want to do it pull/push/legs instead of push/pull/legs since your upper backs gets hit pretty hard isometrically in deadlifts, so 1 days rest between the two workouts wouldn't hurt.
And i personally hate training my back with sore pecs and shoulders, i actually couldn't do it for more than a couple of weeks when i tryed it, it gave me a nagging pain in my shoulders which forced me to take 3 weeks of all upper body training.
And you might want to do pull-ups first and up your db row rep range to 8-12 and t-bar to 12-15, just to get a better push/pull ratio.
Some shrugs wouldn't hurt either.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback, Rawsteel. I included 3 chest movements because it's something that's always felt undeveloped. But I'll go with one of the pushes you recommend. Perhaps the one with chest flyes to help focus on my chest.

I'll also check out the information regarding Scapular plane-scaptions.

I was planning on running pull push legs because I'd like a day between my back work and deadlifts. However I hadn't considered how working out my anterior would affect my posterior workout. So it's reassuring to know this will.

I thought putting pull ups between my 2 horizontal pulling movements would be good as it gives those muscles a little rest. However I'll perform these as my first movement.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by susisu

I thought putting pull ups between my 2 horizontal pulling movements would be good as it gives those muscles a little rest. However I'll perform these as my first movement.

Vertical and horizontal pulling movements trains the same muscles, but to a different degree.
Post 7 IP   flag post
340762 7 7
destitute