Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingCompetitive BodybuildingPower LiftingSplit AdviceTraining Programs

*Eric Helms Strikes AGAIN !! (Video)*16679

The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps they're the standing variety- the kind that allow co-contraction of the hamstrings. -3X
Post 26 IP   flag post
ajm87 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
That upper scheme seems unbalanced from a standpoint of shoulder health. Eric is a knowledgeable guy. Would love to get in touch with him and ask his reasoning on this. -3X

I noticed that too. The only thing I can think of is that he said it is just an example that he threw together. Maybe he was just trying to show how a program would look hitting all of the muscle groups with his prescribed sets/reps/frequency.

Kind of strange that there is no rear delt work like face pulls in there and a pretty strong lack of rowing outside of 7 total sets.
Post 27 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
well i think most people would be thinking 'sitting down machine type' when they see leg extension. not the standing one you recommends?

But another question @eknight would you say the standing hamstring curl is better than the lie down curl? we have machines for each at our gym.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm87
The only thing I can think of is that he said it is just an example that he threw together. Maybe he was just trying to show how a program would look hitting all of the muscle groups with his prescribed sets/reps/frequency.

I think this is true!!
He was just using the 'program' as an example.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@qtdreams92 depends on the type of prone machine. If it's the kind that has a slight bend, like this:

then the prone one is a better choice, because starting in slight hip flexion allows for a greater stretch and contraction. Likewise, if you have a seated leg curl, that's your best option, because of the greater hip flexion at the starting position. -3X
Post 30 IP   flag post

FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user

Rest periods are up guys.. Good vid in fairness.
Post 31 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌😛
Post 32 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi this is great! watching this now

@eknight thanks i think the hip angle makes a huge difference to the way hamstrings feel in the exercise. The other tip i learned is to keep the feet relaxed.

if the seated leg curl is the best (we have one of those as well haha, just checked), i don't have to worry about the problems with closed & open chain system you mentioned in the leg extension exercise??

i get its 2 different exercises but i thought the closed & open chain rule applied to all movements generally.
Post 33 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
The reason that the leg extensions are so brutal isn't because they're open chain (although I do agree that closed chain movements are generally better, which is why glute-ham raises are my pick ahead of any kind of curl). The reason extensions suck is because they completely remove the hamstrings from the movement and without them co-contracting, you're basically yanking on the ACL by pulling the tibia forward with nothing keeping it where it's supposed to be except that ligament. With a standing band terminal knee extension, the hams co-contract so there's stability in the tibiofemoral joint. -3X
Post 34 IP   flag post
@eknight TKE's are the shit i've been telling people this for yrs.
They really aid my knee health and i have knee's like Biscuits !!
Also i hurt myself doing HEAVY leg extensions while using PHAT as prescribed and fucked my knee up something AWFUL, however i did like Leg extensions but NEVER below 12-15reps minimum just for warming up and warming down my knee joint... NOT for progressive overload of any kind.

@qtdreams92 Seated leg curls are a great way to hit all 4 heads of hammies.. also if ur doing lying leg curls be sure to squeeze ur glutes PRIOR to contraction most people let their hips rise and therefore can use more weight and it becomes a diff movement.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi youve convinced me, i will do seated leg curls tomorrow in LEG day haha.
@eknight

I am actually doing heaps of lunges, i feel they work my quads really good.

what band do you like using for TKE? is green OK.
Post 36 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Whatever allows you to reach failure at your desired rep range is fine. -3X
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Whatever allows you to reach failure at your desired rep range is fine. -3X

This.
I use the 45mm if i'm doing it for lower reps like 10-15.. but i'll use the 30mm for just getting blood into the area and recovery purposes after squats.
Post 38 IP   flag post

All about that Tempo !!
Cover TUT and eccentric training in this also.
Post 39 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
No means to hijack this thread but I have a question about warm up exercise.

My left shoulder rotator cuff always cracks and it sort of hurts depending on how I rotate my arm... There is always a cracking sound. I found this program from the Diesel crew called shoulder rehab and if I do this regularly on upper body days how does this help? Does it strengthen the shoulder?

I'm dropping barbell benching for a bit once I get to a gym because I think my form screwed my shoulders up.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@TimmothyGen Complete hijack haha... would suggest starting a new thread for this.
Post 41 IP   flag post
ajm87 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm on Week 4 (deload) of the hypertrophy split that he recommended in the third video.

It has been really fun so far. I added in face pulls on both Upper days as well.
Post 42 IP   flag post
340752 42 17
destitute