Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
OHPloser private msg quote post Address this user
Recently seen a couple of 3dmj videos showing Alberto Nunez and Brad Loomis using a check list style of training which I've never seen before.
They have all the exercises they have to complete in the week and then sort of do it as and when throughout the week. Has anyone ever used this style of training?
it's towards the end.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
This style of training (for accessory movements) is similar to flexible dieting. Just replace importance of total calories/macros with total volume and the importance of nutrient timing with when you perform the accessory work throughout the week.

The most important thing is to hit the total volume and seek progressive overload in that total volume. While the timing of training has importance too (just like nutrient timing has benefits) its just not as important as total volume and is meaningless if your total volume progression is not appropriate.

This style of training just allows you to be more flexible with your life demands, just like flexible dieting. Is it the most "optimal" in absolute terms for strength/hypertrophy? Probably not, but it might just be the most "optimal" for a person with a busy life to train.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Full disclosure - Berto is my coach and while I have assigned accessory work for each day. If I end up missing some of it, I always try to make it up later in the week to hit my total volume goal
Post 3 IP   flag post
I liked the idea for the flexibility as I get bored quickly and gave been on p/p/l legs since the start of 2015.

I'm sure you'd still have to have a basic set up though as Alberto says he's kind of does whole body or set it up upper lower.
Post 4 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Not my style, I'd go for more conventional. Don't like to get caught up in all this fancy stuff. If you're short on time, do circuit or HIT training. Keep things simple👌
Post 5 IP   flag post
Sorry danimal bit confused with timing of training? As in timing of accessory work?

I was thinking it wasn't to fancy haha just have my checklist get in and get it fine before the weeks out without having a designated push day etc
Post 6 IP   flag post
Also if you were to take on this approach to training what is an adequate level of volume for muscle groups without taking into account weaknesses etc
Post 7 IP   flag post
@OHPloser totally dependent on the person (training age, genetics, goals, etc.) The quick answer is you should use the lowest amount of volume possibly to still achieve your goals and then to see progressive overload from there.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll have to have a tinker around with my training and see, just seem to get bored around 6-8 weeks in to something looks like a potential way to keep things different but structure is always good hmmmm cheers for the advice
Post 9 IP   flag post
340762 9 9
destitute