Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingNewbieProgress PicsTeenTraining Programs

Four months into cutting, losing motivation16848

Pdv92 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello guys.
To sum it up: I come from a overweight adolescence and I've lost weight really really quick at the age of 17-18.
I've been training for some years now but I'm not satisfied and I don't know what to do.
This year I've started a bulk-cut cycle hoping I would get lean for the summer holidays, buuut... yea, I'm faaair behind my expectations.

I'm 5,9' (175 cm)
End of bulk weight: 159 pounds (more or less, it varied so it could have been a bit less)
Actual weight: 143 pounds
I'm eating clean (400 under maintenance), getting my proteins right and doing heavy weight 3x week plus a bit of cardio every now and then.

I didn't lose much strength, my weights are pretty much the same, but I feel muuuch skinnier! and above all I don't have any visible abs yet, so I fear I have to cut more and this frustrates me a lot.

My plan was to be lean for the summer holidays and then start slow-clean bulking again from September.

What do you think I should do?

It feels like I wasted too much time and money this year achieving nothing, and that makes me really frustrated. :/

Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
That's not bad considering you lost 16 pounds. Put a pic up before you started cutting so we can see the physical difference.

Also, try doing HIIT 2-3 times a week in place of cardio. Other than that, make sure your macro split is something optimal I.e 50/30/20 would be best. Shit takes time man.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Unfortunately I don't have good pics of before. I was dumb, I know.
I'll take regular pictures from september. :/

Anyway, what should I do now? I feel skinnier than I should, but of course I'm not lean either.

Shold I cut some lbs more and then start with a slow bulking?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Well you didn't waste time if you lost 16 lbs. Sounds like a successful cut. For some people (myself included) it takes a long time to gain enough muscle to look good when you're lean.

It's up to you. If you're comfortable with how lean you are and feel good, go on a slow bulk. If you want to cut a bit more, you seem to have it under control and can do that.

I would personally start bulking. Need to build something to show off next time you cut. The more muscle you have, the better you will look at the same body fat%.
Post 4 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
It's up to you but I'd personally bulk for 8-12 solid months before attempting another cut
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you very much for your advice.
I would start bulking but I fear that will ruin my goal to be at least lean for the summer.
And atm I would prefere to seem less muscular but have some form of abs.

Still, I don't know if I will be able to reach that goal in time for august.

If you say I won't do too much damage cutting for a little more (like until the end of July/August), I will try that way and then start slow-bulking from September.

One more thing:
My workout now involves almost the same thing I did for bulking, to keep my strength and weights in check.
I've just reduced calories and added some cardio once a week.
It's a 3x split (chest-back , shoulders-arms , legs ) that seemed to work for me.

Should I change to a different split, or change sets and reps?
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
Well you didn't waste time if you lost 16 lbs. Sounds like a successful cut. For some people (myself included) it takes a long time to gain enough muscle to look good when you're lean.

It's up to you. If you're comfortable with how lean you are and feel good, go on a slow bulk. If you want to cut a bit more, you seem to have it under control and can do that.

I would personally start bulking. Need to build something to show off next time you cut. The more muscle you have, the better you will look at the same body fat%.

Solid all around advice here. Reps to OP for what you've already achieved. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
stick with it OP, you got this
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdv92
Thank you very much for your advice.
I would start bulking but I fear that will ruin my goal to be at least lean for the summer.
And atm I would prefere to seem less muscular but have some form of abs.

Still, I don't know if I will be able to reach that goal in time for august.

If you say I won't do too much damage cutting for a little more (like until the end of July/August), I will try that way and then start slow-bulking from September.

One more thing:
My workout now involves almost the same thing I did for bulking, to keep my strength and weights in check.
I've just reduced calories and added some cardio once a week.
It's a 3x split (chest-back , shoulders-arms , legs ) that seemed to work for me.

Should I change to a different split, or change sets and reps?

I'd stick with the routine for now if it's working for you.

As far as diet goes, I don't think it will do any harm going a bit longer. You might also want to look into reverse dieting. When I do it, I tend to lose a little more weight while feeling fuller and leaner for a while. If you want to keep your cut going until August, you could possibly cut for a couple of weeks then start adding in 100cals/day per week through the rest of summer. You'd still be in a deficite and setting yourself up for your next bulk.
Post 9 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Pdv92 Still VERY young.. get back on that bulk train. U havent trained long enough to have dominant ab muscles most likely my man so stop worrying about it.
If ur going to continue ur cut now would be the right time to incorporate some HIIT once or twice a week into ur schedule..
If ur going to bulk i'd slowly add back in the cals and MOST LIKELY u will see further weight loss for the following few weeks until bulking cals are achieved.
Good work and good luck.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Okay guys, thank you very much!
So I'll do like this:
1. Stick to the cutting for some more weeks, stop worrying about the never-appearing abs (guess I'll have to train them better for the next bulk cycle :P).
Adding some HIIT in my schedule
2. From the half of July/August start adding some calories back
3. Slow bulk from august/september, aiming in gaining like... 2 lbs per month?

Did I get it right?
Thank you all again

I'll be back for some more advice!
Post 11 IP   flag post
340630 11 11
destitute