Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
my favorite warm up exercise. Since I do it so often I started experimenting with it and curiously, the other day I noticed if I place my arms forward (instead of right under my shoulders,) it loads my abs more than my triceps -- which I personally like better.

Has anyone experimented with this before?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Zepa private msg quote post Address this user
I hate planks
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Google body saws. Add a Swiss ball. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
GoldenAesthetics private msg quote post Address this user
a swiss ball in the front or on the feet?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAesthetics
body saws
I would assume to the front, use a lot more core to stabilize that way

also, I found this:
Post 5 IP   flag post
GoldenAesthetics private msg quote post Address this user
thanks, ill give it a try
Post 6 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes! i will be adding body saw to my training. Planks get boring sometimes, like I can listen to a whole song planking before i feel like doing something else.
Those pads the guy is using in the video are awesome, i like to those to my list of toys haha.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
so...a safer abwheel?
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@qtdreams92 I'd like to see this; it's impressive. My personal expericnce working with even well-conditioned athletes is if you can hold a 3-4 minute plank, you're not doing it correctly or you're pretty advanced. Hips too high, arms not extended, something. If you're able to hold a plank correctly for more than 2 minutes as a female, you're in the elite class of athletes. Do you watch your form in a mirror?

You can always make planks harder by raising an arm or leg, using a Swiss ball, or alternatively touching your shoulder with your contralateral hand. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
@eknight ha I would love to be in the elite class due to planks lol but yea i guess my form isn't pretty or the best. All i do is not let my belly touch the floor and listening to my ipod. its the 'pretend there is a spike underneath you' cue lol.
actually the swiss ball will bring whole new twist to the planking so I want to give that a try!
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight

It's been my experience that most people think they're doing the top picture when they plank. If they get a video done, they find that they're actually doing some variation of the bottom right.

A Swiss ball is a good progression, but pointless if you're not doing them properly to start with. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
@qtdreams92 What I usually do to not get bored (although all I can think about during the exercise is "how many seconds left?@?%!!" is shift every thirty seconds to a different variation.

So I'll do 3 minute plank:
30 secs regular on the elbows
30 secs on arms straightened out
30 secs on elbows but right foot elevated
30 secs " left foot elevated

Makes the static exercise a bit more dynamic
Post 12 IP   flag post
Fayzeh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberthis
@qtdreams92 What I usually do to not get bored (although all I can think about during the exercise is "how many seconds left?@?%!!" is shift every thirty seconds to a different variation.

So I'll do 3 minute plank:

30 secs on elbows but right foot elevated
30 secs " left foot elevated

Makes the static exercise a bit more dynamic

I'm going to try this. Thanks @rememberthis!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@rememberthis that is fantastic ideas. so add a swissee ball, and use the mirror to make sure my form is strict. and rave music on my ipod to make 30sec feel like 3 sec. cheers
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtdreams92
@rememberthis that is fantastic ideas. so add a swissee ball, and use the mirror to make sure my form is strict. and rave music on my ipod to make 30sec feel like 3 sec. cheers
haha, while on this note... I'll just add that French Electro (Gessafelstein!) is a great choice of music
Post 15 IP   flag post
340614 15 15
destitute