Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Injury RecoveryLegsSplit Advice

Shin splints16751

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone know any ways to get rid of them? Since I been doing more cardio on the treadmill, I been getting bad shin splints on the side of my tibia, sometime it's painful where I can't run anymore.
Do you guys know if there is any excercises to relieve the pain, or is this caused by muscle imbalances?
Post 1 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Bad sneakers, or not correct sneaker for your footstrike and/or pronation.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Got them in high school, I was told just to rest until it went away. I didn't really, and it lingered longer than it should have.

It's caused by impact. Try other means of cardio like biking of elliptical.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Bad sneakers, or not correct sneaker for your footstrike and/or pronation.

I am using Nike free runs, specifically made for running. Hmmm, but I am not aware of shoes for different foot strike or pronations.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans
Got them in high school, I was told just to rest until it went away. I didn't really, and it lingered longer than it should have.

It's caused by impact. Try other means of cardio like biking of elliptical.

Do you think I am landing wrong when running, what I mean is instead of landing on the ball of my feet or toes, I land and lift off with Mainly my heels, which causes too much pressure?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
Make sure to ice the are after the activity. If its your tibia bone, then you should rest it for few weeks and then slowly add activity. It could also be tibialis posterior or solues muscle, make sure to strech them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritons
Make sure to ice the are after the activity. If its your tibia bone, then you should rest it for few weeks and then slowly add activity. It could also be tibialis posterior or solues muscle, make sure to strech them.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@forgottenpass Do you have a SportsAuthority or Dicks Sporting Good near you? They have this thing you stand on and it tells you about your foot stance/pronation. Then you can find sneakers specific to your needs.

If you haven't run in Free's before it might just take some getting used to.
Post 8 IP   flag post
ArsenalRm private msg quote post Address this user
First post good to be here!
just rest them and maybe use crosstrainer for a while or another cv machine. It's good to change your footwear every few months get a pair of asics next time, free runs just for fashion lol
Post 9 IP   flag post
@ArsenalRm Asics! My favorite and the only shoe that doesn't give me any problems.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Arimac44 private msg quote post Address this user
@forgottenpass Are you carrying more body weight than you normally do and have increased your cardio? I've had shin splints a couple of times and on both occasions I was around 100 - 105kg and had substantially increased my cardio (sprints, jogging). I had to back off the cardio and do some low impact stuff until my body weight got down to around 95kg. I also have relatively flat feet which could also be a contributing factor.
Post 11 IP   flag post
kozzletoff private msg quote post Address this user
Rest is really the only true relief for shin splints. You can try stretching before and adding a warm up before your cardio if you don't already
Post 12 IP   flag post
Fayzeh private msg quote post Address this user
I bet it's sneakers. If you're an avid runner sneakers make a huge difference. I like to alternate between Asics and Nike's because I don't like my body to get use to one type of running shoe. Ice it, gently massage, and relax. Take a day off and get back at it!
Post 13 IP   flag post
dserious111 private msg quote post Address this user
Any recommendations for forearm splints?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
@dserious111 If you know what i mean...

Post 15 IP   flag post
dserious111 private msg quote post Address this user
@Tritons lml
Post 16 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
what is forearm splint? dont you mean 'tennis elbow'?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayzeh
I bet it's sneakers. If you're an avid runner sneakers make a huge difference. I like to alternate between Asics and Nike's because I don't like my body to get use to one type of running shoe. Ice it, gently massage, and relax. Take a day off and get back at it!

These are the current shoes I have been running with. The shoe is almost flat from the bottom to the top, and since it doesn't have much of a raised heel mabey the impact is too much for the tibia but I will switch up shoes to see.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
I don't get shin splints but instead I get excruciating calf pumps. 20 minutes on the treadmill or walking across campus and my calves are so pumped, it's pretty painful.
Post 19 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
I had them bad when i played soccer in college. I got them early in the season and they lasted the whole season because i couldn't rest them. Our trainer put arch supports in my soccer cleats and also had me icing after every practice and game...it didn't get better until the end of the season when I took a few weeks off playing. That's my experience.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole
I had them bad when i played soccer in college. I got them early in the season and they lasted the whole season because i couldn't rest them. Our trainer put arch supports in my soccer cleats and also had me icing after every practice and game...it didn't get better until the end of the season when I took a few weeks off playing. That's my experience.

Yea me too, got them during wrestling season, but our coach just told us to quit bitching and just fucking run. It healed weeks after the season was over. But I can't rest weeks now, and resting couple days doesn't help either, it comes straight back once I start running. FML
Post 21 IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenpass
Quote:
Originally Posted by haole

Yea me too, got them during wrestling season, but our coach just told us to quit bitching and just fucking run. It healed weeks after the season was over. But I can't rest weeks now, and resting couple days doesn't help either, it comes straight back once I start running. FML

If you have a choice you should try using the exercise bike or maybe an elliptical instead of running on a treadmill. The impact of running is probably the hardest on your shins.
Post 22 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
I don't get shin splints but instead I get excruciating calf pumps. 20 minutes on the treadmill or walking across campus and my calves are so pumped, it's pretty painful.

Tren issues?
Post 23 IP   flag post
^^ hahahah

IDK if tren is known for calf or back pumps. I thought usually that is from a few types of orals.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
@LVjack haha not so much tren really, except maybe if I'm bulking hard. thay over-compensation/saturation of glycogen can definitely do it.

@wannabemuscular this is more it, taking orals in the morning on my way to classes haha. but it's worth looking pumped up and huge for class so I deal with it.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Devley private msg quote post Address this user
Taping your shins helps, compression socks and cold after. This is a great article on dealing with them and what exercises will help. For runners but idea is the same.
http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/the-ultimate-guide-to-shin-splints-for-runners/

I also attached a link to a cold compression wrap. worth a look into.
http://www.kingbrand.com/Leg-Ice-Packs-and-wraps.php?REF=34PV18
Post 26 IP   flag post
340609 26 26
destitute