Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingMotivationNewbieSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Workout advice for slow bulk and hypertrophy16861

Pdv92 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone.
First, let me tell you I love this community :P You're more open and willing to help newbies or demotivated people without making them feel uncomfortable or idiots (as happens in other bb community... just saying.)
That said, I hope I'll receive some useful advice once again!

To sum it up: I come from a overweight adolescence and I've lost weight really really quick at the age of 17-18.
Atm I'm
23 yo
5'8'' (174 cm)
145 pounds (65,5 kg)

I'm not lean as I'd like to be before a bulk - I still have some stubborn fat over my belly and sides -, but I think it's pointless to lose more weight in this condition.

So, I'm here to ask you some advice about a new workout!
What would you suggest me to do? My goal is hypertrophy for aesthetics.

For the past months I've been working on a three days split,
A: Chest - Back
B: Legs - Abs
C: Shoulders - Arms
It was structured with a basic exercise with progressive overload (i.e.: Bench Press 4x10-8-6-4 ; Squats 4x12-10-8-6 ; etc.), then two or three more exercise for the same group in 3x8 or similar sets/reps.

I've noticed some improvements at the beginning, but I'm still confused about how to work out and on the long run I didn't have the improvements I should have had.

1. My PT always told me to push as much as I could, so I worked almost to failure, always had DOMS and so on.
I've found on the forums that someone advise against this, though.
I thoughts that working each muscle group only once a week, I had to push the hardest I could to get gains. So I always asked a spotter on my fundamental exercises (bench press, squats, back pushups etc) to be sure to do as much weight as I could.
What do you think about this?

2. Is an A-B-C split good, bad, or is it just subjective?
In your personal experience would you think a A-B-A-B would fit me better?
My problem with multiple muscle per week splits is that I don't know how much is... too much. I mean: failure? not failure? Should I do more, should I do less?
That's why I always thought A-B-C with "push the hardest you can" philosophy would be good.

Thanks everyone! I'll decide about which workout adopt according to your suggestions. Hoping to receive some :P

Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forums bro. Give something new a shot like up your workouts to 4x a week instead of 3x and maybe try something like upper/lower/off/off/upper/lower/ off... Just play around with it and eat enough to to gain a little weight.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Any advice in particular about how to manage a 4x upper/lower workout, for example?
Once I pick a classic upper/lower from the forum and try it... how should I try managing my weights?

For example, let's say I do U/L/Rest/rest/U/L/Rest and do compounds movements on 4 sets x 6 reps.
Let's also say that my max for bench pressing is 150 lbs.

What would that 4x6 bench press become?
Should I aim to reach failure, or anyway to do as much as I weight and then progress every workout? Or what?

I'm having problems managing this kind of things.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Start off with linear progression. Start light and go up 5-10lbs each week until you stall. Then switch rep range and start light again and continue.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Switching rep range means? Like changing from 4x6 to 4x8 or something like that?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
Read the FAQ up at the top, pick a pre-designed program and run with it. Personally I loved PHAT, best of both worlds of heavy lifting and also lifting in the higher rep ranges.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
Read the FAQ up at the top, pick a pre-designed program and run with it. Personally I loved PHAT, best of both worlds of heavy lifting and also lifting in the higher rep ranges.

So you would suggest PHAT for a hypertrophy/aesthetic goal?
I'm checking around to see what people have experienced with it. They all seem pretty much satisfied.
Post 7 IP   flag post
340630 7 7
destitute