Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestWTF

Is T-Nation full of shiitaki?16874

haole private msg quote post Address this user
I came across this post "Ditch The Barbell Bench Press".

The entire articles sounds like it is broscience based off of one guys observations and opinions.

He states that decline press is useless and that dumbell bench is the best for chest development???

Last I heard was that decline bench recruits more muscle fibers than flat and incline bench according to emg tests...per @eknight

@eknight what do you think?

This is the article https://www.t-nation.com/training/ditch-the-barbell-bench-press
Post 1 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
I don't agree with all their articles either. And, if you polled all of their contributors, they probably have the same opinion as we do.

I think really they have such a high demand for new content they sometimes don't have the greatest quality.

Also, what's with Tc luoma only writing articles to sell supplements recently?! I miss atomic dog.
Post 2 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
They post a new article every single day so you tend to get some bullshit. Just figure out which contributors you enjoy. I think I only read stuff from John Romano (was in Bigger, Stronger, Faster*), CT (sometimes), Dan John, Chris Colluci, and Bill Roberts. I tend to ignore the rest, barring an interesting tittle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannowman
Also, what's with Tc luoma only writing articles to sell supplements recently?! I miss atomic dog.

I really miss atomic dog.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @GrizzlyBerg, author makes a bigger difference than the site itself. SS has a bunch of crap too. Ive read some really good articles on t nation, and some stupid ones.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know. I'm not sure he's entirely incorrect about any of his assessments. What's the issue with the article? -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
I don't know. I'm not sure he's entirely incorrect about any of his assessments. What's the issue with the article? -3X

This...
The entire articles sounds like it is broscience based off of one guys observations and opinions.
@eknight
He states that decline press is useless and that dumbell bench is the best for chest development???
Post 6 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
I think dumbbell press is best for development... I'm pretty sure I saw a emg test thing.

Then again there's this more weight on barbell vs dumbbell less weight

I wouldn't say decline is useless just depends on the individuals goals.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I'm not a huge fan of declines, but I don't suppose they're useless. Insofar as the DB press is concerned it certainly does offer the benefits he cites, as well as being a bit less stressful to the shoulder joint.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel like there's enough meat on the bone there to not dismiss it entirely as broscience. You'll notice I didn't say he was absolutely right, though, just that he wasn't necessarily incorrect. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
I'm not a huge fan of declines, but I don't suppose they're useless. Insofar as the DB press is concerned it certainly does offer the benefits he cites, as well as being a bit less stressful to the shoulder joint.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel like there's enough meat on the bone there to not dismiss it entirely as broscience. You'll notice I didn't say he was absolutely right, though, just that he wasn't necessarily incorrect. -3X

I'm sure you remember the whole "upper chest" and incline vs decline vs flat bench discussion where according to the EMG tests that you posted they proved that decline was most effective and that you could not target a specific point on the chest.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yes. What is it that you're getting at here? -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole

Last I heard was that decline bench recruits more muscle fibers than flat and incline bench according to emg tests

Which studies? In the ones i've read (like this) both flat and incline presses have shown a greater pec and anterior delt activity.
Post 11 IP   flag post
340764 11 11
destitute