Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BroscienceLOLMisc.Split Advice

Broscience16726

Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight so leg raises dont work your abs?
Post 26 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@Zepa how could they? Your abs do not connect to your legs, so moving your legs isn't going to work the abdominals other than *maybe* a bit of static bracing. -3X
Post 27 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight makes sense. Loads of people in my gym doing them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
The last bit of the movement is a posterior pelvic tilt- that's what's working the abs, but you can do a PPT without moving your legs at all. -3X
Post 29 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
The last bit of the movement is a posterior pelvic tilt- that's what's working the abs, but you can do a PPT without moving your legs at all. -3X

This. I love doing hanging leg raises, but I try to touch my feet to my hands when I do them.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Adding to the list: leg raises work your lower abs; squats and deadlifts release extra growth hormone, so as long as you do them, you don't need to train arms directly; and, of course, the numerous carb-centered myths. -3X

Oh man, i sure do feel like a dumbass right now, captain's chair where i stop just above the hips has pretty much been my only dynamic "ab exercise" for the last 3 years, no wonder my abs are shit hahaha!
Well, i quess i can add this to my "the worst broscience you've believed" list lol!
Post 31 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
^^ It's a fine exercise as long as you tilt your hips at the end. It's just that the act of actually moving your legs isn't what's hitting the abs. -3X
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
^^ It's a fine exercise as long as you tilt your hips at the end. It's just that the act of actually moving your legs isn't what's hitting the abs. -3X

Yea, i haven't been able to tilt my hips because of my bad disc, or not much anyway.
When i use a greater ROM and tilt my hips i get a tingling feeling in my ass beause of the disc pushing against some nerve, this happens anytime i round my low back and in full rom leg raises the rounding is extreme.
I quess it's time to move on to some other exercise, hopefully incline push cruches won't aggrovate my disc since the low back remains on the bench.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Tritons private msg quote post Address this user
@Rawsteel You need to strengthen your "core" muscles, do things like planks or something.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritons
@Rawsteel You need to strengthen your "core" muscles, do things like planks or something.

Trust me, i've done a shitload of core work and Mckenzie extensions since it happened in december last year (planks, side planks, body saws and reverse hypers).
And since i want bigger abs a dynamic exercise is a must, and crunches where i don't go to high, as in the gif i linked, shouldn't aggrovate it.
Post 35 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
EK, half of those things i fell for aswell... The only reason i started squatting was because i wanted my back to get bigger. So i thought that growth hormone shit was real.

Also, i do knee ups? So knees bent 90* from the captain chair and rotate them til my torso and quads are 90*. Im assuming this is not sufficiently tilting my pelvis..
Post 36 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@SOLARSUPLEX I can't picture what you're describing, but in general, if a muscle is not involved in moving a bone, it's not going to be worked dynamically. -3X
Post 37 IP   flag post
Fayzeh private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight I use to buy casein powder for before bed because it's slow releasing. Now I don't and haven't seen any difference between a pure casein shake and a blend. Also are you sure about leg raises? I swear they have helped my abs. A long time ago I watched a video with Greg Plitt who said to only do them if you raise your legs head height. That 90 degree angle is pointless.
Post 38 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Ah, ok I see what you're saying about the casein. Yes, +1 for a whey/casein blend.

I'm 100% sure about the abs discussion. When you contract your abs, you are not going to move your legs, because your abs do not attach at your femurs. That should make sense to even the average Joe who has no knowledge of human anatomy, let alone someone with your background.

Re. Greg, this thread could have been named, "incorrect things Greg Plitt says," and the content would not have changed. -3X
Post 39 IP   flag post
@eknight

This is what i was talking about. Although in the image he brings is knees up higher than i do. I bring them up to 90* bend in the hips and then go back down.

Post 40 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yeah....no...

This is the movement you want to shoot for:

-3X
Post 41 IP   flag post
HAHHHHHH. Well thats great. Glad you just told me that.. I wont waste more time doing it wrong now.

Would you recommend doing it hung as int he photo you posted vs in the captain chair like the photo i posted?
Post 42 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Either one is good to start with. If you are able to do them hanging, they're more effective because it takes more core stability to prevent swinging or swaying. -3X
Post 43 IP   flag post
Perfect. Thanks for the help as always.
Post 44 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
I thought Creatine is not a steroid.
Its a steroid man!. It will make you alpha as f@$k. All people here are not natural because of creatine.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Colossus private msg quote post Address this user
Cardio every day is my sin...
Post 46 IP   flag post
340768 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?
destitute