Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieSplit Advice

Smith machine for SS??16980

chibulls21 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone I was curious if you could use a smith machine for starting strength, or if I should just stick to the regular bench.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't use the Smith machine for anything. Why are you considering it? -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a spotter, and for some reason there are more smith machines then there are standard racks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Ouch that sucks. If you absolutely have to, it's better than not doing an exercise, but it just doesn't work the same muscles in the same way, since you're in a fixed plane of movement and your shoulder stabilizers aren't recruited as heavily. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
That makes a lot of sense thanks. I have read the FAQ what one of those plans would you recommend I'm place of SS?
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Almost all routines at some point make use of the barbell bench press, so I would not necessarily advise one over another. Have you considered asking people to work in with them? -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Nah I haven't but that's a good idea thanks you have been a huge help!
Post 7 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
With starting strength you shouldn't be using weights you can't handle at the start. Then you will get more comfortable with weights and you just kinda know when to ask for a spotter

Good luck with the program. I loved it. Download the app for your phone. Makes it impossible to forget what weights to use.

Edit: I always get strong lifts and starting strength mixed up. I have not done starting strength. Regardless. Have fun!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
@chibulls21 Google "starting strength excel spreadsheet calculator"

bam. you're welcome.
Post 9 IP   flag post
^my man!! Thanks ha
Post 10 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
As said, just ask someone around you to help you unrack/spot.
And i'm curious, don't you have a safety rack at your gym? If you don't, drag a bench in to the squat rack and set up the safety bars if you're worried.
I personally have been benching twice a week for 7 years without a spotter or safety rack/bars and i'm still alive :p
Post 11 IP   flag post
340763 11 11
destitute