Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsSplit Advice

Need some help/advice for deads...16566

Thatguy81 private msg quote post Address this user
So I've kinda narrowed down where my weakness is I think, it's getting the weight off the ground. I can pull 275lbs standard dead and 315lbs from a rack right below knee high, I seem to struggle from the ground to knee high, then I dont really have a problem from there, so this means my legs are lagging right? To help this I should do deficit deas, right?
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Thatguy81 Could tell u more if u record it !! Most likely it'll be ur setup.. But Ye some people are stronger from below the knee then off the ground. Just the way it works.
Post 2 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Deficits will help and work on unilateral leg training to bring up strength and size of quads and glutes. Doing a lot of lunges the past few months have helped myself a lot.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi I used to record all my deads, you've seen every one. I'm new at this gym, I can't bring myself to break out the camera.

@_RudeCrew I'll start lunges, haven't done them for a long time...
Post 4 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
^and start deficit deadlifts
Post 5 IP   flag post
Well did some deficit deads today, they sucked!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Arimac44 private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text seen this article, thought it may help
Post 7 IP   flag post
Rand private msg quote post Address this user
paused deadlifts will help you remember to stay "tight" through the whole lift. Also try some reverse deadlifts, where you deadlift normally but then try to lower the weight the exact same way you brought it up just in reverse. This will help you think through the movement and again help with queing tightness in your back and glutes.

gotta record them bro no shame in setting up a camera phone on a box.
Post 8 IP   flag post
This is the last vid I took of my deads, it was a little over a year ago the first time I got 325. Take a look and tell me what you think, my form is the same.

@Rand exactly what is a paused deadlift?

http://youtu.be/Kh4-GrZQfNs
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Thatguy81

here is candito doing them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Ok here is what I see.

First with the deadlift set up you have 3 goals.
1. Hips lower than shoulders.
2. Back in a neutral(flat) position. This includes your neck.
3. Tightness, and air. (You want tight lats, upper back, glutes, huuge breath of air into your belly, not your chest, and then bear down, almost like you are going to crap.)

then before you pull, take all the slack out of your arms without raising your hip. Then go. In the beginning think of almost doing a leg press against the floor just to make sure your legs are involved in the lift.

You start in a rounded back position, which gives you power off the ground but makes lock out much harder.
Your hips are basically level with your shoulders this is not a powerful starting position.
I cannot see a big breath
yanking on the bar can help some people syche themselves up but you should be more focused on leveraging yourself down into a better position, big belly breath then bear down and pull.

hope that helps.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WinnersNeverQuit private msg quote post Address this user
Haven't watched the video but best thing for me off the floor was dead lifts to the knee. 2X2-5 reps after normal deads with a heavy weight. Pull it to just above the knee, pause, and control the return to the floor.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks for the info guys! @Rand I've never even heard of paused deads before, but I'll try them and see how they feel! @WinnersNeverQuit I'll try that also, I have s goal and all the advice helps!
Post 13 IP   flag post
340617 13 13
destitute