Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
AbsLegsSplit Advice

Spoonfeed me Calf/Ab knowledge Real quick16514

Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
Is it study based science or broscience that if you wanted to you can train either of those muscles daily without "overtraining" them. I really dont want to use the googs right meow.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Rand private msg quote post Address this user
I say true.

I train my back 5 days a week. feels great!
Post 2 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
Whats the point though?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Rand private msg quote post Address this user
stronger back is my purpose. a bearded man told me to do it so, I am. A beard never lies.
Post 4 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
I think calves would be really hard to over train? Its one of the muscles that you use all the time, and they respond the best to higher volume exercises, just like in real life situations of walking, jumping.. any athletic movement really.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
All muscles respond to the same theories of physiology. Of course you can overtrain them. Soft tissue repair and increased MPS are elevated for ~72 hours post training. Further, the abs and gastric a have nearly the same fast twitch ratio as the muscles of the quads and glute max, but no one suggests squatting daily. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
but no one suggests squatting daily

Not to pick a fight, but programs like stronglifts have squatting every workout. Granted there is a day of rest between each session. Then programs like smolov where you are squatting ALLLLLL the time.

I've also seen people squatting multiple days in a row working up to a meet (layne).
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I see your point. For your consideration I offer:

3 or 4 days a week isn't 5 days a week, though, true?

Having run the mesocycle of Smolov, I can't imagine doing all 13 weeks without injury. It's brutal. And it's not a program that can be done indefinitely. As I recall it's a peaking program to be used with discretion. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
and increased MPS are elevated for ~72 hours post training.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the MPS elevated for that long only in beginners?
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Unless the current research has changed, Nope. That's why training a muscle every 3 days is optimal. -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
General conclusions
• 297 Angus-sired steers and 284 Hereford-sired steers were included in the final analysis.
• Preweaning performance had a slight but consistent advantage for Hereford-sired calves (approximately 10 lb. and $12 per head).
• Backgrounding performance had a slight but consistent advantage for Hereford-sired calves (approximately 10 lb. and $12 per head).
• Average daily gain (ADG) in the feedlot favored the Hereford-sired calves in two of the three years, and there was a very slight overall advantage to the Hereford-sired calves.
• Feed conversion (as fed and dry matter) had a consistent and marked advantage for Hereford- sired calves in comparison to the predominantly straightbred Angus.
• Cost of gain had a consistent and marked advantage for Hereford-sired calves in comparison to the predominantly straightbred Angus.
• Morbidity was close to equivalent for both breed groups with lower morbidity for the Hereford- sired calves in two of the three years.
• Quality grade consistently favored the Angus group for all three years.
• There were essentially no differences in carcass weight or yield of both sire groups.
• There were essentially no differences in percentage yield grades 4 or 5 between the sire groups. Hereford-sired calves had more yield grade 4/5 in year one and Angus-sired calves had more yield grade 4/5 in years two and three.
• Economic performance favored Hereford-sired calves in the feedlot in two of the three years, with an average return of approximately $30 per head.
• Carcass performance favored the Angus-sired calves in all three years, with an average return of $15.60 per head.
• Overall net return for the Hereford-sired calves was approximately $30 per head in a vertically coordinated beef marketing system, this does not include the maternal advantages of the baldie female.
• Pregnancy rates for Hereford-sired females (black baldies) averaged 7% higher than those of the Angus-sired heifers.

Oh shit. Wrong kind of calf. My bad.
Post 11 IP   flag post
macydawn private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight I have ran the entire program for 13 weeks, and so have 5 other people in my gym... the rest didn't make it. No injuries for the 6 of us.
Post 12 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
The question is why would you train it everyday?.
I think you should not worry about overtraining instead under recovery.
Post 13 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@NorIda Hahahaha Brilliant !! I was like what the fuck ?... haha.

@Kansas___Boyyyyy Work calves for standing and seated positions... try high reps and low reps. extend up onto the the big toe for max contraction.

Abs.. ab wheels, weighted decline crunch and weight planks... Done.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
Si thats pretty much exactly what i mapped out haha
Post 15 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Kansas___Boyyyyy Good stuff buddy.
Post 16 IP   flag post
340735 16 16
destitute