Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Misc.Power LiftingSplit Advice

25 mm barbell16435

Hambo private msg quote post Address this user
Hi fellows,

Will 25 mm barbell break if you load it heavily?

Thanks a lot for answer.
Post 1 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
Break, probably not. Bend, almost certainly.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for answer,
What to do all my weights were 25 mm. I invested in alot of weights. It would be bad if the 25 mm barbell bends or breaks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Is 50 mm barbell stronger than 25 mm barbell?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Do they sell strong 25 mm barbells?
Post 5 IP   flag post
A 50mm barbell is "stronger" than a 25mm, it probably has about 16 times the flexural rigidity. The sleeves on the end of 25mm barbells are usually the same size as the 50mm sleeves, so I'd imagine you can still use all of your weights.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I don't believe they do, and if they do they would have to make it out of something other than steel. If i recall correctly, the flexion that occurs in a bar is quartically related to the bars diameter.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for answer,

Which part of barbell is sleeve?
Post 8 IP   flag post
No problem. The sleeves are the wider diameter tubes on both ends of the bar with a tapered disc.

They are the part where you slide the weights on.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks.
The sleeves are diffent thereby the names 25 mm and 50 mm.
Post 10 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
It depends a LOT on the quality of the bar too. There are plenty of 28mm bars that are only rated at 300-400lb and others that are rated at well over 1000lb.

I have a "standard" weight set with 25mm bar. I have deadlifted over 400lb and the bar did not bend. However, when I had to drop a 375lb squat behind me the bar did bend as it crashed to the ground.

I now have a 28mm Oly bar rated at 1000lb and it is proving very solid so far.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks for answer. I guess the 50 mm barbell is called olympic barbell. What are 25mm barbells called.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I've never actually seen a 50mm bar btw. I'm just assuming they exist because he's asking about them. I usually just see 25s and 28s. And most of the 28s are rated, and 25s arent. 25s are usually juniors bars, and often arent rated for that reason... They just dont usually get that much weight dumped on them.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks again.
What does it mean that 25 mm is not rated?
Does it mean they are weak?
Post 14 IP   flag post
I think the better question is what do you mean by a 50mm barbell and a 25mm barbell. Because 50mm is considerably wider than a texas squat bar... Nobody sells those as far as I know and even if they did, you'd never be able to grip it.

There are really 3 different types of barbells. You have mens, womens and kids bars. Men's are 20kg at 28mm, women's are 15kg at 25mm and kid's are 10kg at 25mm.

Barbells are often rated or guaranteed not to bend or break up to a maximum load. For whatever reason, kids and womens bars often arent rated (I don't think rogue rates their womens and kids bars for example).

Like @wannabemuscular said, 25mm bars can be pretty strong. But if you're going to squat heavy, then there is a good chance they will bend if you spill it. There is a good chance a 28mm bar will bend when you start squatting heavy too, unless you get a good bar.

Unless you have a really good reason not to just buy a high quality bar from Ivanko, or buy one of the rated rouge ones.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks databas 1c for your indepth explanation.
In kilograms how much do you think my 25 mm barbell (it does not have guarantee) can manage?

When I say 25 mm I mean the diameter of the weight plates holes.
Post 16 IP   flag post
That makes so much more sense...

The sleeve on all standard barbells is 50mm, and so the diameter of the hole in the weights for all of the bars I mentioned was 50mm.

If you have weights that have a hole with a 25mm diameter, it sounds like you have something like one of those les mills body pump weight sets or some other type of home fitness weight kit.

Those things are pretty much garbage, and the bars are even hollow if i remember correctly. So the bad news is that you cant really put any significant load on those without them breaking.

The good news is that the sleeves are relatively short and the weight increments are pretty small. So I dont think you could physically load enough weight onto that bar to bend it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
What do you suggest I do then?
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Hambo Take a picture. Sounds like you just have a "standard" bar, not "olympic". Nothing wrong with it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
databas 1c I think you are wrong since said they had 25mm and 50 mm.

What about you wannabemuscular do you believe as databas 1c said "That makes so much more sense...

The sleeve on all standard barbells is 50mm, and so the diameter of the hole in the weights for all of the bars I mentioned was 50mm.

If you have weights that have a hole with a 25mm diameter, it sounds like you have something like one of those les mills body pump weight sets or some other type of home fitness weight kit.

Those things are pretty much garbage, and the bars are even hollow if i remember correctly. So the bad news is that you cant really put any significant load on those without them breaking.

The good news is that the sleeves are relatively short and the weight increments are pretty small. So I dont think you could physically load enough weight onto that bar to bend it."
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by databas1c
That makes so much more sense...

The good news is that the sleeves are relatively short and the weight increments are pretty small. So I dont think you could physically load enough weight onto that bar to bend it.

I think you are wrong since they sold both 25 mm and 50 mm.
What do you think about the matter, wannabemuscular?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Barbells are measured by the bar diameter, not the diameter of the sleeve. You keep referring to bars by their sleeve diameter which was why I was initially confused.

If the hole in the center of your weights is 25mm, that means the sleeve on your bar is 25mm. If the sleeve on your bar is 25mm, that means that the bar must be smaller than 25mm, so its a pretty thin bar.

I had no idea what type of bar had a 25mm sleeve, so I googled "25mm weight set" and came up with this

These types of weights wont fit on any standard barbell. They are often used for things like body pump, or group fitness classes. Generally the bars associated with these weights are either hollow tubes, or basically long pieces of rebar. They wont stand up to significant loading.

If you had the 50mm weights, they would fit on any standard barbell. You could load those onto any good bar.
Post 22 IP   flag post
This is a "standard" weight set. There is no sleeve. The bar is all one diameter:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19734976&cp=4406646.4413986.12598195
Post 23 IP   flag post
My barbell has both 25 mm sleeves and 25 mm bar diameters.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I've never used these types of bars so I'll defer to @wannabemuscular. The bar diameter is the same as many barbells you find in any gym though, so it could potentially be as strong as any other bar, like he said he deadlifted over 180kg with it.

Sorry for the confusion by the way, somehow I missed a couple of posts when I was replying. And looking back at it, had I read them I could have given you a much clearer answer several posts ago.
Post 25 IP   flag post
No problems.
Post 26 IP   flag post
340621 26 26
destitute