Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CardioFemale FitnessNewbieSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Ice Cream Fitness and Rest Days16612

amberxnicole private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone! I'm new here and after going through the FAQ, I think the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 is going to be the best for me right now.

My question is regarding the rest days. It splits the program into A-rest-B-rest-A-rest-rest, or vice versa depending on the week, but I also play a competitive sport and generally have practice/sport-specific training on Monday and Wednesday. So, I'm wondering which of the two following options might be best, if any, or if it's just based on how I feel.

M - practice (2 hours)
T - A
W - practice (4 hours)
T - B
F - rest
S - A
S - rest

or

M - practice (2 hours)
T - A
W - practice (4 hours)
T - rest
F - B
S - A
S - rest

Also, can I add in some supplemental cardio in there somewhere? Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Generally with a 5x5 program, the idea is to never go back to back days simply because it's more about lifting weight than hitting more frequency. It's probably up to you what is more taxing, a 4 hour practice or a lifting session. I'd just pick whichever will throw off your progression the least.
Post 2 IP   flag post
That's a good point. The lifting will probably be more taxing on my body, at least in the beginning, so that helps to think about.

I also edited the original post to ask if there is any supplemental cardio that I can add in there, but you may have responded prior to me posting that. Any advice?

Thank you so much!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
An advice, add some hamstring work to the program since there's not a single set of knee flexion in it (leg curl) and only 1 set of deads.
Why? Read this.
Some more core work wouldn't hurt either, a few sets of planks or ab rollouts is done in ~5 min.
And as Beans said, don't do 2 full body workouts back to back.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Rawsteel Noted! I will definitely throw in some knee flexion and additional core work. Thanks!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberxnicole
That's a good point. The lifting will probably be more taxing on my body, at least in the beginning, so that helps to think about.

I also edited the original post to ask if there is any supplemental cardio that I can add in there, but you may have responded prior to me posting that. Any advice?

Thank you so much!

You can add cardio whenever you want. In the long run it will mean you need to eat more, so it all depends on your goals.
Post 6 IP   flag post
robinxchrom private msg quote post Address this user
i think ice cream's fitness's program is pretty crap.

have a look at all the newbie routines and follow the one you feel you will enjoy the most and make sure you're eating loads.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ambitiongainer private msg quote post Address this user
@robinxchrom bro do you even know her goals, you cant be judging off your gut feeling but better to ask her what her goal is and her daily schedule, instead of telling her to eat loads and that ice cream fitness is crab...

@amberxnicole welcome to SS!!! hope you have a wonderful, fun and educational time here
Post 8 IP   flag post
My thought behind doing 5x5 is that I feel like it's something I can stick to for at least a few months, just to get my body going again. I am also motivated by it being a 3-day program so I can do it alongside my two practice days. And, it's actually one of the recommended newbie workouts on the FAQ.

My goal is to lose fat. I'm at my highest body fat ever, about 35%, and I need to break that down. I've ran my macros using different calculators and sites and all of them end up around 2000kcal (after deficit), so I think I'll be fueling my body enough to complement the program. I am going to run the 50/30/20 macro split and then, after some consistency, I will recalculate my macros/split if necessary.

@ambitiongainer thank you!!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@amberxnicole If your goal is to lose fat, I would personally recommend not doing too much cardio to begin with. It's a great tool to add when your weight stalls.

I've been cutting for a couple of months, and I still only play sports 2 days a week. I'd rather add cardio later than drop calories more.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Beans Thanks!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@amberxnicole your welcome, listen to what beans said, dont add alot of cardio right now, use cardio as a tool when you reach a plaque and want to overcome it, it helps trust me
Post 12 IP   flag post
@amberxnicole consistency, dedication and determination, if anyone can do it then you can too, dont give up and push yourself as hard as you can

your dreams come true when you work for it, we are here to help as much as we can ok, so make a log and post your workouts, post what you eat in our take a pic of what you eat thread and also take progress pics ok, best of luck to you hun
Post 13 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
@amberxnicole hey welcome! you're starting out with heaps of good knowledge so is just a matter of putting into practice. And once you start seeing the results which will certainly come, you will feel like you want to progress even more!
Take that from someone who has been through it, it is well worth the effort thats for sure. and NEVER be too hard on yourself, because we are our worst enemies sometimes.
Post 14 IP   flag post
340630 14 14
destitute