Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Knee PainLegsSplit AdviceSquats

Adding mass to quads, with a weak knee?16635

Snoogal private msg quote post Address this user
I had an op on my knee 6 ish years ago. Arthroscopy. They removed 15% of my cartalidge. It stopped it hurting but made it weak. Ever since, I'm too aware of it.
It occassionally gives way when under stress, which prevents me from squatting heavy.
Genetically, I have skinny legs and arms. I've had to put a lot of effort in to building my arms by using heavy weight to failure etc. I can't do this with my legs so I was wondering if any of you lot had any ideas?
Would be appreciated if you could fire a few pointers my way.

Cheers
Post 1 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Suck it up and fukin squats
Post 2 IP   flag post
Snoogal private msg quote post Address this user
Tried that. Doesn't feel right. Always concerned it will go at any time..........
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
You don't need "heavy" weights to build muscle.
The guy (natural) i know who has the biggest legs actually NEVER lifts heavy because of a shitty knee and a bad back.
He uses a pre-exhaust technique, i don't know exactly how his routine looks but i think it's something like this ->

Leg press: 2x15-20 with 15s rest between sets
Front squat: 3x8-10
Bulgarian split squat: 2x10-12
Seated ham curl: 2x15-20 with 15s rest between sets
Romanian deadlift: 3x8-10
Seated ham curl: 2x10-12

He hits everything every 4th day and takes pretty much every set to 1-2 reps shy of concentric failure, something you have to do when using lighter loads to stimulate the fast-twitch muscle fibers.
I'm personally going to try this for my legs when i'm done cutting, i'm sick of my aching knee and a mild ham tear that constantly comes back when using heavy loads.
Here's a recent study about using light loads for hypertrophy btw.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I squatted up to 375 for a single and 315 for sets of 8 with a torn ACL and MCL. Get a good brace, suck it up, and squat. Doesn't have to be heavy, but no leg workout is complete without squats. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
but no leg workout is complete without squats. -3X

Agreed, this is what i have felt since december when i herniated my disc.
Sure, my legs gets their stimulus through leg pressing and bulgarian split squats but there's always that feeling that something is missing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
My legs look better than most peoples who squat heavy and I generally just do high volume and mix things up. People who are stuck on the you have to do heavy deads, squats, and bench are tards
Post 7 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
This comment was directed toward anyone in particular also js. I think pre exhausting like rawsteel said is pretty solid
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^ I agree that you don't necessarily have to go heavy, but you still have to include those movements. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
@csizemore21 ive preexhausted so hard before, by the end of my workout i couldnt even squat the bar....i probably looked like an idiot in the gym
Post 10 IP   flag post
340762 10 10
destitute