Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5 3 1Split AdviceTraining Programs

5/3/1 query16452

aesthet1x private msg quote post Address this user
Hey buddies, hope ur making gainsss
So I just recently came back from a wrist injury (been out for 4 months including recovery) and now I wanna get back on track and gain som strength as well as mass.
So I've picked 5/3/1 and started this routine bout a month ago:
I calculated my weights from Strength Standardsand I got something like:

OHP (5/3/1)
BenchPress 5x10 (50%)
Chinups 5x10
Triceps accesory work

SQUATS (5/3/1)
Deadlifts 5x10 (50%)
Leg curls 5x10
Abs

BENCHPRESS (5/3/1)
OHP 5x10 (50%)
B.O. Rows 5x10 (50%)
Biceps work

DEADLIFTS (5/3/1)
Squats 5x10
Rear delts work
Abs

So, here comes my trouble. I found some other pages and calculators like BlackIronBeast that throw differents sets and series from what strength standards said, for example
In strstd you are suposed to do three sets of each main movement, week 1 5 reps, week 2 3 reps, week 3, 5,3,1 reps.
But in the other calculator im told to do like five sets of everything, or something like that. What u guys recommend?

And also, I've finished the first month, and I don't know how to move on to the next, I just add 5lbs to all my sets n reps? or what? Id appreciate any answer u could give to me, sorry for my english, peace
Post 1 IP   flag post
qtdreams92 private msg quote post Address this user
One of my training partners is doing the 531. That template in your post looks like big but boring?

Edit: just asked and yea, it is. What you want is 'simplest strength template' or 'triumvirate'.. Also suggest read the book first, 531 has a lot of things to learn and you want to have it all clear in your head before starting it.

Edit2: progression should be 10lbs on lower body, 5lbs on upper body each cycle.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beans private msg quote post Address this user
Running it right now, I do Week 1: 5,5,AMAP, Week 2:3,3,AMAP, Week 3:5,5,5,3,1.

Sets of 12-15 for 5 sets for 2 accessory movements each day.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Every time I see the word Amrap it reminds me of crossfit
Post 4 IP   flag post
Dem41 private msg quote post Address this user
like @qtdreams92 posted that is the BBB template, one thing about the 5/3/1 program is there are tons of templates to choose from it is going to depend on your goals. i would get one of the books, the second edition is great, as is 5/3/1 and beyond.

the add 10/5 lbs this is to your TRAINING max, not your 1rm, since 5/3/1 is off percentages, its not always adding 5/10 lbs to each set.

oh one thing that Mr Wendler has pushed is adding in more upper back work in between sets, ex face pulls/band pull aparts
Post 5 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@qtdreams92 don't worry; we have no tolerance for that type of nonsense. Except for possibly @NorIda who gets a pass

@aesthet1x BBB on the Strength Standards site is a good guide. Like @Beans says your final set is 5+, 3+, or 1+.

Going up 5 lbs. every cycle is a good goal. No need to rush ahead; just do more reps on your + sets. As long as I'm at or above the minimum requirement the previous month then I add 5 lbs. the next time through. If stop meeting or passing the requirements then restart the program with your training maxes.

The only customization I make to 531 is that I do it as 351 so there's a heavy week (3), lighter week (5), then heaviest week (1), then deload.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Oh, and I would nix the leg curls as one of your accessories per EK's advice in other threads
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew

The only customization I make to 531 is that I do it as 351 so there's a heavy week (3), lighter week (5), then heaviest week (1), then deload.

i am running this setup currently, like the feel of it, along with the 5's pro with SSL
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Oh, and I would nix the leg curls as one of your accessories per EK's advice in other threads

This is big. Only doing dead and squats for legs will kill your knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtdreams92
Every time I see the word Amrap it reminds me of crossfit

Haha I have no hate for crossfit. Different strokes.

And to add to what @Dem41 said, 5/3/1 isn't really meant to increase your 1rm. All the percentages are based on 90% of your 1rm, not your true max. It's meant to increase your maxes of multiple reps.
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@mikew did you mean extensions? -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
@eknight uhhhh... yep, you're right. I thought "leg curls" = "leg extensions" but now I see that "leg curls" = "hamstring curls".

Thanks for the correction and sorry for the confusion.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hey guys, thanks for the imput.
@qtdreams92 you're right it is. And that is the progression im going for. thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem41

the add 10/5 lbs this is to your TRAINING max, not your 1rm, since 5/3/1 is off percentages, its not always adding 5/10 lbs to each set.

I think I didnt get that right. Should I add 5lbs (or 10 if lower body) to my training max only? and if that so, that would be the 1+ set?
Thanks!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthet1x
Hey guys, thanks for the imput.
@qtdreams92 you're right it is. And that is the progression im going for. thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem41

I think I didnt get that right. Should I add 5lbs (or 10 if lower body) to my training max only? and if that so, that would be the 1+ set?
Thanks!

rough example, say your 1rm on deadlift was 200 lbs
you use 85-90% of that to calculate your training max, 180 lbs this is what wendler uses as your training max, and calculates your percentages from for all work/weeks. for the first week, first cycle
65% 117x5
75% 135x5
85% 153x5+

after a cycle 3/4 weeks, your training max goes to 190, and your lifts look like this
65% 120x5
75% 138x5
85% 157x5+

your training max effects all of the main work not just the last 1+ amrap.

the strength standards site i believe just calculates this all for you based on your 1rm, i use a 12 month spreadsheet from excell so i dont have to think about it, just load the bar with this weeks weights lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Dem41 Ok now I get it. Appreciate your help mate! I think im going for the excell spreadsheet too.
Thanks you all guys

by the way, how do the excersises split look?
Post 14 IP   flag post
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
I would drop the OHP... it's not really necessary or healthy.

Edit - took the bruh talk to PM
Post 15 IP   flag post
@aesthet1x I run something like this currently:

Workout 1:
OHP
Dips
Chin ups

Workout 2:
Deadlift
Bent over row
Hanging leg raises

Workout 3:
Bench
CGBP
Seated rows

Workout 4:
Squats
Hamstring curls
Planks

I'm cutting and playing a couple of sports atm, so I'm taking it easy on the number of exercises.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberthis

The overhead press right? Can you explain why it's not healthy to do them?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberthis

Absolutely agree. I came in to say that one other major customization I made to 531 is to omit OHP day altogether and do a dynamic upper body day (chest and back) instead.
Post 18 IP   flag post
340630 18 18
destitute