Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BenchShoulder InjurySplit Advice

painful bench16788

cbondy private msg quote post Address this user
why when i bench do i always get pain in the front of my shoulder?
my ant. deltoid always feels pumped compared to my left and i don't have a good connection with my right pec.
any ideas?
Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Retract your scapula. Guarantee it will fix your problem.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest doing band pull aparts because I feel like they help me. Also like @nine0seven said make sure you retract your scapula.
Post 3 IP   flag post
i swear i retract my scapula at least it feels like I'm trying to. i watched chris jones video on it and i try and do it but still get pain. its worse on barbell than dumbbell.
seems to happen everytime i try and go up weight i can only bench like 70kg forceps at 75kg BW
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
You could also be positioning your arms in a way that puts stess on your shoulders.

I like Chris Jones a lot, but he isn't necessarily the best source for form. He's pretty good, but he also admits he has tons of pains from lifting incorrectly.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Gianluca69 private msg quote post Address this user
chris jones also recommended that you should elevate your shoulders(shrug) before you do pressing movements, which is incorrect since that movement basically makes your shoulder girdle even more unstable.

Simply pull back your shoulders and bring them down. I always perform shoulder retractions to practice this movement before any pressing exercises.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Gianluca69 yes he says shrug them up but then back and down so as you get the feeling of the ROM.

i may work on some band pull apart see if that helps as i am slightly protracted.
does anyone ever feel like they don't have that mind muscle connection with their pec like i can't tense it very well or feel like I'm using that muscle during the exercise?
Post 7 IP   flag post
340630 7 7
destitute