Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split Advice

are there any pro that use upper/lower routi16553

xephedrinee private msg quote post Address this user
Are there any pro bodybuilders that add in upper/lower routines to switch it up once in awhile?
Im training to get as big as possible, and wanting to start an upper/lower body routine to try something new so i can train each body part twice a week. I know some bodybuilders train each body part 2x a week such as Ronnie Coleman. Is an upper/lower body routine good for a bodybuilder or should i look for something else for size?

thinking about trying brandon cambells PHUL (power Hypertrophy upper lower) routine for 12 weeks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
Don't look at what pro bodybuilders report as their "current" routine, look at what they did to get to that point.

For example; if I was an aspiring mma fighter I would start with a good base and learn the basics of wrestling and standup before learning bjj heel hooks and spinning back kicks. Same with with bodybuilding, start with learning the proper compound lifts and focus on gaining strength. Once you have a good base you can add in more additional work in.

I personally run a 3 day split and hit everything twice a week and studies have shown working a muscle group every 72 hours is optimal.

The actual program you decide to run will make a minimal difference at this point. Pick something a something and stick to it for a while. What will make a difference is nutrition. Learn how to feed your body properly and Everything else will fall in place.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Sharkoon1 private msg quote post Address this user
Phul is a good place to start. You have every lift 2 times a week and also 72 hours in between, but I would change the routine a bit. It got some imbalances in it. Would also consider Phat if I were you. Feel like it is a bit better for bodybuilding, because you can focus more on your body part if you have more energy on each days.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Fayzeh private msg quote post Address this user
I'm also thinking about training each body part twice a week to see progress. I usually don't like to workout a body part that is sore. Is it ok to do so?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks for replies, yeah i have my proper nutrition in place, 245 14% bodyfat at 6'1, eating 350g of protein a day, benching 350, deadlifting 620. I'm not really new to this, i'm looking for an intermediate type routine,not a beginner. PHUL looked perfect for me because i'm looking to gain size but also strength as well while working ea muscle group twice a week.

Shark, would you say this routine is also good for someone who has been lifting for years as well? What of changes would you make?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Sharkoon1 private msg quote post Address this user
@xephedrinee Yes, the routine is designed for advanced athletes.

EDIT:: Do you talk about phat or phul now ? Confused. Anyways both routines fit you well, just that phat got a bit more volume and splits up shoulders and back

I would add on Phul a rear deltoid move, like Facepulls or something each upper day and would add a few more sets on hamstrings for better quad to hamstring ratio.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I was talking about Phul. thanks man for help!
I'm also "assisted" (started 2 months ago) with a pretty fast recovery.

I'll check into PHAT as well. thx again
Post 7 IP   flag post
Bucky private msg quote post Address this user
@xephedrinee being in gear makes a pretty huge difference in how you can train haha. try phul and see how you like it, I've ran phat before and loved it also. run what works best for you and how you like to train.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@Fayzeh Soreness will go away once you get used to the frequency. It isn't caused by overworking a muscle, it's actually worse when you work out less often.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340762 9 9
destitute