Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Misc.Split AdviceStrength TrainingTechnique

Q's on Tut, Metcon, Negatives, Totals16461

qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey strength gurus! Apologies if the title made no sense lol but I'm tired and not sure how to word it. Anyhow we had an INBA accredited trainer come in to do a workshop and seminar for staff and rsvp members. He mention a few concepts that is new to me and was wondering if anyone tried these techniques to comment if they are useful infact? or is it spinning the wheels so as to speak.

Typing out my notes as follows..

Time under tension - holding the weight for longer (including rest pauses) will increase strength and muscle growth.

Met Conditioning - Reduce rest time to 10-30 seconds between sets or exercise if poss to improve metabolic fitness.

Negatives - Slow the negatives down. Include forced negatives in your training (?)

Totals - the reps don't even matter, the total amounts of weight lifted does. so you can do more sets but less reps for the same result.

if its all good then I like to try it in my own training! Ta.
Sorry I forgot to mention I work in a gym. its a 24/7 gym.
Post 1 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Rest pause for pro bodybuilders who have exhausted all atributes of hypertrophy training.

TUT just control the weight on the way down.
Condish- rest as long as needed between hyper sets but u could do a conditioning day where u do small rest times if u wish.

Negatives again no need just control the weight.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^ agree with the above with the caveat that eccentric movements have definitely been shown to increase strength and hypertrophy quicker than concentric due to the actions of the sliding filament theory. Controlled slow negatives are a useful tool, IMO. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks @FiremanSi @eknight for explaining it so well as usual!

Does hyper sets mean work sets? If it is then would it be useful to do metcon in the warm up sets, back off sets and for ISO exercises?
I don't know what sliding filament theory means but it sounds good lol.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@qtdreams92 taken from https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/eccentricUNM.html

"Muscle is a tension-producing tissue that is comprised of small contractile units referred to as sarcomeres (See Figure 1). The sarcomere contains thick (myosin) and thin (actin) myofilaments (muscle filaments or proteins), which overlap to allow for the formation of a cross-bridge bond (attachment). The cross-bridge (or sliding filament) theory of muscle contraction states that the shortening of a muscle occurs as the myosin cross-bridges cyclically attach to actin and draw the actin across the myosin, thereby creating force and shortening (Herzog et al., 2008). Herzog and colleagues add that each of the cross-bridge attachment/detachment cycles is powered by the splitting of one molecule of adenosinetriphosphate (ATP). This shortening, contraction cycle is referred to as a concentric action (or contraction). Concentric muscle actions are seen anytime a muscle performs work such as walking on level ground, kicking a ball, or picking up a weight.

An eccentric muscle contraction, on the other hand, is the stretching of a muscle in response to an opposing force on that muscle, in which the opposing force (weight being lifted) is greater than its current force production. When the myofilaments of a muscle fiber are stretched while contracting (i.e, doing an eccentric contraction), Herzog and colleagues (2008) propose there may be a decreased rate of cross-bridge detachments (thus an increased PERCENTAGE of cross-bridges remain attached) leading to greater force production on the eccentric bout. In addition, Herzog et al. add that there is an increase in the stiffness of the titin protein (see Figure 1) during the eccentric contraction. Titin adds a passive (i.e., a tautness) force enhancement to the muscle's force production while being lengthened (under load). Herzog and colleagues speculate that other, not fully elucidated, metabolic force enhancement changes in the sarcomere are also occurring during eccentric muscle actions."

-3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
Well, I am saving that onto my book marks @eknight ! Cheers.

@FiremanSi Can you explain what hyper sets mean? Are they like super sets (combine exercises b2b). Or is hyper = AMRAP sets?

Secondly is it possible to do metcon in warm up sets, back off sets and ISO exercises?
Post 6 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
Metcon is just short to metabolic conditioning. It's just crossfit slang for cardio, generally of the hiit variety. You can fit it wherever you feel comfortable. Though if you're training for strength it's probably wise to do conditioning after you've done your strength work.
Post 7 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtdreams92
Well, I am saving that onto my book marks @eknight ! Cheers.

@FiremanSi Can you explain what hyper sets mean? Are they like super sets (combine exercises b2b). Or is hyper = AMRAP sets?

Secondly is it possible to do metcon in warm up sets, back off sets and ISO exercises?

It's just short for hypertrophy sets.. ur reading too much into all this.. just get a program and stick to it, train hard, eat well, sleep and u'll be fine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi haha you have no idea how much mystery you brought into my day by using this word 'hyper'.
Post 9 IP   flag post
340735 9 9
destitute