Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestIntroductionMuscle ImbalanceSoccerTeen

What's wrong with my chest ?16869

WorkInProgress private msg quote post Address this user
What's wrong with my chest ?

I've been lifting in the gym for over 10 months now and I am very happy with the overall gains I made!
But I'm not very happy with the gains I made in my chest.

This is how I look now:

As you can see my chest is still a bit flat and stops very abruptly which causes it to not make that perfect chest shape I want but more a half chest.

What could cause this ?
Is it training schedule ? Could it be my nutrition or should I not worry to much because I'm still pretty new to lifting ?

My chest schedule is as follows:

5 sets, 6-8 reps, 1 weight (70kg total right now) - Bench press

3 sets, 12-15 reps, weight increase by the set - incline dumbell press

3 sets, 12-15 reps, weight increase by the set - dumbell pull over

3 sets, 12-15 reps, weight increase by the set - cable cross over

I do this about 1-2 times a week.

So what can I do about my problem ?

Keep in mind that I'm 17, my nutrition is very good ( I have my bad weeks ) and i'm training for 10 months. And I play football ( Soccer for the americans ) on a pretty high level so I only got time to go to the gym 4-5 times a week.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
you've been lifting for 10 months...
Post 2 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
Mostly it's just time. There's nothing wrong with your chest, you're just a beginner.

You could probably drop half your chest exercises and just focus on getting stronger on 1 or 2. See the faq.

Also, if you're playing football all the time you're probably not eating enough to support growth as well. Building muscle has to be paid for. The currency is food. Again, see the faq.

Basically, you're not doing bad, but you've got some to learn and a lot of gym time to look forward to.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing is wrong with it. Judging by the rest of your physique, you are eating enough. 10 months is nothing.it takes most people years to put on an impressive amount of muscle. Just keep at it, keep overloading and eating, and eventually it will fill out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
I believe you should focus on your entire upper body, especially chest, traps, and lats. This approach will give you the desired effect of a bigger chest.

Eknight recommends a 2:1 push/pull ratio so this would fit with that strategy.

And like others have said - great start but 10 months is just the beginning.
Post 5 IP   flag post
MMB private msg quote post Address this user
Don't forget that big lats make the chest look bigger to. And like other said, keep eating and lifting dude. 10 month is not enough to start looking for physique "lacking parts".
Post 6 IP   flag post
WorkInProgress private msg quote post Address this user
Thx for the feedback guys!
I'll keep working and eating
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
From the info given i would say your chest is not recovering fast enough especially as you've good progress everywhere else, like said drop the volume and just hit 2 big exercises
Post 8 IP   flag post
Aoverto7 private msg quote post Address this user
DB Pullover is a back exericse
Post 9 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkInProgress

To add onto what @Aoverto7 says these exercises & rep ranges don't make sense to me.

If you're working out twice per week I suggest a power day and a dynamic day...

Nix the inclines altogether, add in CGBP, power day 3x5 with linear progression, etc. Lots of ways to improve everything from exercise selection to rep ranges to number of sets. And of course hitting that 2:1 ratio recommended by @eknight

While your at it you might benefit from the Dave Tate So you think you can bench series on YouTube.
Post 10 IP   flag post
ezvmoneybeast private msg quote post Address this user
@Aoverto7 no its not. it pumps chest nicely
Post 11 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkInProgress

You don't train your pecs to grow, you train them to endure 15 bloody sets and 138-175 reps.
Do you see the logic in that you, a beginner, using the same amount of sets as a juiced up Mr. Olympia competative?
An advice, read Eknight's thread here plus this, this, this and this.
And here's one of the biggest studies made about frequency, volume and intensity.

But to put it short, your protein synthesis remains elevated for 48-72 h after a workout and it doesn't require much to fully stimulate it.
Moderate volume (30–60 repetitions per session) appear to yield the largest responses in terms of muscle growth.
So hitting each muscle once a week with a high volume makes no sense.
When the protein synthesis is peaked, more reps/sets wont give you more growth, only endurance and an increased recovery time.
Post 12 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing links...
Post 13 IP   flag post
340752 13 13
destitute