Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Misc.NewbieSplit Advice

Finding a Dependable Workout Partner16732

Jameyson72 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 42 years old and have only really been hitting the weights for about 2 months now. I used to be pretty heavy into power lifting when I was a teen, but it has been many years since I lifted with any kind of regularity.

In any event, about 3 months ago, I went to the doctor and was told I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure and I was obese. I weighed 236 lbs and had about 36% body fat. I was having difficulty sleeping because my weight caused me to wake up all hours of the night gasping for air.

I decided it was time to get in shape, so I began eating healthier, walking and doing light calisthenics. My wife got me a gym membership and I immediately began taking advantage of it. I have made some great gains at the gym and am bench pressing 220 lbs comfortably, squatting close to 300 lbs, dead lifting 350 lbs, shoulder pressing 80 lb dumbbells, and curling with 60 lb dumbbells.

In just over 2 months, I dropped to 220 lbs and am at 19% body fat. I haven't had a high blood pressure reading in over a month and I no longer have difficulty sleeping.

I look good and feel great, but I want to start getting serious and that means heavier weight, forced reps and so on. Only problem, I don't have a workout partner and most of the yokels at my gym are either undependable, too self absorbed, not at all serious, or simply can't go when I'm there (due to my work schedule, I go every morning at 5 am).

Any thoughts on finding someone with the same schedule and aspirations as I to hit the gym with?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
I don't actually know of any routines that require you maxing out every week. You shouldn't really need to do forced reps, especially just a few months into lifting again. I'd just ask someone random to spot you if you actually need it. Until those times, I'd lift weights you are capable of lifting yourself with good form.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm not bodybuilding, per se; I'm power lifting and there are certain things I can't comfortably do on my own, like bench press with a bar; I've been using dumbbells because I'm doing 4-6 rep sets, but I'd like to be able to bench the bar without having to worry about accidentally exceeding my capabilities.
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@Jameyson72 Good for you on making the change for the better of your health. I'm 41 and a lot of the reason why I do what I do are the health aspects. I also had high BP, borderline cholesterol, was way overweight, and just felt like crap.

I have lifted on and off my whole life, but most seriously and consistently for like the past 5 years or so. I'm the strongest I've ever been at 41.

Anyway, don't wait for anyone. Do what you have to do and if it means by yourself, then so be it. It's only you out there anyway! I workout at home in a small home gym and it's fantastic. I have a full power rack that I squat and bench in so I'm safe.

Good luck and hopefully you'll stick around. There is a great group of guys here. Mostly younger, but that's part of the fun and gives me extra motivation.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Oh yeah, congrats on the progress so far, btw. Haha I thought it in my head, just didn't write it. And what @wannabemuscular said.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Arimac44 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameyson72
most of the yokels at my gym are either undependable, too self absorbed, not at all serious, or simply can't go when I'm there (due to my work schedule, I go every morning at 5 am).

Same reasons as why I always train alone, that and the fact I hate people talking shit to me while i train. If it's not relevant to the exercise/s I'm about to perform I don't want to hear it. I find it quite difficult trying to find a training partner that does not fuck me off. I think I have had 2 decent training partners in my entire time spent lifting. I kind of prefer to train alone now.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Appreciate the feedback. I'm certainly not going to quit just because I can't find a dependable workout partner. Making progress alone isn't hard, but it would just be nice to have a spot when I need it. But it's all good. Thanks again.
Post 7 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
If you're married you should get your wife in on the lifting and then you got a spotter and time together will strengthen your relationship. Unless you don't get along and you have life insurance and she lets the bar fall on your neck when maxing out, then you should get someone that doesn't benifit off your death.
Post 8 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@Jameyson72 you could post on Craig's List. There are a lot of power lifters out there in your same shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameyson72
most of the yokels at my gym are either undependable, too self absorbed, not at all serious, or simply can't go when I'm there (due to my work schedule, I go every morning at 5 am).

I think you just described every gym ever.

@Beans has a good suggestion though - just ask someone to spot you. Maybe there is an employee that can help? I find gym employees are pretty open to feedback about how you need to be spotted even if it's just the guy picking up weights and so on.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Jameyson72 Can always look for a local powerlifting club instead of a typical gym.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@LVjack It's difficult getting my wife to go to the gym and when she does, she only wants to do the treadmill and stair stepper.

When we first got the membership, she did work out with me a few times, but she is only able to life a fraction what I'm lifting and to be honest, it's a big hassle having to switch the weights each time it's my set.

@wannabemuscular I would definitely consider a power lifting gym, except there aren't any near where I live and finances are an issue as well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Arimac44 private msg quote post Address this user
@LVjack Don't know if I could have a female training partner. All that ass and titties up in my face would have me thinking of other things besides moving weight. lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
I find it hard to get a dependable workout partner between work & life. I prefer to lift a lone most days. Plus I'm not very good at going at set times. I just go whenever I feel like it, sometimes mornings sometimes 6pm or midnight.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@nine0seven It's really not that big of a deal working out alone I guess. Just feel I'd make better progress with a partner. I may take mikew's advice and try Craigslist.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Jameyson72 It's really only bench press you have to worry about. Just don't train to failure.

Btw, what were your numbers like in the past and what kind of goals to you have going forward?
Post 15 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@Jameyson72 It's really only bench press you have to worry about. Just don't train to failure.

Btw, what were your numbers like in the past and what kind of goals to you have going forward?

True. Besides bench I don't know what you need a spotter for.
Post 16 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
I wish my friends w/o as well so I can have a training partner to make sure I am doing everything safely, and for a lil motivation I guess! Its more fun than training alone. the next best thing is hiring good PT which is what i do 2x week.
Post 17 IP   flag post
340624 17 17
destitute