Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

Help on choosing a training program16596

Colossus private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

Following the decision of changing my current status quo in regards to diet and training, it is now time to choose and designed lifting program as you guys have encouraged me to.

On the last twenty five or so years, my training has been pretty much the "instinctive" type (there are reasons for this, I will come open a thread to discuss this one of these days).

I've started looking at options and found that there are quite a lot out there, now as an old "dunkey", mostly I see it as a trend. I know however, that things evolve. In this industry thing are evolving based on sciense, therefore improving, hence I have decided to follow your advise and at least try it.

I need now to choose the program that fits me better. Hence coming here again to ask for your opinion and help.

My current situation;
Lifting Experience: lifting for over 25 years
Limitation 1: I have back issues due to running and lifting poor form, can't much squatting anymore
Limitation 2: Shoulder issues, I'm quite strong in almost any movement, however my bench press is poor nowadays (120kg) as compared to twenties/thirties(170kg).
Limitation 3: The gym I go to, is very basic, it mainly has dumbells and barbells, not much machinery.

Objectives from lifting:
1. Good health
2. Stress control
3. Good physique with muscles and no belly
4. I'm still pretty muscular (I'll post some pics, after 5 weeks from now)

p.s.: I will not lie, on my 20s/30s, all I wanted was a big muscles, I think age is catching up with me, hence the changes...

I've been looking for different programms, mainly to PHAT, PPL and a couple others, but need to decide on which I should follow on the next 3 months.

Based on the above, what would you guys suggest?

Thank you in advance
Colossus

Encouraged by all of your comments, I have now decided
Post 1 IP   flag post
No one has 50 cents to share on this thread?
Post 2 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
@Colossus well you have lifted longer than I have been around lol so for what it is worth I suggest PPL. Because that is what I am doing lol. Your first exercise should meet your 'objectives'. your second exercise should assist your first movement and work on your weaknesses! In the end you have to enjoy the program you decide to go with otherwise it will be very hard to stick to even for 3 months.
The site http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout1LPP.html has a good list of exercises if you need some suggestions.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks @qtdreams92
Post 4 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus
Objectives from lifting:
1. Good health
2. Stress control
3. Good physique with muscles and no belly
4. I'm still pretty muscular (I'll post some pics, after 5 weeks from now)

You've been lifting for a long time so you probably know your body well. I would pick a program designed by a professional or design a fun split that's within your limitations. It is possible that an experience coach or training buddy could make things more interesting or show you some new tricks.

I believe the best way to accomplish your goals is to focus on your diet --- track calories, macros, etc. I find that cutting/dieting is stressful so that conflicts with the "stress control" goal but a successful cut over 12-16 weeks would put you in a good position.

I would also look into physical therapy for some of your injuries. Successful treatment could make a huge difference in your overall health. It's very difficult to enjoy the gym when dealing with long term injuries.
Post 5 IP   flag post
340738 5 5
destitute