Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Snowboard901 private msg quote post Address this user
Is there any need for it? Would I be better off hitting flat bench more for size?
Post 1 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
Can you do dips instead? I think they are better.. Especially if you can do weighted ones.
Not to mention it looks totally badass
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard901
Is there any need for it?


No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard901
Would I be better off hitting flat bench more for size?


Yes.

PS: in b4 "upper chest"
Post 3 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
I hit incline most of the time due to flat being a shoulder molestor. Really comes down to what you feel like you ll progress the furthest and safest on.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Snowboard901 private msg quote post Address this user
@mikew haha I knew posting this was could turn into a huge argument so I hope it doesn't. I plan on doing 5x5 on my first upper day then would you recommend 3x8 on my second after I hit OHP FOR 5x5?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
a lot of people here dont do incline....i think its dumb as shit if you dont do incline but whatever....it shows though because all these flat bench fanatics probably have underdeveloped shoulders and dont have that separation between their "upper" chest and shoulders.....cant wait to get raped for this comment...but its true
Post 6 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
@Zyzzst You've talked a lot of shit today for not having any pics up of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csizemore21
I hit incline most of the time due to flat being a shoulder molestor. Really comes down to what you feel like you ll progress the furthest and safest on.


This is 100% accurate.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user



Uh oh @Perfidy
Post 8 IP   flag post
TimmothyGen private msg quote post Address this user
Decline is king.
Post 9 IP   flag post
darklight79 private msg quote post Address this user
Don't mind the tiny Asian. Subscribed to thread for future drama the moment I saw incline bench.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzst
a lot of people here dont do incline....i think its dumb as shit if you dont do incline but whatever....it shows though because all these flat bench fanatics probably have underdeveloped shoulders and dont have that separation between their "upper" chest and shoulders.....cant wait to get raped for this comment...but its true


No it isn't. See my profile pics. That separation comes down to individual genetics and how lean you are. Or have a peek:




#teamnoincline

Quote:
Originally Posted by csizemore21
I hit incline most of the time due to flat being a shoulder molestor.


Curious what makes you say this? I haven't read any literature suggesting one is inherently safer or creates less GH instability than the other when performed correctly. The literature actually suggests that for people with previous GH instability, inclines create a greater risk of shoulder dislocation when racking/unracking. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight You always bring up literature, but Its pretty easy to find studies for and against both. Really just depends on how and where you search it. I am pretty sure you brought up having to take nsaids for shoulder pain in my slingshot post? And most strength coaches have been advocating 15 degree incline over flat recently due to excessive shoulder injuries( unless sport specific)
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Don't get your panties in a wad. The ultimate cry of people who have no research to back outlandish claims is "you can find a study to back anything." That's lazy and untrue. I'm not talking about a study or two- I'm talking about the hundreds of textbooks on anatomy and kinesiology for physical therapists that ALL day the same thing- there's no difference. So far as I know, instability presented with flat bench pressing is also going to be present with an incline press because the scapula and GHJ are going through the same ROM with the same stress to the anterior and posterior capsules and stabilizers.

Yes absolutely I have taken NSAIDs for shoulder pain. I've also taken them for knee pain, low back pain, and/or hip pain- when you train for 15+ years you tend to have a bit of inflammation now and again.

When I have said that leg extension machines are knee wreckers, I've explained that it's due to anterior tibial translation and a lack of cocontraction from the hamstrings. Rather than get pissy and defensive, why not address what I respectfully asked- WHY do you believe they're bad for your shoulders? If you're going to make a blanket statement like that at least know enough about the anatomy involved to be able to back your perspective. -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard901
Is there any need for it? Would I be better off hitting flat bench more for size?


If it's only chest dev you're after they're not needed, it does however have a place for people that don't want to or can't overhead press without pain or some injury since incline presses recruits the anterior deltoids to pretty much the same degree (if not more) as vertical ones (ohp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtdreams92
Can you do dips instead? I think they are better.. Especially if you can do weighted ones.


Better for what? They recruit the chest less and are rather nasty for the shoulders, especially if one uses a full ROM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmothyGen
Decline is king.


The least effective inclination according to this study.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Popping in to add, that after checking several sources, I'm mistaken- inclines are actually WORSE for shoulders because they place the GHJ in 90 degrees of abduction and 90 degrees ER, creating more instability and also add increased stress to the inferior and middle glenohumeral ligament complex by increasing anteroinferior and anterior shoulder instability. This is established anatomy, accepted by orthopedics and therapists, not a lone study or reference from a non-medically trained "coach."

As always, pressing of any kind is safest with use of DBs in the scaption plane. -3X
Post 15 IP   flag post
csizemore21 private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight your right, I am not going to argue with you. Have a good day sir
Post 16 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not arguing. I'm constantly learning- we all are. I asked for the reason you made your claim. If that constitutes an argument for you, then that's your deal, not mine. I'd love to be able to advise any one of my post-op RC or shoulder replacement patients with better info after they're discharged. -3X
Post 17 IP   flag post
Snowboard901 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for all the info I'm going to stick with just flat. Wish I could delete my thread now. I fucked up posting this lol.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
So you're going to do flat because some guy on a forum told you to do so. How about you try everything and see what works for you. I do incline a lot because I get a great contraction and pump from it, I also do flat bench. But ek im glad you posted a guy who only does flat bench....don't know what the point of that was, but the separation comes from muscularity and bone structure, but if you don't have muscular delts and "upper chest" you want have it period. I believe incline gives me great results for my chest as a whole. Science can back
Up a ton but it sometimes can't explain individual results to a stimulus
Post 19 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
@Snowboard901 You could incorporate both and see how you like it. If you were to do either one or the other, I'd personally go with flat because you can move more weight.
Post 20 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
"So you're going to to incline because some guy on a forum told you to do so."

^^see how nicely that turns around on you?

You have no idea if you'd get fantastic results only doing flat bench because you haven't tried that long enough to know. I have. So between the two of us, I'm the one with valid individual results to a stimulus.

How is anyone supposed to take you seriously when you think bone structure is a factor in how defined a muscle is?? -3X
Post 21 IP   flag post
LVjack private msg quote post Address this user
I did flat straight bar 315x5, incline DB 115x10, then weighted dips with 135lbs (3 plates) hanging from me for sets of 8 today. My current weight is 185lbs so I think that's pretty good at 33 years old. I did all exersies because I really enjoy doing them. You should not only go strictly by science (even though I know that's what your question was about) but do your workout based on what you enjoy doing. Variety makes things fun. Best of luck!

PS:Not that my weight for exersies are amazing but if anyone doubts some of those lifts I'm sure there are some videos on @fit_jacknkatie to prove I'm not just throwing out bullshit lift stories.

PSS: Purely to answer you question though, do more flat to get a bigger chest.
Post 22 IP   flag post
adam82a private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hijack this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
When I have said that leg extension machines are knee wreckers, I've explained that it's due to anterior tibial translation and a lack of cocontraction from the hamstrings.


Has this been discussed in a thread recently? It would be interesting to read up on the discussion because a few questions popped up in my head
Post 23 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVjack
I did flat straight bar 315x5, incline DB 115x10, then weighted dips with 135lbs (3 plates) hanging from me for sets of 8 today. My current weight is 185lbs so I think that's pretty good at 33 years old. I did all exersies because I really enjoy doing them. You should not only go strictly by science (even though I know that's what your question was about) but do your workout based on what you enjoy doing. Variety makes things fun. Best of luck!

PS:Not that my weight for exersies are amazing but if anyone doubts some of those lifts I'm sure there are some videos on @fit_jacknkatie to prove I'm not just throwing out bullshit lift stories.

PSS: Purely to answer you question though, do more flat to get a bigger chest.


Best answer!

@adam82a http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13050/page/1/hamquadkneewut/

-3X
Post 24 IP   flag post
adam82a private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight

@adam82a http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/13050/page/1/hamquadkneewut/

-3X


Thanks, that cleared up a few things At first I didnt understand how you could get an anterior translation of tibia in a leg extension machine. Then I realized thats what happens to the tibia head when the weight is place just above the talocrural joint in a leg extension machine. Makes sense, havent thought about it that way
Post 25 IP   flag post
GrizzlyBerg private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzst



Uh oh @Perfidy


Talks about "upper" chest and shoulders. Posts pic showing off triceps to try and add credibility. Awesome job.
Post 26 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzst



Uh oh @Perfidy


Talks about "upper" chest and shoulders. Posts pic showing off triceps to try and add credibility. Awesome job.

I like zyzzst's face and arms actually.. but sorry where is the chest? especially since this thread is about 'incline bench', ie chest.
And you have to put the nail clipper away, lol its really grosse!
Post 27 IP   flag post
SOLARSUPLEX private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to chime in...
My qualifications to make claims include: nothing.

First, I'm actually really surprised by how that ^^ went. Nobody got pissy and started cursing out the other member.

I agree with @LVjack 1009%. Doing phat, the template states flat bench, incline bench, dips.

In that order I swear to god my chest had grown it's most.

This is where I make claims that have nothing besides personal experience to back them up.
Flat bench=heavy weight and amazing at moving a lot of shit.
Incline bench(db specifically)= great for getting that 'pump' and really working on connecting your mind and muscles. Something I have not been able to do as well on flat bench.
Dips= finish everything off with a solid emphasis on triceps.

Hit some cable flys and whatever tricep shit you want and call it.

^ assuming you are doing s bro split.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Zyzzst private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzst



Uh oh @Perfidy


Talks about "upper" chest and shoulders. Posts pic showing off triceps to try and add credibility. Awesome job.


Oh really? Actually this pic was posted because perfidy commented that I didn't have a pic of myself. So I posted one I readily had available to shut him up. Good try tho grizzly. Shows your credibility because you try picking a fight before reading.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Perfidy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzst
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzst



Uh oh @Perfidy


Talks about "upper" chest and shoulders. Posts pic showing off triceps to try and add credibility. Awesome job.


Oh really? Actually this pic was posted because perfidy commented that I didn't have a pic of myself. So I posted one I readily had available to shut him up. Good try tho grizzly. Shows your credibility because you try picking a fight before reading.


You posted a pic where you look worse than who you've been criticizing today.. you really showed me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBerg

Talks about "upper" chest and shoulders. Posts pic showing off triceps to try and add credibility. Awesome job.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340764 60 30
destitute