Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
HypertrophyMotivationSplit Advice

Gainz when not everything is 100%?16634

qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
I am just wondering if gainz are affected very much by problems and stress you have from day to day? Or do muscles only grow in ideal conditions? By ideal conditions I mean train, eat, sleep, repeat.

Because training when you are not feeling right (or sick), after a party, have less sleep than usual, arguments with bff etc.. I am sure this affects recovery and we all know recovery is where the gainz at.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
There is no such thing as perfect. You're obsessing over details again. This is the best piece of advice I've ever read. It's from Stan Efferding:

"Train heavy, eat and sleep. Repeat.

What is heavy? Don’t over complicate the answer. If it's too easy, add more weight. Repeat.

How much is enough food? If you’re not gaining muscle, eat more. Repeat.

Don’t chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet that’s going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more."

You seem like you're quite serious about improving your fitness level, but like some beginners, I get the sense that you chase the 1% far more than you should. Just my observation. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtdreams92
I am just wondering if gainz are affected very much by problems and stress you have from day to day? Or do muscles only grow in ideal conditions? By ideal conditions I mean train, eat, sleep, repeat.

Because training when you are not feeling right (or sick), after a party, have less sleep than usual, arguments with bff etc.. I am sure this affects recovery and we all know recovery is where the gainz at.

Well, stressing isn't good and if you're stressed alot it will impact your training since your body releases cortisol in times of stress.
And partying (drinking alcohol) and not sleeping also has a bad impact on your training, especially alcohol.
And no, the conditions doesn't have to be "ideal" to achieve hypertrophy.
Post 3 IP   flag post
thanks @qtdreams92 and @Rawsteel all those things like what is mentioned will affect training and recovery obviously, I was just not sure if it affects the gainz by a huge amount. If it was 1% then who cares but if it was more like 50% of gainz then I think I need to worry about it.

I like Rich Froning and I remember he advised in an interview that the body will make build muscle (gainz)only after all the other important things things are taken care of. like removing toxins, repairing damage, when you are calm and no stress, and so forth.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
That's not entirely correct. It's not an either/or relationship. Your body is constantly working to achieve homeostasis throughout its various systems and organs. While stress may play a small role in recovery, from a physiologic standpoint it's minimal. Working out is rather insignificant stress compared to, say, recovering from a total knee or hip replacement. The tissues and muscles involved there recover, despite all of the stressors you mentioned and additional surgery recovery. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Rich Fronings a crossfitter LOL
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
thanks @qtdreams92 and @Rawsteel all those things like what is mentioned will affect training and recovery obviously, I was just not sure if it affects the gainz by a huge amount. If it was 1% then who cares but if it was more like 50% of gainz then I think I need to worry about it.

I like Rich Froning and I remember he advised in an interview that the body will make build muscle (gainz)only after all the other important things things are taken care of. like removing toxins, repairing damage, when you are calm and no stress, and so forth.

One of the stupidest things I've ever heard.What about every jacked athlete that has come from a broken home, gang land, or extreme poverty? What about every young college student that is constantly stressed over school and work? There are tons of guys on here that always work through minor chronic pains. Total horse shit.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@eknight OK I think I get it. So in summary minimum diff. It is possible to train, eat, have fun, sleep, repeat for gainz.

@nine0seven well as long as he keeps looking amazing like that, it is not dealbreaker
Post 8 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
@qtdreams92 Rich Fronning is a bad ass. Crossfit or not that guy has great lifts and is athletic as can be. On a side note he is my second cousin, little resemblance there right lol.
Post 9 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@eknight OK I think I get it. So in summary minimum diff. It is possible to train, eat, have fun, sleep, repeat for gainz.

@nine0seven well as long as he keeps looking amazing like that, it is not dealbreaker

My point was that he has no credentials so taking advice from him isn't the brightest idea. Taking advice from any crossfitter isn't a bright idea. Now if Dr Norton said something like that, I'd believe it. But let's see his sources for his claims
Post 10 IP   flag post
A_em private msg quote post Address this user
From my experience I can say that stressful life and lack of sleep don't stop my body from changing. I see great difference since I've joined the gym. Sure- the results could be much better if I were less stressed and slept better, who knows. (They would be better if I tracked my macros and kcals, but I am not doing it because of striving for perfect body).

On the other hand training is a tool to get rid of stress. Alcohol is bad for sure. Feel so much better since I stopped drinking even occasionally.
Post 11 IP   flag post
340738 11 11
destitute